We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants/Food Markets

england
Level Contributor
334 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants/Food Markets

We are stopping over in Singapore for one night staying at the Intercontinental Hotel, which we are told is not far from Raffles Hotel. As we do not arrive until around 7pm can anyone recommend a good standard reasonably price hotel, which is not too far from the hotel. We like most foods, in particular their local cuisine, Italian or Indian. Where is the nearest food market similar to Newton Circus?

Mentioned in this post
Raffles Hotel Singapore
Raffles Hotel Singapore
4,293 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants/Food Markets

intercontinental is the one at bugis right? its one mrt stop from Raffles but the walk is about a 15-20 min walk provided that you don't get lost.

hmm, in that area there are no hawker centres similar to the one at Newton, nearest i can think of is chinatown. food courts are plenty, with similar prices to the hawker centre at Newton, similar layout and choices with the addition of air conditioning.

Mentioned in this post
Newton
Newton
1 Review
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants/Food Markets

Oscar

Good news for U, Althought NewTon Circus is close for rebuilding, most or All the old stall had move to a temporary location that is 30m away, before the Old location.

U can take Bus 960 at the bus stop opposite Ur Hotel (On Victoria Street, travelling towards Newton Circus) U will be able to check the Bus guide that is display at the busStop. If I am not wrong, It is about 7 BusStop away and U will see the Temporary Hawker Centre b4 U alight, Make sure to ask the Driver to inform U when reaching.

Or there is a Hawker place right in the middle of Bugis Village (Opposite Ur Hotel,go thru Bugis Village and the place is infront of Fu Lu Shou Complex). There are more food in the Morning & afternoon than nite, so it better to check Newton.

Have Fun Chomping Singapore Food

Mentioned in this post
Newton
Newton
1 Review
Singapore, Singapore
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants/Food Markets

if u want to be near Raffles Hotel, I would recommend Carlton Hotel. Intercontinental is a bit further, closer to Clark Quay (SIN river area).

If you like Newton Circus, I would opt for Glutton Bay or Lau Pa Sat. Nothing is like the old Newton as all of the Hawker Centers had been or currently upgrading. The other one is Maxwell (near Chinatown). Or take a short cab right to Chomp Chomp. If not, I would go to the one in East Coast, really nice food and if they havent change anything (not sure if they are next in line for updating) still a real feel of local hawker center.

But at bugis where Intercontinental is, you have a good food court at Parco or Bugis Village.

Good luck

Mentioned in this post
Raffles Hotel Singapore
Raffles Hotel Singapore
4,293 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Carlton Hotel Singapore
Carlton Hotel Singapore
4,276 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Newton
Newton
1 Review
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants/Food Markets

Oscar

I forgot to mention that, U could also eat at a Mini Newton type of Hawker place, which is right next to The Esplanade, on the Marina Bay Front.

The place is call Glutton Square. (Lots of singaporean Favourite hawker food, by some of the best hawker in SG and consolidate together)

They start every evening after 6.30pm until late at nite (close around 12midnite or 2am). So U can take a leisure walk (15min) over after U have check into Ur hotel. Either U ask ur hotel conceige for direction OR:

U can check this website for further Direction

http://www.esplanade.com/SOPApp/espsop/portal_proxy?uri=1HM=oU80i!Lr,WkmrHl5chkBef14,YQcea-W_DFltV1cHwIEsJFM

BON APETITE!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants/Food Markets

there is a new very very small hawker centre type between center point shopping centre and Meridian hotel.

its just behind your hotel i think

england
Level Contributor
334 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants/Food Markets

Thanks to everyone who replied. Your information is very much appreciated. We'll have no problems now in finding somewhere to eat. Thanks again.