We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free Shopping at Singapore Airport??

Forest Lake...
Level Contributor
8 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free Shopping at Singapore Airport??

We look like we may be overnighting at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport mid May 2012 on return home to Brisbane, and was wondering what the duty free shopping is like at the airport - ie: is it worth the stopover??

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,108 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free Shopping at Singapore Airport??

Changi has has plenty of shops of every sort. All the shops are airside (The Crown Plazza is landside) so you will need to do your shopping after you check in for your departing flight - check in ealry, there is plenty to see and do that time flies by. If you are buying liquids more than 100ml, they will be placed in tamper evident bags.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free Shopping at Singapore Airport??

Duty free shopping at Changi Airport is one of the best in the world --> worldairportawards.com/Awards_2011/shopping.…

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free Shopping at Singapore Airport??

Most definitely yes. Shopping in Changi offers you a variety you probably cannot get at any other airport. Once, on an urgent flight to KL I needed to get a wireless router and amazingly one of the shops in the airport transit lounge had some in stock.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
390 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free Shopping at Singapore Airport??

Just to add - the shops are 24/7 (*gasp*), the spirits and tobacco very decently priced. Excellent airport.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free Shopping at Singapore Airport??

You can check out Changi Airport website for more information, it's built for shopping heaven too.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty Free Shopping at Singapore Airport??

duty free at Changi is excellent ..but why do you not look at staying at the transit hotel with the airport ..saves a lot of hassle and so long as you have your boarding pass for your next flight you can still go down town

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty Free Shopping at Singapore Airport??

macka59, I made a mistake 4 years ago of buying my duty free at bris. airport and picking up on arrival home, the range and variety and price at changi left bris. for dead, I now always buy at changi , I no longer smoke but I bought a friend some english cigarettes in 2010 for $17 for 10 pkts of 20 = $1.70pkt, scotch which is my preferred indulgence and it was at least 2-5 dollars cheaper than brisbane duty free, perfume is also very cheap, my wife buys estee lauder youth dew at changi for $36 compared to $50-60 here in aus. enjoy changi i'l be back in oct.

Forest Lake...
Level Contributor
8 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty Free Shopping at Singapore Airport??

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments, we are now not overnighting in Singa's but will have approx 4hrs layover and we will do all our duty free shopping there :-)

To aussie 010 we also got bitten on our first OS trip by buying at Brisbane duty free but that was also last time we used them.

Thanks everyone :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty Free Shopping at Singapore Airport??

Handy to know - thanks aussie010. I'll make sure (well try to at least) have some money left to do some shopping on the way home.

10. Re: Duty Free Shopping at Singapore Airport??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:40 pm, June 17, 2013