We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for a few days in Singapore

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
572 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for a few days in Singapore

Hello fellow TA members. I will be heading to Singapore after a few days in HK and will be arriving at 1:30AM. I just have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with. There is no time limit to how long I'll be staying in Singapore because from there I have over a month to backpack to Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, and Saigon, but I have been reading a lot and most people say 2-3 days is enough to see Singapore.

Is the Airport okay to stay until the morning? Do they have lounge or places open to keep me busy until I head to the hotel in the morning to check in? I'll be going on a 53 days trip including 6 in HK and 2 weeks in Japan so saving money is important to me. I will be heading to KL and Penang afterward, is there any other places in Malaysia I should check out before heading to Phuket? I saw that there's a train from Singapore to KL and near Penang and take a bus/taxi into town? I know I'm asking about Malaysia too but I thought instead of creating another thread over there, I might able to get some help here.

Thank you guys!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for a few days in Singapore

hi, there is a transit hotel in each terminal, you can book a 6hour block. The transit hotel is popular so you should book ahead. There are also free napping areas, the one at terminal 3 is the best and though often busy and full. There are public lounges you can rest or watch tv, free video games, free movie theaters, a butterfly garden, free internet stations and free wifi.

How long to stay in Singapore really depends on your personal preferences: Singapore is great for urban explorer and has some nature attractions.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
572 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for a few days in Singapore

Sounds awesome, I think that will keep me busy until the morning and then I can head out to the hotel. I love food so from hearing about it and watching Anthony Bourdain, I've been really excited to go to Singapore and eat at all those Hawker Centre. I'm planning to stay for 2 full day and then head out to Melaka in Malaysia. I might stay another day depending on how much I'll like it there.

Is there any must try food place there? I know a lot of places sell the same stuff but there's usually one that has the best. I guess always follow where there's a line. Any pub/bars that expats and travelers go to?

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Melaka
Melaka
Central Melaka District, Malaysia
Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for a few days in Singapore

Hello RaianV,

You did not mention, are you by any chance travelling on a budget airline from HK to Singapore? This may affect you ability to remain airside.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
572 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for a few days in Singapore

it's not a budget airline. I'm flying with United, I tried my best to avoid flying with them but it was the cheapest with them and ANA for all the stops that I'm having.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for a few days in Singapore

You might want to consider a short stop in Malacca. It has a Baba Nonya Heritage museum and some Portugese architecture.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for a few days in Singapore

If you are not looking at catching some sleep after your arrival at 1:30 AM, you may want to explore the supper spots in Singapore instead. For example, Swee Choon Dim Sum, a popular supper spot in Singapore, will be open then. I watched the episode where Anthony Bourdain had his 24 hour layover in Singapore- you can't miss out on all that food!

For bars/pubs, you might want to try Haji Lane, Clarke Quay area, Duxton Hill etc.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Haji Lane
Haji Lane
738 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Clarke Quay
Clarke Quay
2,841 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for a few days in Singapore

For Food & What to see in Singapore (And Save some $$), U might want to check out those Articles in the following Topic; Which U can find Under Top Questions About Singapore (Top RIght corner & Best View from Desktop):

Food & Drink ___________________________

Food & Drink > Dining Options

Food & Drink > High Tea / Afternoon Tea

Food & Drink > Food courts & Hawker centres

Food & Drink > Famous local foods to eat in Singapore

Another Food Blog that I love to check : http://ieatishootipost.sg/

Visiting ________________________________

Visiting > What to see/do in Singapore

Visiting > What to see/do - Free or Low Cost (under Sgd$5 per person)

Visiting > What to see/do in Singapore (Attractions around Circle Line MRT Station)

Visiting > Tripadivisor City Guides App

Malaysia / Thailand / Vietnam Forum have their Local TA expert - that Why it benefit U to post Ur Qs in the Respective Forum.......To Get the best & Updated Information that help Ur trip....

Have Fun

Edited: 1:24 am, December 15, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for a few days in Singapore

Hi RaianV,

No worries. Flying with full service airline, you can remain airside and enjoy the facilities there.

changiairport.com/at-changi/leisure-indulgen…

Once you are ready to leave the airport, clear immigration and then make your way to the Lost&Found counter in the middle of the arrival hall to claim your checked in luggage.

Cheers.

9. Re: Itinerary for a few days in Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 17, 2014