We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore basics

australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore basics

We will be in Singapore at the end of January for 3 nights, what are the must see places in Singapore ?

We are staying at Clarke Quay.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
19,934 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore basics

Hello,

Your must-sees will depend on your own particular budget and personal interests. A good place to start exploring what Singapore has to offer is the tourism website:-

www.yoursingapore.com

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore basics

The typical "must see" (so to say) attractions are ...

Sentosa, Universal Studios, Marine Life Park, Marina Bay Sands, Singapore Flyer, Gardens by the Bay, Zoo, Birdpark.

Other than these, there are highly popular places/attractions like Botanic Gardens, museums, heritage places like Chinatown, Little India, Kampong Glam, host of places to shop and eat and a bit of nightlife attractions (though not similar to Pattaya or Phuket).

As you would see, 3 nights is too short to see even all the "must see" places of Singapore so its upto you do some homework and shortlist the places the very best ones that suit your liking.

australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore basics

Thanks for the advice !!!

How easy is it to get to Sentosa from Clarke Quay ??? is it worth going over there for 3 or 4 hours ?

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,860 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore basics

Hi,

Contributors recommend 2 days for Sentosa; 1 for USS and another for Sentosa itself. But you decide...

Yes it is easy. All you need to do is to take the MRT from Clarke Quay station to Harbourfront station and then either walk to Sentosa via the Broadwalk and pay $1 entry fee or take the Sentosa Express from the 3rd floor of Vivocity for $3.50. This include the entry fee.

For things to do on Sentosa, check this website

http://www.sentosa.com.sg/en/

Hope this helps....

australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore basics

Thanks,......I'll take a look now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
938 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore basics

effieg22, Singapore is our favourite destination having travelled there each year for the past 5yrs, we have stayed approx.25days and have still not seen everything there is to see, we always stay at clarke quay at swissotel merchant court,my advice woud be walk down to chinatown, [approx 5 mins from clarke quay] and do a little shopping, I would get a taxi to mount faber and jump on a cable car across the harbour to sentosa island, once there make sure you visit the walkthrough display on the history of singpore, very very informative and moving, 3-4 hrs to look around sentosa would be o.k. jump on the bus and just cruise around and jump off when something appeals,I would suggest the singapore flyer, [great views]in the evening I suggest gardens by the bay absolutely stunning, the zoo is great but you really need nearly a whole day, we done a half day tour with city discovery tours and found it very good, large aircon. bus commentary on all sights, visit to jewellery factory[no pressure to buy] visit to botanical gardens, little india and drop back to hotel, suggest enjoying clarke quay at nightime,really buzzes, you will find transport is so so cheap in singapore, $5-10 aus from clarke quay to virtually anywhere local, train station at clarke quay opp, swissotel merchant court allows you access to anywhere in singapore for very little, as I have said we have still to see everything this great country has to offer after 5 visits,I know you wll love singapore and come back again to explore what it has to offer,great food, lovely people, very safe, everything is in english so no problems finding your way around, if i could afford it I would retire tomorrow and move to singapore[ my wife just said not without her.]

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,170 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore basics

Ok a 3 night stay means you will get a small taste of the city, no more. The average list of must sees that crop up here for SIngapore from the regulars fills a week minimum and thats the must sees, not the 'good-sees' or the 'other options'.

For a short stay like this you you simply cannot see all the must-sees and you need to whittle the common list down to a much shorter list driven by your own preferences. There are several threads listing assorted regulars must see lists, and discussion on them - I'd recommend you have a look at a few to get a feel for them. Equally you need to go to www.yoursingapore.com and browse the content there to get an idea of what the city offers. You might spoot something on the overall list that isnt on the consensus must see list, but fits into your personal must see list.

My one recommendation is that because you simply cannot see everything that you do not try and squeeze lots in. Select your sights and attractions carefully and give them enough time in the planned itinerary to see them properly.If you want to see multiple things then don't rush round several big things, choose smaller attractions or a place with several nearby that lets you shuttle round them. You give me a convenient example with Sentosa actually.

As Nancy says, people here usually suggest 1 day for USS and 1 day for the rest. My personal preferences run to the attractions outside of Universal. Actually 1 day won't let you cover everything outside of US. I spent a day and half there in my most recent trip in June and still didnt cover everything, but most people can easily spend a day on their preferences there. For your short trip I would suggest that if you to Sentosa go you spend a day there, maybe something else during the evening. More would take out too much of your trip time and less would not get you a good run at the attractions there.

So my advice would be either go for a day, or give the day over to another attraction.

Your difficulty will be trimming the list down I think, spend some time on that and have backups for either bad weather or if you get someplace and it doesnt match your expectations or desires and so you have an abort option.

For reference, my Must-see list of places I try to always go to in every visit is as follows and fills around a week. I then expand to new things and other favourites as time allows (I typically visit for 10days).

Zoo

BirdPark

Night Safari

National Museum

Asian Civilisations Museum

Botanic Gardens

National Orchid Garden

Science Centre

Sentosa (outside USS)

You will get different lists from different regulars here by the way, all based on preferences, so mine is not some master must see list for Singapore.

As a last point, food is a HUGE part of visiting SIngapore - make plans for eating, or you will miss a major plus for the country.

darwin
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore basics

.. Its my first time there and Im taking the kids to the Lego exhibition, the science centre, the cheap water park mentioned in singapore for free, the 'dancing' constuction crane show by night, can't wait.

australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore basics

Thanks to all of you for that great input!!

I have been researching for quite a few weeks now, but what you have all written for me has helped me more than all my researching has !!!

Thanks so much

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore basics

Personally Sentosa is just another amusement park - the same the world over.

If amusement parks are your thing - you will love it - if not - there is lots else to do