We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport taxi at night

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Airport taxi at night

Can I trust the taxi from the airport to my hotel at night, about 1 AM, not to take me out of my way ? Or should I wait for the shuttle.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport taxi at night

Visuth, I'm not sure how to answer your question. I would like to believe that taxi drivers here are generally honest but there are bound to be bad apples in the cart now and then. I am sure there have been incidents in the past as a result of which you will find most of the time when you get into a cab in SGP the driver will ask if you have a route preference. If you wanted to you could google the place you are staying and get a general feel of the roads, distance and estimated traveling time to guide you? Ps the road leading out of the airport is a freeway, called ECP. If you are staying at a hotel in the Orchard area, you have a choice of going ECP, then PIE, then CTE, exiting around Clemenceau Road. The shorter way is ECP, exit Rochor Road and travel local roads (Rochor, Bukit Timah, Newton, Scotts to Orchard). You will encounter more traffic lights though it might be cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Newton
Newton
1 Review
Singapore, Singapore
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,312 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport taxi at night

What's your hotel? You would not pay more than SGD35 for dowtown hotels for travel at 1am.

And by the way, Singapore taxi drivers are at least 2x more honest than their counterparts in Bangkok so you are lucky that you are going to Singapore.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,800 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport taxi at night

Take a taxi if you want a quicker journey. The fare should be around $33-38 to most hotels in town after midnight. If you want extra reassurance, tell the driver you will need a reciept at the end of the journey. Your recipt will show taxi number and company, start off and drop off time and distance traveled And a break down of the surcharges and final bill. The LTA come down hard on drivers found to be ripping off people.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
58,948 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport taxi at night

If you are traveling alone ( 1 pers) and do not have lots of luggage, shuttle ( operates 24/7) is considerably cheaper way to get to your hotel.

About honesty of taxi drivers, please check the recommendations above.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport taxi at night

Thanks for all your info.

I'll be staying at the Hotel Grand Pacific. There will be two of us. I also look at the "Singaporemap" app and approximate the cost to be around S$ 30.

Just need tp be reassure of taking a taxi. Of course, I've never had any problem in Singapore before. But at that time of the night, I don' t want any either.

Thanks Again

Mentioned in this post
Grand Pacific Hotel
Grand Pacific Hotel
1,257 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
58,948 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport taxi at night

you`re welcome.

Travel safely!

7. Re: Airport taxi at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 23, 2013