We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore - July

Wigan, Lancashire
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Singapore - July

We are staying in Singapore for 4 nights in July - staying at the Mandarin Marina. Our daughter is 13 can anyone give us any tips on things to do with a teenager - she want's to know if there is a Hard Rock Cafe? Is the night safari worth a visit and where is the best shopping - also are electrical items cheaper than the uk i.e. speakers/docking station for an ipod.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,609 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore - July

There is a Hard Rock (young teens love that place) along Cuscaden Road (behind Forum Galleria, across from Orchard Parade Hotel). All cab drivers know that place :)

Night safari for a 13 year old may be worth the visit.

Best shopping ? That I will have to leave it to other experts (not a shopper myself) but when I am in town and somehow have to shop :

1) Chinatown for souvenirs and some fashion accessories like beaded hang bags (watch out for those mass production type versus hand made ones, u can easily tell by the workmanship), shoes, etc All these have great Asian style

2) Little India for gifts - costume jewelry and some beautiful fabric for pillows/cushions

3) Arab Street (as in #2 with the fabric, mainly silk but other souvenirs as well)

4) Mustafa (anything u r looking for !)

5) Orchard, Scotts, Suntec, Marina - anything u want for fashion.

Enjoy your trip !

PS. your 13 year old may enjoy a duck tour or a SIN river cruise ride in the evening before or after dinner at Boat Quay or Clark Quay (both of these will be really fun to hang out for your teen, just to asborb the atmosphere, she will think it is very cool). The other place to take her to is Bugis Junction.

At your hotel, u r linked to Marina Square Mall and by bridges to Suntec and underground tunnels to Raffles City Mall (across the street is Raffles hotel).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
597 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore - July

with regards to electronics, the regular retail prices are not much cheaper in singapore than compared to the uk.

where you might enjoy some savings is in the tax. singapore's GST is 5%, whereas UK VAT is 17.5%.

and for certain items or certain spending levels, you might even get tax refund when leaving singapore.

there are several mac centres in singapore

Wigan, Lancashire
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore - July

Thanks for all the info. Really looking forward to visiting Singapore.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore - July

finally a post i can answer!!

yes! there is a hard rock cafe, i like the tony roma's near it.

shopping for a teenager would be to hit Bugis mrt. you can spend at least a couple of hours there, either at Parco, hit the Edge - small shops at level 3 that sell lots of cute items.

the other place would be Bugis Village, the shops usually only open after 2pm. there are lots and lots of small shops that sell clothes, nick-nacks, bags. there are small nail boutiques that have very afforable prices.

for ipod, try the apple centre at Wheelock place. keep the prices in uk in mind and hit Sim Lim Square for what you want. it is possible to bargain there, usually 10-20 % lower.

might want to visit the water centres, either the public swimming pools with the slides, waves and such. at Jurong and choa chu kang. or visit Escape water park at Pasir Ris. not too sure if the water slides at East Coast Park is open but that is fun.

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore - July

The Night Safari is excellent!

We found the shopping was pretty expensive, even though the Singapore Sales were on.

You might find that your best deal on the ipod would be at the airport, tax free.

Wigan, Lancashire
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore - July

Thanks for the info - can you tell me more about the night safari - a friend told me shopping was quite expensive in Singapore itself but the airport has excellent duty free. Really looking forward to visiting Singapore it's our first time in that part of the world after 3 nights in Singapore we are travelling onto Borneo. Hope it live's up to all our expectations!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,305 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore - July

Hi lever,

The Night Safari is the world's first night zoo, so you can get up close and personal with the nocturnal animals.

Check out this link for more information:

http://www.nightsafari.com.sg/

Cheers!

UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore - July

Hi Lever, we will arrive in Singapore on 26/05 for two nights also like you on our way to Borneo, we are staying at the Shang ri la in Singapore and the Shang ri la Tajung Aru in Borneo, we have been many times to Singapore its ace, however, our first time to Borneo. If there is any info we can get for you let us know and we will mail it to you on our return.Rest assured Singapore is really nice, safe, great climate and some pretty smart places to eat, drink ect, Take your 13 year old to the Equinox bar, its on the 69 or 70th floor of the Stamford hotel the views are breath taking, having said that not sure if there is an age restriction , one of the local experts will let you know, they are a wealth of knowledge.

Cheers

Jamie and Suzanne