We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency in singapore

England
Level Contributor
75 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Currency in singapore

Whats best to use for a couple of days in singapore, cash and credit cards, and is US$ best for travellers cheques

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency in singapore

Cash & Credit card would be the best and most convenience.

All shop in Big mall and restaurant (except small coffee shop & hawker centre) accept credit card as payment, whereelse most supermarket except cash & NET payment and some accept credit card payment.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency in singapore

Avoid travellers' cheques as far as possible for three reasons:

1. The rates are always lower than that offered for exchange by cash

2. There's usually an admin charge levied by banks if you want to cash in your cheques at local banks.

3. Travellers' cheques are not common here.

I'd say cash is always the best. You can always get them changed into local currency at the money changers in town (Lucky Plaza or Raffles Place). The rates offered by money changers at the airport are usually much lower than those offered in town.

Of course, most establishments welcome credit card as well. But it's quite a hassle if you're using it for small purchases.

Use your card to draw some cash at the airport's ATM machines for use, then change your GBP into local currency at the licensed money changers downtown during your stay. It's not a good idea to change your GBP into USD and then into SGD. You'll stand to lose out quite a fair bit on the currency differences - twice.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency in singapore

It is so easy to use ATMs and the handling charge isn't usually too bad (especially if you're using a debit card). I've always gotten really good rates when I use mine. I certainly wouldn't choose to go to Singapore with travellers cheques, to be honest.

Ari

Omaha
Level Contributor
72 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency in singapore

We are planning to stay in Singapore for 4 days and then head to Malaysia for 1 week before we go to Bangkok for 3 days. What should we do in Malaysia? We are staying in "Palace of Golden horses" and what is a good place to exchange the money? Also, how much cash do you recommend we carry?

Thanks

England
Level Contributor
75 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency in singapore

thanks for the advice

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency in singapore

Sorry Sirisha

Where are you going in Malaysia?

Ari

Omaha
Level Contributor
72 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency in singapore

Kaula Lumpur for 4 days and 2 days in Penang.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency in singapore

cash would be good if you are making small purchases, credit cards are pretty much taken in every shopping mall and atm machines are everywhere.

------------------------

Palace of Golden horses is a very nice hotel, it is attatched to a park and shopping centre i think. take a chance to visit one of the super big shopping malls in KL, some brands have not even come to Singapore. I find the chinatown in KL a bit over-rated, the vendors are out to kill you. the crowd is horrible and one can only get good prices on weekdays where the crowd is not as congested.

there is nothing much in penang, its a small island by itself. the food there is fabulous!!! its totally different from the food in the Johor area.

Omaha
Level Contributor
72 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency in singapore

Thanks a lot.

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency in singapore

Do you have a Nationwide debit card?they don't charge you for using ATMs abroad.