We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around from Botanical Gardens to Orchard Road, etc.

Cebu City
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
Getting around from Botanical Gardens to Orchard Road, etc.

Hi All.

I would like to ask for advice regarding how to go to these places in one day that is most time-saving and convenient.

Starting point @ Novena MRT. This is where our hotel shuttle bus would drop us off. Leave the hotel very early in the morning. We are 5 in our group.

A) Early morning til 1:00 PM - Botanical Gardens/Orchid Garden

B) 1:00 - til late in the evening. For (B), not necessarily in this order:

Orchard Road (ION, Orchard Central, Takashimaya, etc.) / St Joseph's Church / Merlion / Clark Quay / National Museum of Singapore/Singapore Museum of Art / One Fullerton / Little India / Kampong Glam / Marina Bay Sands/Gardens by the Bay / other nearby attractions that I missed in the list..

Is the hop-on-hop-off bus a suitable option for transportation? Any info with regards the route, starting point, designated bus stop, time interval in waiting for the next bus,etc..? Also, I've read somewhere that some buses don't stop when the passengers ask them to that they miss the attractions. Or that it takes time to get on the next bus because sometimes its already full.

Is using the MRT and public bus more convenient? How about using a Singapore Tourist Pass ? Is this the same as EZ Link?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around from Botanical Gardens to Orchard Road, etc.

A combination of MRT and walking will be the best way. Take the MRT from Novena to

Botanical Gardens MRT via Bishan. Then walk through the Gardens to the Orchard exit and then to Orchard Road. Aim to be at Ion before 12 noon otherwise it all gets all too hot. Once you at the malls it's all airconditioned so walking is between buildings is fine.

From Somerset MRT after Orchard Central head down a couple of stops to City Hall MRT. From here everything on your list ( besides Little India ) is within walking distance.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
20,735 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around from Botanical Gardens to Orchard Road, etc.

Hello,

I usually get the MRT to the Botanic gardens stop, when walk through and stop off at the Orchid Garden, then keep walking through to the Tanglin Gate of the Botanic Gardens. Just across the road from the main gate there is a bus stop outside Gleneagles Hospital. Most of the buses go around and up Tanglin Road up into Orchard Road. Get off at any of these along Orchard Road. The map below shows the botanic gardens and location of the bus stop.

gothere.sg/maps#q:gleneagles%20hospital

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around from Botanical Gardens to Orchard Road, etc.

hello, mrt and buses will bring you to most of the sightseeing places in Singapore. You need to pay the exact fare for a bus. Remote attractions like zoo, jurong bird park, ... take some time to reach with buses.

ez-link is a stored value card to be use on mrt and buses. you can use an ez-link as long as you have enough stored otherwise you need to top up the card at mrt stations. The ez-link in interesting to get when you stay 3 days and more: http://www.ezlink.com.sg/ez-link-card/

The tourist pass is card providing unlimited transport for 1, 2 or 3 days. After then the tourist pass can be used like a regular ez-link card: http://www.thesingaporetouristpass.com.sg/

I have myself an ez-link card I use when staying in Singapore.

Cebu City
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around from Botanical Gardens to Orchard Road, etc.

Thank you all for the information and tips. Through these, I have a better idea now. I'm going to take your suggestions into consideration and review my itinerary.

manila
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around from Botanical Gardens to Orchard Road, etc.

Piximeadow,

If you have an iPhone with an open line, I suggest you get a local sim card with data and download the NextRide app. It uses geotagging so it detects the nearest MRT or bus stop and fairly accurately calculates transit time, number of stops and even points your location on the map. Not sure if it is available for Android, but I have found it to be a lifesaver 9 out of 10 times. You can actually download it now and make dummy runs so you'll at least get an overview of your transit times between attractions.

Get the EZ link card and just top up as needed. Transport is cheap in Singapore so I won't bother with the tourist pass nor the HOHO pass.

Cebu City
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around from Botanical Gardens to Orchard Road, etc.

Hi viajeroManila,

Thanks, kabayan:). I downloaded NextRide app on iPad and it's a great help. It gives suggestions as to approximate distance and time interval to travel or walk between places. And the map routes are very useful too. There are like apps on Android as well which don't require to be online. Just in case, where can I buy local sim cards?

manila
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around from Botanical Gardens to Orchard Road, etc.

There is an M1 booth right outside T2 when you exit from customs (on the right). I got my nano and micro sims there. Ask the attendants to help you on the specific data top up you need. You can also look at the SingTel and M1 websites to give you an idea on the rates and data allowances.

Have fun.

8. Re: Getting around from Botanical Gardens to Orchard Road, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 09, 2014