We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madras Hotel, Little India

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Madras Hotel, Little India

Hope someone can help out.

Does anyone have first hand experience of this hotel? Maybe, some info that might be of use.

I am well travelled, but my girlfriend is not so experienced and likes her comforts (i.e. pref the 4* & 5* type - but on a long trip that is not possible). Also, traveling with my 16 yr old son - so need 2 rooms.

Hoping that the Madras is clean and tidy with NO significant problems.

Thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madras Hotel, Little India

Hi Esorlegin

I don't think your girlfriend will like it.

Maybe you could consider this Hotel that just open not long back. It is 5min walk to Little India and had a very attractive rate (rate for Double & single room). Here U compromise on comfort, at the same enjoy your Holiday & it should be within your budget.

(1) The Fragrance Hotel @ Selegie

www.fragrancehotel.com/website/main.asp…

(2) Sleepy Sam's bed & breakfast

sleepysams.com/…20Facilities.html

It had wonderful room at a good rate and it function like a hostel with private room which make U feel like U are staying in a resort - Atleast that how my AUssie friend had said.

Hope this helps.

NJ
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Madras Hotel, Little India

I was taking an Indian girl out one sunday evening to Little India, Singapore, on a stopover from US to India several years ago. Quickly found it is not the kind of place you would go on sundays, if you were not one of the Tamil speaking grubby migrant young boys who congregate there in thousands. While I was all sympathy for the situation of the boys there devoid of almost a single girl in the crowd, it is not a poster picture of a place you would go to. Maybe it is better on other days of the week, I do not know.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madras Hotel, Little India

Thanks for the advice.

north perth
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madras Hotel, Little India

We stayed at the Madras in July 2006 and really liked it. The wireless broadband for our laptops certainly was a huge bonus, saved us having to look for internet cafes. The rooms are pretty basic and the breakfast isn't worth the effort, but the rooms were comfortable, well airconditioned and great value. We were there during their renovation and the difference in our rooms pre- and post-renovation was noticeable - the renovated bathroom was much nicer than the old one, for example.

Madras is very near Tekken Mall, which has a huge (and very inexpensive) food court and large supermarket. Tekken mall is also a hub for buses and taxis, and it's just a minute's walk fromt he Madras.

We've already booked to return again this year and are happy to be staying at the Madras again.

I love Little India, I think it's got a hundred times more character than the generic shopping malls of the mainstream tourist area. This time, we're even bringing my husband's parents. They've previously travelled to India and loved it, but thought Singapore was all commercial tourism when they visited there previously. We told them about Little India's street stalls, markets etc - and it's a lot closer to Australia than 'Big India' so they're joining us :)

Little India is NOT the Singapore of the travel brochures - which is why we love it so much.

north perth
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madras Hotel, Little India

PS - They have a website. I wasn't sure if it's OK to post websites here, but the 'local expert' above did, so I will too:

http://www.madrassingapore.com/

We've booked to stay there again for 10 days this trip, which goes to show how much we liked it (and Little India in general).

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madras Hotel, Little India

Hello Bunniboi

So the room U were in was renovated? Do u have the room rate U paid? Cos the last time my friend from Mauritius came, they dun like the room that much, so I was thinking if U would do a review with picture that U might have taken.

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madras Hotel, Little India

esorlegin,

You should try Hangout @ Mt. Emily http://www.hangouthotels.com.

It is much better than Madras Hotel for the same price.

8. Re: Madras Hotel, Little India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, September 02, 2009