We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore in January 2013, but where else with a good budget

Yeppoon, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore in January 2013, but where else with a good budget

We are wanting to go to Singapore in Jan 2013, but everyone says it isn't the place to stay for 10 nights...maybe 5. I have heard singapore is famous for being a stopover for everywhere else, but we can't workout where. what would be cost effective for 2 adults and 1 15yo. We have done Bangkok,Phuket and Bali with 4 starish accom. Flight don't seem to be that cheap out of singapore and we just don't know where to go. Bintan Island, KL,HK,Ho Chi Minh?? I can't seem t find anything that doesn't end up costing heaps. We did Bankok and Phuket in 10 nights for about $7000 all up 4 to 4.5 star. What could we do this time for roughly the same? suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Bintan Island
Bintan Island
Bintan Regency, Indonesia
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore in January 2013, but where else with a good budget

''but everyone says it isn't the place to stay for 10 nights''

''Everyone''?

I can think of a whole bunch of people here that would profoundly disagree with that statement.

10 days is a reasonable time to stay in Singapore, giving a person plenty of time to REALLY get a taste for the place. You still won't have time to do ''Everything'' there is to do,

Just look at this link and see if there is enough to occupy your time, personally 10 days would be a minimum for me to want to be in Singapore, and I've been a few times before.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Alan

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g294265-Activi…

Edited: 5:06 am, August 31, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore in January 2013, but where else with a good budget

www.booking.com/searchresults.html…

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
59,921 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore in January 2013, but where else with a good budget

10 days SIN vacation is a VERY nice time to spend in the city that boasts of having everything and every moment expanding itself to offer EVEN more....................

I`m in a leagues with Alan in this <<a whole bunch of people here that would profoundly disagree with that statement.>>

Start your exploration from

yoursingapore.com

@@@@@@@@@@@@

About hotel recommendation, choose any from 25 first in TA list, and you`ll deliriously happy with your choice.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore in January 2013, but where else with a good budget

'Everyone', to some value of everyone that is not represented on this forum, says Singapore is not a place to stay for 10 days but to use it for a stopover because that is how it is marketed in many countries. So that is what people have seen it as and also what travel agents will say in a number of countries.

The problem is thats a commercial decision, because of Singapore's ability to act as a gateway to anywhere in Asia allowing you to offer flights via Singapore on other destinations and spin out a multicentre that way.

Such stopovers and attendant views that that is the way to see Singapore bears absolutely zero resemblance to what the place has to offer.

For me, despite having effectively lived there for 3 years and multiple visits before and after that period (I first visited 25 years ago), I still need 10 days to feel I have had a good run at visiting the country. I did 8 days in June and still missed out a bunch of things.

If the budget allows it, and the desire is there - then don't be afraid of Staying longer than the all too often mandated 3 day stopover.

That said Singapore is used as a stopover destination because it is good for that. Connectivity is good, there's plenty to offer different interests in a short period of time and a small area - those make stopovers easy. You mention a number of places to go on to, all good options and its really what the agent can offer you in terms of budget. Some others to consider might be Penang in Malaysia, or go east via Kuching for other locations. Its am atter of hunting round for the right resort - the Bintan ones most people carry are often the higher end ones, but there are others for lower budgets.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Kuching
Kuching
Sarawak, Malaysia
Bintan Island
Bintan Island
Bintan Regency, Indonesia
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore in January 2013, but where else with a good budget

Singapore is a bit like offal, (liver, heart, kidneys etc) many people that have voiced an opinion as to what it's like, have never tried it, but once tried many can't get enough. lol

Alan

p.s. I've yet to meet the person that's been to Singapore and hated it, I expect there are some, but they probably hate heaps of stuff. even themselves.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
west australia
Level Contributor
625 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore in January 2013, but where else with a good budget

Hi,

I agree with myrm, Penang is an option to spend some time at a resort there as well as time in Singapore city. Another suggestion is Koh Samui. Just came back there , its like a quieter Phuket. I dont like Phuket but loved Koh Samui.

But in my humble opinion if you have not been to Singapore I would not go anywhere else. I love Singapore and there is sooo much to do, and see. The place and people are wonderful you will most likely fall in love with the place. Some people say it is expensive, and if you shop and eat at the wrong places it can be. Just do your research here first. There are many, many cheap and reasonable places to eat and shop.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore in January 2013, but where else with a good budget

It is very possible to spend two weeks here. We once had a journalist from a French travel magazine stay with us and she was regretting that she only stayed 2 weeks! But if you would like to head somewhere else, do check weather conditions. it tends to be rainy in the east coast of Malaysia and Thailand at that time of the year, so Koh Samui might be out of the question.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Samui
Koh Samui
33 Reviews
Ipoh, Malaysia
Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore in January 2013, but where else with a good budget

Singapore's a great place whether you are there for 3 or 10 or 30 days.. It all depends on what you are really looking for..

If you are a really busy person, who gets just one holiday a year, then you would probably like to explore at least 2 or 3 countries/ places over a 10-14 day period. If you are the relaxed type and don't want to rush around, then 10 days is ideal for Singapore.

If you have already been to Singapore, and would like to explore the region then there are lots of options.

But believe me, you will keep coming back to singapore for more!! We enjoy all of Asia, great places with great people, they are different, each has its own charm and uniqueness, but Singapore has that something which will just keep pulling you back again and again..

For a first visit, 10 days is great for singapore. In case you do decide to split your visit, then airasia.com is good for cheap flights.

Have a good one!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
28 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore in January 2013, but where else with a good budget

January is the rainy season for Singapore and some other parts of SE Asia.

So do plan for that.

There are lots of cheap budget airline flights out of Singapore.

Air Asia, Tiger Air and a couple others.

You can also go to the other SE Asian countries like Malaysia or Vietnam.

Accommodations would be cheaper in those other countries.

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: Singapore in January 2013, but where else with a good budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, September 02, 2012