We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Food Trail Day Tours

london
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore Food Trail Day Tours

Hi, my wife and I have three nights in Singapore at end of Feb. Seen some posts re the above and wondered what the destination experts' views were. I believe the tours are 3 hours long and start at 8pm, cost £55 a head. Sounded interesting to us as a chance to experience great local food under the guidance of those in the know. Thanks for any observations you might have.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
48,522 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore Food Trail Day Tours

<<m, cost £55 a head. Sounded interesting to us as a chance to experience great local food . >>

Honestly to me it sounds like a complete rip off......................

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,113 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore Food Trail Day Tours

Two of you can eat ''good local food'' at any number of Hawkers/Food-Courts for a fraction of that price. Typically a meal for two in Hawkers might cost from as little as £5.00. about $10sg dollars.

As regards a ''tour'', a little homework, planning and writing down a ''programme'' of things you might like to do will cost nothing.

Singapore is loaded with places to see, buildings and street oozing with history and culture.

I've included a map and a link of much of what there is to see and do, which I trust will be useful.

Have a great visit and feel free to ask as many questions as you wish. Ultimately it's your work and planning which will ensure how good your visit in Singapore will be.

The MRT rail system couldn't be easier to use and understand, as are the buses, simplicity themselves.

Good luck and enjoy. Alan.

streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g294265-Activi…

transitlink.com.sg/images/…mrt_sys_map.htm

Edited: 11:51 am, February 13, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
798 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore Food Trail Day Tours

Have to totally agree with the above.

Simply pick out a hawker centre, wander around and buy. A place like Lau Pa Sat will have everything you'd probably to try and you'd find it tough spending £20 between the pair of you. What we do is go to a stall at a time and share a meal to try ... just take two spoons and forks ...... then the next ... then the next etc. Particularly look for queues at stalls - that's a good sign.

Don't take the tour.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
93 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore Food Trail Day Tours

I also have the same question. Good thing I passed by this topic.. Thanks guys for enlightening ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
798 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore Food Trail Day Tours

Good. I was genuinely shocked to see that price. There is so much information about the hawker centres and to be frank you only need to know where they are and go!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
93 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore Food Trail Day Tours

Food trail is very expensive! Meanwhile, hawker centres offer a wide variety of food and drinks. There's a Makansutra Gluttons bay beside esplanade, Lau Pa sat, Maxwell near Chinatown, and St. James.

London
Level Contributor
100 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore Food Trail Day Tours

Whilst £55 a head does seem a lot of money for local food, I guess the food tour does include the personal services of a guide and transportation around the area.

If the purpose is to visit different areas and try different foods in each area, then £55 for the food, the guide's time, their knowledge, your own time saved by not reading up about it, and the transportation costs, might be considered more reasonable. After all, labour costs money, and the guides need to make some kind of profit on their business!

At the end of the day it depends whether you feel £55 is a sum you can afford, and whether you prefer to have a guide for something like this. The positive reviews of the food trail on TA suggests it isn't something you should automatically avoid.

8. Re: Singapore Food Trail Day Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 02, 2014