We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penang and Krabi each for 1 day on Superstar Gemini

Mona Vale, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Penang and Krabi each for 1 day on Superstar Gemini

Hi,

We will be spending 1 day in Penang and 1 day in Krabi in early January 06. Does anyone have any ideas about day tours that we can book prior to travel or when we arrive as an option other than the expensive organised tours from the cruise.

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Penang and Krabi each for 1 day on Superstar Gemini

Hi Ozygirl,

So Singapore dollars is best bet then, I can then use them while staying at Singapore & for anything on the ship where I don't use the card. I presume I would change these up on board to obtain local currency when doing shore excursions; i.e. Thai Baht & Maylaysian currency in Kuala Lumpar & Penang?

I will therefore only need American $$ for Bali.

Mona Vale, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Penang and Krabi each for 1 day on Superstar Gemini

Hi Bobby,

Everything on the ship must be paid for via the card & when settling your account at reception they will accept any currency, however, they convert it to Singapore dollars. Also, they will convert any currency on the ship for you, so if you have pounds, they will convert the pound to Singapore dollars, then to the currency that you want. I noticed that at the resort thats at the port when you pull into Langkawai, their exchange rate for the australian dollar was 2.88 where as at thomas cook at Sydney Airport we only recieved an exchange of 2.40. So exchange rates in port are better than on the ship and also at the airport.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but in regards to american dollars, we noticed that when we went to vietnam last year, it was benificial to exchange our money for the US dollar in Oz and then to buy the local currency using the US dollar as in the poorer countries where their currency is quite weak, they are keen to buy US dollars because of the stability of the currency. Im not sure if that applies to Malaysia & Thaliand as well, but is worth looking into....

Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Penang and Krabi each for 1 day on Superstar Gemini

Hi Bobby,

If you haven't left yet, take a look at this site. It will give you more detailed information on Gemini's shore excursions and cost. It helped us plan our trip a little better.

cruises.com.sg/Star_Cruise/…Krabi

We just returned from cruising Gemini and had a FANTASTIC time!!!

Cheers,

Melbourne Aust
Level Contributor
469 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Penang and Krabi each for 1 day on Superstar Gemini

Niah, Just had a look at the site. Great information. What tours did you do. What would you recommend and not recommend? Thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Penang and Krabi each for 1 day on Superstar Gemini

Hi 96ers,

It would depend on what you are interested in and what you enjoy doing. Also, the parties you are traveling with (kids etc...) I'll tell you what we did though.

Kuala Lumpur- We went on the Asian Melting Pot shore excursion. It did take 1 hour to the City and 1 hour back. We thought it would give us a chance to look at the country on the way to and from KL. If you are interested in history, you may enjoy this tour. The speaker system was not working properly so those in the back of the coach couldn't hear the tour guide all that well. We went to see the Blue Mosque but from a distance. We took photos with the Blue Mosque in the background. It looked fairly close because the Blue Mosque is huge! We did not go into the Blue Mosque like we thought we would. We also visited a Tao temple, which we were allowed in and even got to participate in some of their rituals. We then had a Malay buffet style lunch at a hotel. Most of the main dishes were a bit spicy, but we love spicy food, so not a problem for us. We enjoyed trying the different dishes and desserts. The food overall was okay. We then went up to KL Towers, which gives you a beautiful view of all of KL from atop, including the Petronas Towers. It took us 58 seconds in the elevator to get to the top. Please note, the Petronas Towers is not open on Mondays, the day Gemini is in KL. We did get to shop for about 40 minutes at the base of the Petronas Towers. On the drive back to the ship we all fell asleep, except for hubby. According to my children (ages 11 and 13), they only enjoyed the KL Towers. I do think they enjoyed a little more then that. Compared to everything else we did on the trip, they said this was the most boring, but then again, these are 2 active boys. Everything else we did on the trip was much more adventurous then sight seeing. As I said, it all depends on what you enjoy doing.

Big Tip: As Ozygirl mentioned, go to all the Port Pointers. They will cover everything you need to know about each Port you disembark at. This is a must!

I'll cover what we did at the other Port's a little later. I need to take care of some things. We've got a couple extra boys this weekend, must get them to the beach!

When are you headed out?

Melbourne Aust
Level Contributor
469 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Penang and Krabi each for 1 day on Superstar Gemini

Thanks Niah. We're off on the 25th March cruising but are in Singapore from the 19th March beforehand. We're travelling on the Pacific Sky and because the ships go to some of the same islands I thought it might be good to get some early info. You never know some of the tours maybe similar on offer??

This time we are not taking our kids. We're doing this by ourselves. Our first holiday by ourselves ever.

Look forward to more info. Thanks again.

Kerri

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Penang and Krabi each for 1 day on Superstar Gemini

Hi Niah, Thanks for the site that shows the shore excursions, but already found that one, agreed its very informative & I'm still juggling with what to do, although Kuala Lumpur is definitely out cos everyone tells me the same 'to long on the coach!'

I'm thinking of doing the sea canoe adventure for day in Phang Nga Bay (Phuket) but still not sure about the night excursion in Phuket,do we do ''Fantasea'' like my parents say 'lovely show' or do we just go into Patong to see the real nightlife (no children with us on this trip!).

I know you had the children with you but can you let me know what you thought about some of the shore excursions from an 'adult only' point of view. By the way, excuse my ignorance but what are 'port pointers' as mentioned by Ozygirl & you?

By the way I leave UK 8th February & board ship on the 12th February 2006, counting down the days now!