We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIM cards/mobile phones

Australia
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
SIM cards/mobile phones

Hi

I don't fully understand about SIM cards in other countries but my mobile company here told me this abt using my mobile in Singapore...

"Global Roaming charges are dependent on overseas networks and may vary without notice and also include an administration fee. In general Global Roaming charges are higher than if you were using the local SIM from the overseas country in which you’re using the service."

My question should I get a SIM card in Singapore, a local one? Can I do this? How do I pay for calls as I am billed monthly here. How much do they cost?

agaveplant

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
597 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SIM cards/mobile phones

you need to predict how often you will be using your mobile phone while on holiday.

do you need to make calls often?

if phone home, then it is cheaper to get a pre-paid discounted calling card in Singapore and go to the payphone to call home.

if to make calls in Singapore (e.g. on business), then use this service

…singtel.com/consumer/products/mobile/visiti…

do you need to call and receive calls often? you can buy a pre-paid SIM card, but it is a bit of a hassle to register it (due to terrorist/security restrictions)

e.g. hi! card

…singtel.com/consumer/…hicard_overview.asp

you can buy this at any post office or 7-11.

if only to send/receive text messages, use your normal SIM card.

all aussie networks can roam easily in Singapore, but just that it is not so cheap.

Meningie, Australia
Level Contributor
331 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SIM cards/mobile phones

Thread hijacker here...

Does a Vodafone pre-paid SIM work in Singapore?

Cheers Troy

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
597 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SIM cards/mobile phones

dear hijacker

i think so. but you need to inform vodafone to "switch on" your roaming.

vodafone.com.au/rep/coverage/vw_prepay.jsp…

Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SIM cards/mobile phones

You could buy a prepaid/postpaid SIM card at any handphone retailer in Singapore. The retailer would requrie you to produce your passport/Indentification documents to register for you SIM card due to internal secury rules. There are three main mobile operators in singapore: Singtel,M1 and StarHub. They will accept payments by cheque, credit cards or Nets at AXS or SAM stations. The average cost of a minute of call is 15.75 cents and a SMS will cost 5 cents whereas a MMS will cost from 20 cents according to the amount of data sent to your receipient. Global Roaming and calling will cost you more as both networks(home and away) will chage you. About Handphones, you can get them at $50 at a second-hand handphone shop. They are usually in not very good but useable condition.

NOTE:Currency conversion rate is 1.55 SGD = 1 USD

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SIM cards/mobile phones

That statement is pretty universal and applies to all roaming users, regardless of where they're from or where they go to. All it means is that when you are in SIN you will pay more for making calls compared to say me, who has a SIM card with a Singapore service provider.

If you anticipate making and receiving a lot of local calls while in SIN, you'd do better to get a local prepaid SIM (takes 20 minutes, have your passport handy). However, if you're in SIN for a holiday (and by your post re the MRT it sounds like you will be) and what you want to do is just ring for the odd cab or restaurant locally, then don't worry about getting a local SIM. It'll cost you a bit more but won't break the bank. For that you need to go to India!

6. Re: SIM cards/mobile phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, August 16, 2009