We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia versus coach from KL to Singapore

Mumbai
Level Contributor
332 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Air Asia versus coach from KL to Singapore

Hi,

We are debating whether to take the Air Asia flight from LCCT KUL into Changi or opt for the bus ride?

The bus ride takes about 6hrs. We are staying at the Park Royal Hotel in KL and need to get to Peninsular Excelsior in Singapore.

I reckon the total door to door time by air and by bus will be the same, althought Air Asia is slightly cheaper than the coach.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Amit

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,670 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia versus coach from KL to Singapore

Flying is 4 hours door to door (1 hour KL to Airport, 1 hour wait for flight, 1 hour flight. 1 hour from Landing to your hotel in Singapore).

Paris,France
Level Contributor
186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia versus coach from KL to Singapore

Hi,

The price for bus is less than 10 $US and you can see the landscape.

You don't need to book early. If you take the plane, you have to book early, pay more, the plane may be delays, ...

Mumbai
Level Contributor
332 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia versus coach from KL to Singapore

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I was told that majority of the buses need to be booked in advance as their seats gets sold out on the day of departure.

Plus the added hassle of unloading the bags and reloading them at the border.

Any idea where these buses usually drop you in singapore city?

Paris,France
Level Contributor
186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia versus coach from KL to Singapore

Hi,

There is many buses per day to Singapore.

If you want to book in advance, you can ask in the reception of your hotel or with a travel agency.

Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia versus coach from KL to Singapore

I've had multiple first hand experiences with flying and taking a bus from Singapore to KL and back and will go to my grave stating that a bus beats a plane! My/our flight experiences have been nothing short of frustrating nightmares. Flying should be the better way, but it is not! Firstly, the KL budget terminal is nothing short of complete mayhem and disorganization. In all our excessive travels have we ever experience such lack of organization. Your gate is here, no it's changed to there, no now it's there.... where?... there!... run along the tarmac walkway (follow the crowd), is this flight going to Singapore? NO! Excuse me airport worker, where is flight # to Singapore. I do not know... maybe down further. Run down further, encounter another pair of workers, same question, same response. Run, run, run, to the absolute end of the passenger walkway... Q: is this the flight to Singapore? A: I hope so! In the end we made it, but only because the flight was delayed. Get to Singapore = walk, walk, walk, stand in a very long line at immigration/customs, wait for luggage (yes, still waited) and finally got a taxi. Was that 4 - 5 hours? NO!! The bus has never been late! The bus has typically been less than five hours. SO, GO BUS!

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia versus coach from KL to Singapore

Wow kayeen, you just helped me make up my mind NOT to use Air Asia and the LCCT.

I have a better suggestion. Next time, use Jetstar Asia. It takes off at KLIA, and its on time.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia versus coach from KL to Singapore

Hi,

I agree with 5.

It is a real hassle to take the planes from KL to Sin compared to the bus.

Plane delays are common and you get hit by the hotel transfers and departure tax.

There is no one central bus terminal in singapore. It depends on which operator you use.

Popular terms include Queen Street, Golden Mile, People's Park in Chinatown and Bukit Timah Copthorne( convenient for Orchard Road).

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia versus coach from KL to Singapore

You should also consider the fact that you'll be sitting in the bus for 6 hours. By flying, the change in activities takes the mind of the long journey and you may feel that the time spent is less.

There are many airlines that fly the KUL-SIN route for example Jetstar Asia, Tiger Airways, Air Asia, Malaysia Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Silkair, Air India & Sri Lankan Airlines. Actual flight time is 45-55 mins and once you arrive, you'll be out in less than 30 mins. Easy peasy.

I've flown and bussed this route and I'll take the plane anytime. My experiences with the airlines are not bad either, though admittedly, service varies due to various reasons and expectations.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Asia versus coach from KL to Singapore

Well, there are the luxury coaches that comes with entertainment system on board. Its personal and you choose what you want watch. yes, 5-6 hours may be long, but much to your preference. I would rather take the coach instead on budget airline. Other airlines, you are paying much more for which I do not wish too given the marginal difference (in my opinion). Afterall, on board the coach, I can either watch a movie and then catch up with some sleep. Time just flys and I don't see any worry about killing time. There is a comfort stop some 3 hours on the way, then follow by custom clearance. May be a hassle, but that gives reason to kill time too,

Cheaper version of the luxury coach only need to pay $55 return or $28 one way. 26 seater coach comes with self entertainment system (headphone not provided). Send you to MRT station not forgetting light snack and a bottle of water.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Asia versus coach from KL to Singapore

I vote flying, any time. And I make this trip at least a couple of times a month. In addition to the above, there's also Fireflyz out of Subang Airport: a mere 25km from downtown KL. Of course Jetstar's my choice, very seldom late.

The buses scare me ... too many accidents on the highway. And you'd think I'd be used to this mad way of driving.