We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Men's tailors in Singapore?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Men's tailors in Singapore?

Can anyone recommend some quality men's tailors in Singapore. I am visiting from Europe and staying for 7 days, from the end May to beginning of June 2006. What will be the approximate price for a handmade suit?

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Men's tailors in Singapore?

Hi FLJB00,

One of the most well-known tailors in Singapore is probably CYC, located at the Raffles Hotel Arcade. Quite a popular choice with the rich and the famous, so be prepared to shell out quite a fair bit for your suit ...

Other tailors discussed in previous posts are:

1. Raffles Tailor at OUB Centre

2. Personality at Penisula Shopping Centre

3. Pagoda Master Tailor (www.pagodamastertailor.com at Smith Street Chinatown)

4. Gold Coast Tailors at Far East Plaza

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Raffles Hotel Arcade
Raffles Hotel Arcade
1,668 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Raffles Hotel Singapore
Raffles Hotel Singapore
4,323 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Chinatown
Chinatown
11,665 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Far East Plaza
Far East Plaza
113 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
DrH
Atlanta
Level Contributor
223 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Men's tailors in Singapore?

I've used Eurobest twice in the past, and I'm very happy. I thought they were a tad steep, but for about $1500 in summer 2006, I got a 2 piece woolen suit, 7 all cotton shirts, and 5pr of pants. The work was excellent, the shirts are holding up very well, and everyone loves the suit. 31 Pagoda St, I think they are the first tailor shop on the left, past the Temple. They are the first stop I'm making after breakfast on 5/18. Hope this helps.

Dr H

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Men's tailors in Singapore?

Hi Dr,

And we know you'll be having dim sum for dinner after having your suits made too, aren't you ;) ?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Men's tailors in Singapore?

Hi Checkers and Dr. H.,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions. Dr.H, with you being from the USA, is that amount of 1500 that you mention in S$ or US$? I hope it's S$, of course.

I also read about JustMens tailor at Tanglin Shopping Ctr. It seems to be definitely above average, though somewhat more expensive than most tailors, but not overly so. Has anyone heard of JustMens? Thanks!

DrH
Atlanta
Level Contributor
223 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Men's tailors in Singapore?

That was US dollars. I wish SGD. Like I said, I've used them twice, and very happy both times. What you pay is largely based on the fabrics used. Had I not been there with my wife, I'm sure the bill would have come to 150SGD, but while I didn't want the most expensive stuff in the house, we didn't take the cheapest either. And since I hadn't bought clothes in almost 10 years, and everything I owned was falling apart at the seams, while I gagged a bit when the tally came, I really couldn't complain too loudly.

For what it's worth, I wanted a dark pinstriped suit, and they had lots of material to offer. Both Mr... and my wife twisted my arm into taking the "latest and greatest" herring bone type of weave which didn't really excite me. It took over a year before I saw anything similar here in the states, and then for over $1000, non custom made. I really, really love that suit. Tie it into a knot, stuff it in a suitcase, and it comes out almost wrinkle free, light as a feather, and it looks great.

I'm getting some cotton-silk shirts next run, and possibly some pants. My son gets a suit. (My wife gets the bill?). Oh, I looked into the website for pagodamastertailor. No prices were listed, but I really liked the pictures for collars/cuffs/pocket that can be selected. If you are getting shirts made, as I have done, this is one very helpful series of pictures to master in advance, even if you don't use them. Also, if you have pictures of outfits that you like, take them. It helps with the final creation.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Men's tailors in Singapore?

Hi FLJB and DrH,

There was one post about Justmen's. Here's the link ... hopefully you'll be able to get some useful information from it:

tripadvisor.com/…848854

Not sure if you already have got their website? www.justmens.com

And for that matter you can even email Pagoda for a quote or something. At least you'll have some reference before your trip here proper: pagodamt@singnet.com.sg

Good luck again guys ... and have fun!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Men's tailors in Singapore?

Dear Checker and DrH,

Thanks again!

I have checked JustMens' website, but some parts still seems to be under construction. At least it provides some general information, address and telephone#. It's probably reassuring that they have been in business for some 35 years already.

Pagoda Master Tailor's website indeed doesn't mention any prices (neither does JustMens), but they offer an interesting membership deal.

DrH, do you know if Eurobest has a website? I have not been able to find one...

I am somewhat puzzled by the "nomenclature" of the fabrics, some go by the length of the threads of which the fabric is woven (like super-120 or so) while others mention the weight of the fabric. DrH, you seem to have a lot of experience. What kind of quality of fabric do you prefer for a woolen suit?

DrH
Atlanta
Level Contributor
223 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Men's tailors in Singapore?

First, with cottons, the greater the number, the higher the number of threads per square inch/cm. That translates to finer threads, and much softer fabric.

As for wool, depends upon where you are going be wearing the suit. When I moved from New York to Georgia, all of my northern winter suits just could not be worn in any season. If you are living in Brussels, it's going to be colder than in Singapore and you go for a heavier fabric. They are going to have bolts upon bolts of fabric to choose from, and they will be able to help you with the weight, once you are there. The suit I wrote about is 100% wool, but it is extremely light, in fact a bit too light for the Atlanta winter. It is almost like a heavy silk.

If you have never gotten custom made clothes before, you are actually in for a treat. Aside from their fitting better, suddenly you have a choice of fabrics, and you can select your clothes based on feel rather than simply upon appearance. It really is a big change. While I can't afford off the shelf Egyptian cotton shirts, most of my custom made stuff is Egyptian cotton. (The ultimate unfairness in life is that Sea Island cotton is even nicer than Egyptian, and the Sea Islands are just off the Georgia coast, and I still can't afford the stuff here or there... Someday, perhaps)

Web sites. To the best of my knowledge, they are still talking about getting one. I know they have a fax but I don't know their number at the moment.

Mentioned in this post
York Hotel
York Hotel
1,453 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Men's tailors in Singapore?

Hi all,

No longer able to comprehend the thread count, fabric etc. part but only thing I can help is to give you the contact details of Eurobest.

Tel: (+65) 6323 4082

Fax: (+65) 6323 4083

Address: 31 Pagoda Street

Happy tailoring guys!

London
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Men's tailors in Singapore?

What can I expect to pay for a half-decent 2-piece suit and a cotton shirt?

I'm thinking I might get a suit and a few custom shirts in July.

Thanks