We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks for all your great advices! We are back.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
305 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks for all your great advices! We are back.

I have to thank you for all your help so that I can enjoy my family vacation at Singapore. Please find some of my below comments which may help other as well.

1). Taxi -- For a family of 6 (3 adults & 3 small kids), I have no problem to take one taxi throughout the whole trip. All taxi drivers allows all of us in a taxi.

2). Jurong Swimming Complex is really very nice and cheap too.

3). IMM shopping mall is less crowded with free shuttle to and from MRT station and have an indoor children playground. Very children friendly.

4). The food at Lau Pat Sa Food center is a bit disappointed. Not really good at all.

Maxwell food center offers much better food.My friend told me that there is a good food center at Amoy street but I don't have a chance to try it.

5). Singapore zoo is great as always. (unlimted tram ride on weekday which is convenient.)

6). The location of Le Grove Apartment is a bit far & hot to walk but the living environment & facilities (except there is no business center) is better than Lanson Place. There is also a hourly free shuttle to Orchard road 7 days a week. Taxi fare to Orchard road from the apartment is just about 3-4 Singapore dollars.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Thanks for all your great advices! We are back.

great to hear some old stuff still around, that is the real thing ! Anyway, is that market in line for an upgrade ? seemed like all the others had or is going through some work. It will really make my next trip hard (to find an authentic hawker center !).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
597 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Thanks for all your great advices! We are back.

ah...yes, some hawkers at whampoa were grumbling about the forthcoming upgrading (often means higher rentals for them)

but whampoa really needs some work...it is not only falling apart, it was built in an era when singaporeans were smaller! nowadays, we singaporeans are so fat we can't squeeze past the tables, and we all feel the chairs and tables are so low, they seem like the McD's kiddy tables.

de, before you come the next time, buzz me, and i will give you a list of remaining old skoolz hawker centers, really old skoolz... with great food of course...

doesn't mean that the new ones are hopeless, chomp chomp is still good, as is food republic (food court) inside wisma atria...

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Thanks for all your great advices! We are back.

yeah wisma atria I love their muslim food so spicy !!! that sambal squid is just yummy ! Well, if u head over this direction let me know, i can pinpoint some restaurants in town as well as the city (NY). Since I move back to US, all i do is in search of good food it seems !

Dont forget your promise about giving me the list next time I visit (now that my baby sis in living there, I should visit at least once a year - YEAH !!!!)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
597 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Thanks for all your great advices! We are back.

de, sent you email...assuming the id is correct...

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
305 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Thanks for all your great advices! We are back.

De last One, yes, you are right because you really can't find any Poh Piah in Hong Kong. Since my parent is from Hokkien, they know how to cook the original Poh Piah. The main ingredients are carrot (the red one), pork, dry bean curd, cabbage, peanuts and the most important one is the dried "Seaweed" from Hokkien. The taste is just not right without this special "Seaweed".

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Thanks for all your great advices! We are back.

LarryWong

The next time u come by Singapore & Looking for Good Hokkien Poh Piah, go to lavendar Food Square.

There is this Poh Piah stall that had been there for the last 10 yrs since the time I am a customer.

YUMMMMMMMY and cost only S$1.20. Everytime my mum would suggest getting 5 to 10 roll of the poh piah.

Glad that U have fun in Singapore

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
305 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Thanks for all your great advices! We are back.

Thanks Me*Only. I will surely try. Is it nearby the Lavender MRT station?