We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to know about jewellary - May be de can help

Seoul
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Need to know about jewellary - May be de can help

Hello,

I am on my way to Singapore at the new year day .. i promised to buy a diamond to my wife... i was wondering from where should i start searching for it ... I am looking for a diamond pendant. somewhere around 0.3 to 0.5 carrot,

any idea what should be the price? which are the good places to buy it? is it in airport ? or anywhere else?

I am sure de can help...

and, de one more help required is i want to buy a decent watch, may be of Armani ( not geogio but Emporio ..!!!) ... do you suggest Lucky Plaza... do you know any special shop whoch you think is authentic aqnd dont rob the customers....

I am waiting for your reply...

Rgds,

Rajib

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to know about jewellary - May be de can help

hey Rajib,

I am not sure I can help you this time as I am not really a shopper (I am an onine shopper, hate crowds and all the pushing and shoving and no patience to browse around for a bargain).

I had only bought pearls in SIN (really good value) and jewelry (precious stones like diamonds, etc) in HK and NY (cheaper than SIN).

If you want a good diamond, you would have to go to a reputable jeweler in town but that also means the price may not be cheap. The same goes for branded watches (btw, Armani doesnt make that good watches, you should go for Swiss makers like Brietling, etc). But if you still want it, there is an Armani store in Paragon (there are a few other brand stores in there so just shop in that building for other options, the other places to hunt for branded watches are Hilton Hotel shopping arcade, Palais Renaissance and Takashimaya).

I wont trust Lucky Plaza or Far East Plaza for watches (you never know if the mechanism in the watches are originals as there were cases where the whole watch is original eg. belt, face, etc but the most important thing about a watch is its mechanism ! And this is the item that is missing and replaced by ordinary ones which will never last or works as the orignial swiss ones which is why some people can get such a great deal on expensive watches eg. Rolexes but when they brought it back home, it didnt last and when sent for repairs, were told about the truth and got to pay huge $$$ to get the replacement)

Good luck, sorry cant be of much help.

Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to know about jewellary - May be de can help

Dear Rajib.

To buy an expensive present, I suggest you visit a few jellewery store to compare prices and quality.

Reently there are few outlets selling diamond as a very special prices. It ranges from hundred to few thousand $.

Don't forget to claim your Goods Service Tax

( GST ) before your departure.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to know about jewellary - May be de can help

Hi I am not de but i am a jeweller

On my last trip to singapore.........i was shocked at the price of jewelry

I strongly advice you NOT to buy diamond jewellery in singapore

There is a strong possibility that you willnot get your money's worth

I suggest that you check out when the jewellery fair is on in hong kong and buy if from there.......the orice is fair and the quality is high

please save your money

If you want, you can buy mountings in lucky plaza and buy the stones later and have it set

DO NOT BUY YOUR STONES IN SINGAPORE

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to know about jewellary - May be de can help

Hi Princess Sharon,

So glad you're online. Am on the lookout for rubies. Would it be better value for money to buy it in BKK or here?

Was out shopping around yesterday but apparently not many Singapore jewellers carry much designs of ruby pendants. So I was thinking perhaps I should get one in BKK. What's your take?

*BTW de, now we've got a Jewellery Expert in addition to your Hotels/Attractions Expert title and the rest of us - the Food Experts. Hahz!

Seoul
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to know about jewellary - May be de can help

HI All.

thanx for the advise. One thing I am a little bit cofused among your opinions is

IS teh Diamond quality is good but i have to pay more money for that than HT or NY

or

The quality of diamond itself is bad ?

Somebody told about some shops which sell branded jewellary , could i get the name ?

And, the Princess, as an jeweller, could you give me some hint or some questions to ask if i am anyway going to buy.. i mena what you will ask if you go to buy some diamond at Singapore, i know yopu wont, but you may...

Moreover, even if the price is high, could you suggest some shops where i can go.. may be my budget is 700-900USD... for pendant... is it more or less.... I am not a rich guy....

just keeping my promise to my wife...

Cheers.. and thanx in advance..

Rajib

Seoul
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to know about jewellary - May be de can help

Hello Again,

just forget to ask if the ladies can suggest some other gemstone which is cheaper at Singapore, instead of Diamond .... and what are the places to have them?

De alreday told about Pearl.

Waiting,

Rajib

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to know about jewellary - May be de can help

Hey checkers,

Thailand is 'the' place for rubies but not sure if BKK is the town for it. Try the border towns (closer to Myanmar), they have better prices and more than one type of precious stones (sapphire, jade etc. Burmese jade are legendary). But mind you, the prices for rubies had taken a huge curve upwards so you are in for a sticker shock.

Good Luck

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to know about jewellary - May be de can help

De,

It seems to me that I have decided to buy the diamond from Singapore, a diamond pendant within 700-9oo USD.... I searched the old post and there are quite a few suggestions about diamond..

It seems here are my options..

1) Diamond Centre : Huge collection but may beb so so sort of

2) Janet Lee : Seems have good diamond, have expatriate clients. still teh shop seems very small.. couldnot understand teh paradox.

3) larry Jewellary : NO Comment..

4) I saw in a previous post you suggested Soo Kee and lee Hwa.. which other people seems expensive but not up to the mark in quality..

5) GoldHeart .... I dont know..

So, Please let me out of this ...... pull a string or two and suggest something to me among these ... Will you?

feel free to say any other shops if you are confident about that ...

by the way, do u have any idea how much carrot i should expect within 700 -900 US $..

And, at the end, my budget for watch is within 200 US $, mind of suggesting some brand...

Cheers,

rajib

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need to know about jewellary - May be de can help

Larry is a big name in HK, have seen it in SIN but never visited, only know it is not cheap but guarantee of good quality.

As I had said, I havent bought any diamonds in SIN (the place to be is Antwerp for diamonds) so I really cant say who is better. You may have to go with PrincessSharon's suggestion. I dont feel good about recommending something I dont know about esp. if it is worth a little value.

Tell your wife if she will let you go this time, next time you will take her to Europe and buy her a REAL GOOD diamond (and you will be happy with the price !!!).

Good Luck !

Seoul
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need to know about jewellary - May be de can help

Thanks De,

I will try to convince her . Thanx for this honest and sincere suggestion..

About the watch, Can i get some decent branded watch within 200 USD.... if there are a few brands in that range.. could you suggest some brand like Brietling ( as you suggested in earlier post .. ! ) and if you know the plcae to get that...

I may be asking more to you... really sorry if i am bothering you too much...

Thanx,

rajib