We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landing at Changi at 1.35am - what to do?

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Landing at Changi at 1.35am - what to do?

My onwards flight is with Qatar to Bali at 15.00hrs the same afternoon.

I don't think interlining luggage between these airlines is possible, so it looks like I must collect my bags after immigration.

I have been through SIN many times but do not know what I can do 'landside' for such a long time, at such a weird time of the day.

Usually I would store my luggage and take a trip into the city, but at 1.35am what am I supposed to be seeing in the city? Nothing!

Is there a pay lounge of some sort landside at Changi, such as there is at HKG?

At the very least I need to wait until sunrise, and then do somewhere to watch the sun coming up, such as Marina Bay.

But between 1.35am and 5am, I will probably have to sit in that McCafe by the taxi rank. :( Grim.

Edited: 10:18 am, February 11, 2013
Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Landing at Changi at 1.35am - what to do?

You may though try to check-in within the transit area as your onward flight is with Qatar - a full airline (cf. changiairport.com/in-transit/transit-informa… ) and book a room at the transit hotel.

You may email to Changi Airport to confirm for your specific case. Here is a reply from Changi Airport to a question I recently sent about a transit between 2 full airlines:

The checked baggage will be transferred to your connecting flight by the Ground Handling Agents upon your checking-in at the Transfer Counter. You will not need to retrieve your check-in luggage upon Arrival.

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Landing at Changi at 1.35am - what to do?

Thanks Huow. That link is a fantastic resource.

It seems I need to go to Transfer Lounge A, Terminal 3 to get an onwards boarding pass for Qatar Airways, but what would happen to the luggage then? What is the email address? I couldn't see it on the site.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,637 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Landing at Changi at 1.35am - what to do?

Hi Clackers2011,

You need to go to Transfer Lounge A, Terminal 3 to check in for your Qatar flight. At check in show them your luggage tag from your earlier flight and baggage handlers will transfer your luggage from your earlier flight to your Qatar flight. You do not need to collect your luggage. You will be issued with a boarding pass. Then you can make your way to the transit hotel for some rest. But you need to make advanced reservation for this as the transit hotel is very popular.

You may contact Changi by clicking "Feedback and Enquiries" at the bottom of this page

changiairport.com/in-transit/transit-informa…

Edited: 2:22 pm, February 11, 2013
Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Landing at Changi at 1.35am - what to do?

This is their contact page: changiairport.com/our-business/contact-us/fe…

I contacted them using enquiry@changiairport.com

Edited: 3:23 pm, February 11, 2013
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,536 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Landing at Changi at 1.35am - what to do?

If your arriving airline(unknown) and departing airline(Qatar) have interline agreement, AND departing airline has early check-in at the time you visit the transit desk (at 1:45 am?) , you can obtain onward boarding pass and have luggage transferred by ground staff to the connecting flight, without you going through luggage claim and re-checking bags.

Unfortunately Qatar does not have early check-in. changiairport.com/passenger-guide/departure/…

Therefore you cannot use the transit desk until Qatar check-in opens (3 hours before flight departure, in general)

So either you exit customs at whatever time you want, keep your bags at luggage storage land side, and go visit the city, OR use one of the several pay lounges air side , then go through customs/immigration the next day.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Landing at Changi at 1.35am - what to do?

[Just a jotter note] I think you are forgetting that there is the 24-hr Mustafa/Little India ! That should keep you occupied till 7 am when you can branch out to other areas that are coming alive.

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Landing at Changi at 1.35am - what to do?

The lack of an Early check in for Qatar Airways does not apply if I am already in the transit area though does it? Otherwise my plans are thwarted.

What about just not collecting my luggage? Then spending some time in the terminal (airside), and then finally clearing immigration and obtaining my luggage from lost property? Or does all luggage get destroyed if not collected?

I am landing on Delta. I will ask them when I check in at Tokyo if they can interline via QR to Bali. If not, then it seems I may have to just bite the bullet and sit landside for a few hrs. :(

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,536 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Landing at Changi at 1.35am - what to do?

If check-in is not open for the airline, transit desk cannot help you, even if you are in the transit area.

You can stay air side until whenever, go through immigration(in the same terminal you landed) , pick up your bags at lost+found at baggage claim , go through customs. People do that all the time, stay at transit hotel overnight, claim their bags the next morning.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,637 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Landing at Changi at 1.35am - what to do?

Hi Clackers,

As I have said in my post #3, no need to worry about your bags. Just check in at Transfer Lounge A, T3, and baggage handlers will take care of your bags for you.

This is what Changi have to say:

<<<Thank you for your enquiry sent on 14 February 2013.

No need for you to clear Immigrations and retrieve your bags. Once your Delta Airlines flight lands in Terminal 1, kindly proceed to Transfer Counter A in Terminal 3 to check-in for your onward (Qatar Airways) flight. In the transit area, please take the Skytrain to go to Terminal 3.

The Ground Handling Agent of Qatar will do the necessary arrangement to transfer your luggages from Delta to Qatar.

I hope that the information provided clarifies your enquiry. Please do not hesitate to send us an email if you have any further questions and we will get back to you as soon as possible. We look forward to serving you at Changi Airport.>>>

Hope this answers your question.....

Edited: 7:56 pm, February 13, 2013
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,536 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Landing at Changi at 1.35am - what to do?

If there is a change of policy at Changi, or Qatar opens check-in just for you at more than 12 hours before flight departure, then yes transit desk can issue Qatar boarding pass right away.

Do let us know if that is the case.