We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Shangri La

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
67 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Shangri La

Staying for six nights in February.

3 on the way to NZ in the Tower wing booked on a Trailfinders concession and 3 on the way back on a Singapore stopover concession only notified as a Double room.

I want to make the most of my stay in the hotel, should I pay or ask for upgrades or take it as it comes and ask if Im unhappy with anything.

Pleased to hear your comments

Silverhead

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Shangri La

Tower wing is the main wing of the Shangri La (been completely redone not long ago), then you have the Garden Wing (more resort like rooms) which is very pretty, laced with bougainvillea on the balconies but the Valley wing gives you the feel of Oriental elegance as well as amazing quality service. This wing has very big room (so are those in the garden wing but i feel that the valley wing's are even more spacious) and very nice bathrooms. I have not been there since the most recent update but it should only be better now ! Though you do have to walk the bridge to get to the main area where the restaurants are. Valley wing has its own entrance (in the back of the property) and lobby.

Double room normally means you have a room for two in a queen or king-sized bed. It doesnt tell you which wing you are in specifically so I think if I were you, I will just go with the flow when I check in. No harm in emailing the hotel and ask for specifics before I arrive. Btw, Valley wing rooms are the most expensive of the 3 wings (i think they had precalculated the extras that come with the rooms eg. limo service, champagne, butler and personalized stationery) but if you want to be spoilt, I say go for it !

Enjoy !!!

Mentioned in this post
The Garden
The Garden
191 Reviews
Sentosa Island, Singapore
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Shangri La

PS forgot to mention that most of the guests at Valley wing I had met are usually corporate travelers and some even been staying there for months ! So if dont want to mix around with this bunch of serious professionals, the Tower and Garden wing may have a more holiday feel. Though the amenities and decor at the Valley wing is really nice, more modern than the other two.

Hertfordshire.Uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Shangri La

Are you traveling with a partner if so then upgrade to the valley wing it will be worth it.

warwickshire uk
Level Contributor
129 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Shangri La

my wife and i are booked in aug. for 4 days give us the gen when you get back

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Shangri La

Hi Silverhead

Dun pay for upgrade, just be nice to the person serving U (hopefully a lady) and ask if you can be upgraded, normally this can be done when they are not fully booked with room available, as my business friend from US had mentioned. ^___^

When u are staying at the hotel, do go to Shang Palace Chinese Restaurant for Dim Sum on a weekend. It is the most Authentic Cantonese Dim sum U can get.

Have a great trip to Singapore.

Mentioned in this post
Shang Palace
Shang Palace
301 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore