We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR of 9 day visit by family from Mumbai - Part 1/2

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
JBR of 9 day visit by family from Mumbai - Part 1/2

Hello everyone:

TRIP REPORT: 9 days in Singapore. Family is self (52), wife (46) and son (22).

PART-1: Days 1 to 5.

Day 1 Tue Jan 29: Landed at Changi from Mumbai around 800pm and reached our hotel YMCA International House on 1 Orchard Rd by taxi from the airport. Hotel review already posted on the hotels section.

After checking in, walked to Dhoby Ghaut MRT stn and had good spicy vegetarian Thai food at the food court in the station area (lower level).

Day 2 Wed: Sunny cloudless day ! After a decent breakfast at the hotel coffee shop, we took the MRT to Marina Bay stn and leisurely walked to the MBS promenade and then the Shoppes, etc. Lunch was at the Rasapura Food Court at the canal level – good veg choice of many cuisines!

From MBS, we went back to the hotel, rested for some time and then took the MRT to Chinatown. We went to the Seawheels Travel Agency to purchase our discounted tickets to many Singapore attractions - paid about S$594 – and saved close to S$100 in the process. Thanks TA forum!

Chinatown was in general very lively and the dragon was in place near Chinatown Point – as this was only a week before CNY. From here we had a light dinner of South Indian food at the Annalakshmi Restaurant near Havelock Square/Road. Interesting pricing indeed ! – they have no prices at all in the menu – you pay whatever you see fit !

From here, we took a cab back to the hotel and changed to a more appropriate dress (smart casual) for our visit to 1-Altitude Bar at One Raffles Place. We reached here around 9pm and being Wednesday, my wife could get in free (ladies night). We of course paid S$25 each for myself and my son – which includes entry tkt + one drink.

The views from the top are f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s indeed ! This is the highest open to sky bar in the world. Singapore skyline was a great sight and MBS looked ‘small’ – from this height. I believe MBS bldgs are about 200m tall – while 1-Altitude is at almost 300m height. We were at the bar for over an hour – before heading back to the hotel.

Day 3 Thu: USS day. Another sunny cloudless day ! After a quick breakfast, we walked to the Concorde Hotel for the free shuttle to RWSentosa. We took our passports – as this free service is meant only for foreign tourists. Unfortunately, they also insist on seeing the boarding / embarkation cards – and we had left these in the hotel. The bus has a notice prominently displayed at the door “…. Passport and embarkation card required…”.

The hotel being close – we simply went back to the hotel to get these cards and took the next free shuttle – reaching RWS / Universal Studios around 1045am.

USS was a pleasure ! We were here until 730pm and enjoyed our visit thoroughly – enjoying most of the rides also several times – hardly any waiting time. Transformers and Mummy rides were the best. We also tried out many of the restaurants – we loved the Luis café and Mel’s drive-In the most.

Unfortunately the Waterworld show was cancelled for the day – the only thing we missed out. Overall, we loved Shrek and NewYork / Hollywood the most. The finale was the Monster Rock show – quite hilarious and enjoyable indeed !

We left USS around 730pm and took the Sentosa express to the beach area and had an excellent pasta dinner at Bora Bora, below the I-Fly shop. Later, we also saw the Songs of the Sea – we found this to be a very ordinary and boring show. Back to the hotel by 11pm – after a very long and tiring day.

Day 4 Fri: Zoo + Night Safari Day. Another sunny cloudless day ! We had an easy time in the morning – had a leisurely breakfast. Then took the MRT to Ang Mo Kio followed by bus 138 to the Zoo – reaching there around 100pm.

Both the zoo and night safari were good experience – not too tiring and very different from similar zoos we have seen in other countries. The giant panda pavilion at the zoo was very good. Dinner was at the Bongo Café at Night Safari (veg burgers) – and we took the 11pm SAEx bus (S$ 4/50 each) to the city – it dropped us at Hotel Rendezvous Grand, close to our hotel.

ONE POINT: Many on TA forum advise not to club these two together. However, I feel that both are too far out from the city – so making 2 trips for these is a waste of time and money – IMHO. Maybe our plan to reach the zoo around 1pm worked out well.

Day 5 Sat: Another sunny cloudless day ! We took it easy in the morning and left around 11am by bus 502 from Orchard Rd to Marina Bay and spend a few great hours at Gardens by the Bay. Also went up to the walkway – an excellent photo opportunity indeed ! The two domes were great – though we were more impressed with Cloud Dome.

Lunch was at the Bakerzin café within the gardens – Italian pastas and beer – followed by excellent icecream at Seventh Heaven at the lower level of the domes. I think we paid S$5 odd for double scoop – much less than what we paid at many other locations.

Later we went back to the hotel for some rest and in the evening walked up to Clarke Quay – about a 15min walk from our hotel. We were here for an hour (great atmosphere!) – and then took the MRT to Little India for some hot Indian meal. Something we had missed for 4/5 days during the trip. Back to the hotel by 10pm or so.

Day 6 Sun: Our luck ran out ! - rainy day !

PART-2 – Days 6 to 9 follows later.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR of 9 day visit by family from Mumbai - Part 1/2

Hi KatoMumbai,

Enjoyed reading your JBR. Can't wait for the next installment !

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR of 9 day visit by family from Mumbai - Part 1/2

Fantastic review, very detailed to the point. I couldn't have seen Singapore enough but through your eyes.

Canberra
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR of 9 day visit by family from Mumbai - Part 1/2

We enjoyed USS too. I'm very envious that you had short waiting times!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR of 9 day visit by family from Mumbai - Part 1/2

KatoMumbai

Thank You for taking the time to write such a detail trip report.

I am so happy with the fact that U can check out the Zoo & The Night Safari in 1 Day itself. (The timing is a great part)

I also Note that U are able to find food that is suitable for Ur family, everywhere U all go.

Looking forward to Part 2

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR of 9 day visit by family from Mumbai - Part 1/2

Nice report.

I too consider and recommend Zoo and Night Safari same day, IF we are not with kids. If kids, then certainly Zoo start early morning and then its difficult to do Night Safari same day.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
594 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR of 9 day visit by family from Mumbai - Part 1/2

@Katomumbai - Thanks for the trip report. In fact I was looking forward to it since we are doing a similar trip for 8 days to Singapore in May.

Also I also noticed that we have being doing similar trips. My trips were also Hong Kong and Macau, followed by Malaysia (KL, Penang, Langkawi) and now Singapore!!

btw, did you visit Thailand? If you have the link for your trip report please let me know.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR of 9 day visit by family from Mumbai - Part 1/2

Hi ppxyz

I have been following your trip reports. I am seeing now is for Dubai. You do good time management.

You can have a view at my trip report for Bangkok.

tripadvisor.in/…47450306

Bay Area
Level Contributor
594 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR of 9 day visit by family from Mumbai - Part 1/2

Thanks @Sanjeev. Will check it out.

I have Thailand, Indonesia and Srilanka on the list.. Hopefully soon. Its always different to plan and see places thru the eyes of the kids!!!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
484 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR of 9 day visit by family from Mumbai - Part 1/2

Really enjoyed reading your JBR and looking forward to the next installment- me and the hubby are visiting singapore for the first time in just a few weeks. I was going to do the zoo and night safari on seperate days after reading TA posts on the forum but now i have read your report im considering doing them both on the same day like you did - you are right it does make more sense!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,192 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR of 9 day visit by family from Mumbai - Part 1/2

Great JBR part 1, looking forward to part 2.