We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore groupon beware

Ireland
Level Contributor
108 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore groupon beware

Beware buying groupon deals like tours, we did and nowhere on the groupon or the agents website or fine prints, did it mention the tour was in mandarin....we found out only through here, trip advisor, whilst getting feedback from other travelers. refused to refund it,Despite the clear ack of vital information on the details of the tour, despite us spending hundreds on their website....

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,131 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore groupon beware

Got a linky to the add? I think this is something you could take up with the Singapore Torist board. Trourist claims get revolved quite quickly and 3 or more complaints in 3 months about an organistion means it can get listed under the Errant retailers list

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,808 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore groupon beware

yep, the link is vital.................. please provide.

Otherwise the TA community has a vague idea of what you try to deal with.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore groupon beware

Which deal exactly did you get and where did you get it from? I am guessing that you bought a travel deal for a foreign destination and not for a tour of Singapore. I have seen many discount deal sites explicitly stating that their tours would be conducted in Mandarin for deals that include tours.

I don't think the Singapore Tourism Board is the correct organisation to contact. They handle inbound tourism. With deal sites and travel deals especially, it's always too good to be true and you have to pay attention to all the details and ask first before buying in.

Edited: 11:34 am, March 17, 2012
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,131 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore groupon beware

Yes the Singapore Tourist board is assuming you bought this tour for touring in Singapore and you are a tourist here.

5. Re: Singapore groupon beware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, March 20, 2012
Singapore
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore groupon beware

post 5 spam

Ireland
Level Contributor
108 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore groupon beware

Hiya. It's the shanghai tour sold by groupon singapore. Nothing nowhere was it mentioned the tour was in mandarin, only found out here on trip advisor when loads of people were wondering where the Hilton shanghai advertised was located. Any advice to whom we could bring that complaint to?

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore groupon beware

I looked through some old deals on groupon.sg for Shanghai and the deals did mention about Chinese speaking tour guides. There was one that did not mention about Chinese speaking but did state that 'local guided coach tour', and Shanghai locals don't really speak English now do they.

Your best bet is to talk to the people at the Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE). Maybe they'd be able to help you out, though I doubt it.

Edited: 10:07 am, March 22, 2012
9. Re: Singapore groupon beware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:37 am, April 05, 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore groupon beware

We are currently on a tour in Beijing with Travelstar booked through Groupon and it's obviously all a big scam. On day one, we'd wanted to skip some sights and head to the hotel straight as we were exhausted - but our tour guide said that if we were to leave the tour, we had to pay a penalty of $300. She also forcefully asked us to go on the optional tour (S$70 each) and said that if we did not go, the agency would make her pay for it. I was shocked and asked to speak to the Singaporean travel company staff - I was then shouted at by a horrible rude staff who spoke with a threatening tone.

We thus decided to stay on the tour, only to be shuttered from one shop to another (jade, silk, tea etc). While we were not forced to buy anything, our guide did forcefully make us stay in each shop for at least 50 minutes. She'd stated that if we left earlier, it would get her into trouble. Yesterday, we were supposed to get a foot massage and were brought to a hospital where a Tibetan 'doctor' came to read our palm lines and predict our health problems. It was all obviously a big scam - the doctor said some of us were impotent, some of us could not give birth - it was a terrible thing to say to elderly people who actually might believe them.

The other group members were equally unhappy with the itinerary but there was nothing we could do about it. The guide also did not speak any English even though it was stated on the itinerary that she did - while there were foreigners on the tour who couldn't understand Mandarin. The worst part of it all was that they kept our passports in the hotel safe box (when we had one each in our room) and claimed that it was for security purpose . We had to shout at the guide to actually get our passports back. We just left the tour today (today is the last day) - and they are demanding us to pay $300 and to leave the hotel. I have already received a threatening email from the company.

This is definitely the worst tour of my life - and I've already lodged a complaint to CASE (Consumer Association of Singapore) and Singapore Tourism Board. Do NOT book a tour through Groupon or Travelstar by any means unless you want to be cheated.

Here is the link to the deal:

groupon.sg/deals/…715849715