We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fruits

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fruits

I do love "exotic " asian fruit! Durian, mangosteen, cherimoya, jack fruit...are all of these readily available in supermarkets? Special street stands? Where??

I have to go to Canada (Vancouver, Toronto) Chinatowns to find in some seasons over here. Otherwise it is frozen or canned and mangosteen is never found at all.

I LOOOVE Durian ice cream most of all!

singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fruits

durian: Many supermarkets carry it, I've seen it in carrefour and others. However, these will have their shell removed and wrapped in cling wrap. When the fruit is in season, it can be commonly found at just about every wet market. The geylang area would also have roadside stalls selling these.

mangosteen: Supermarkets or wetmarkets will carry it when it is in season. (Summer)

If you like durian puffs and other patry/products, you should pay goodwood park hotel a visit. :)

singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fruits

Sorry, I meant to say pastry instead of patry.

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
324 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fruits

See if I were you, I'd take the MRT out to one of the local wet markets - Chinatown, Bishan, Toa Payoh, Bedok or even Bugis or Tek Kah market and go to the fruit stores there to buy the stuff.

Whilst you are out there, go have breakfast at the hawker centre that is normally attached to the markets. See Singapore from the eyes of a local (albeit housewife)! =)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fruits

The Durian in Toronto Chinatown are Frozen & from Thailand & taste nothing like the one U get in asia or SG and the worst part, U pay atleast 10 times more the price U would have pay here in Sg in kg. Not to mention the Mangosteen, I found it at the fruit stall 2 doors away from Pho Hong (Famous Vietnamese restaurant on Spadina street), it is hard & inside was rotten most of the lot i bought. In Vancouver, I have a durian tree at the backyard wich seem to only be alive during summer ^__^. From the seed I got from my durian eating here in Sg 10yrs ago. If U want to do that, keep the seed from a good durian that U have eaten in Sg, wash it clean (Dun SCRUB), it is ok to still have fiber left, put it in a small container that layer with wet cotton bud. It should last 3 days till U put into moist soil back in Texas.

Well, that was just my nagging, here's the good part:

Durian is in season now till early September, mangoesteen should be out soon and Jackfruit is here all year round but more around this time too. U can find good durian in Geylang (along Sims Avenue, this stretch of road is the main road btw Geylang Lor 12 to 19). Else, Chinatown, right behind CK departmental store, at a corner, u can find few stall. U can also find many fruits in season at Bugis Village, the section facing Queens Road and ofcourse most stall in Chinatown & elsewhere. Durian are best when U peel the husk open urself with the initail open by the stall keeper.

Durian Icecream? Try that one at the corner of the kuali Cafe/restaurant at the First level of Suntec City Mall. Else, Goodwood Park does a good Durian Tiramisu too.

Have fun in Asia.