We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with 2 young children & romantic anniversary...

London
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay with 2 young children & romantic anniversary...

Hello

We will be staying in Singapore for 3 or 4 nights next week (15th Nov+) on a stopover from Oz to UK. We have a baby & toddler and would appreciate your advice on good, reasonable priced hotels in suitable locations. Top price would probably be about $200 SD per night. Goodwood Park had been recommended, but I noticed that it has a child policy stating children must be over 2yrs - so that counts us out! We are feeling pretty sleep deprived, so our priority will be to have a few days chilling out with children before returning to work etc.. Therefore we want a hotel that has a swimming pool, can offer child friendly facilities - with good food/restaurants. Probably not in the busiest tourist areas, but somewhere that is possible to walk to food centres from the hotel (with a buggy!). Is Sentosa a good place to stay?

Also - ideas on essential things to do in 3 days would be good.

Finally - we will be there for our wedding anniversary - any ideas of romantic things we could do (bearing in mind we have 2 young babies?!).

Thanks for reading this - hope someone can help!

Regards

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay with 2 young children & romantic anniversary...

Hi there :)

hope I can offer some help. I was offered in Sep. '05 to stay at the Goodwood Park with my family (spouse, 3 year old son and 18 month old daugther) so I am a little surprised at the age policy. Maybe you should email them and ask ?

We had ended up staying at the Regent hotel (Four Seasons management) where we had a good time. They do not have a baby pool (but the hotel has swimming rings for the kids as well as some pool toys so my kids just played on the steps if they are not out in the water on floats which I bought from Toys R Us just down the street, I had also left it at the hotel so I dont have to lugged it home and for someone else who might use them). It is right next to Tanglin Mall where there is a good grocery store, a food court and a cafe/deli. Forum Galleria is the mall for kids and they have an indoor playground (small area with kids gym mats as well as a tiny slide with a few bikes). This is on the 2nd or 3rd floor (sorry dont remember exactly). Anyway, Babies R Us is in this building and it is only a 3 min walk from the hotel (with strollers !). From here, you can walk to Orchard Road junction (Scotts Road) in another 7 mins.

The other hotel next to it is the Traders (part of Shangri La). It is a good hotel as well with a nice good size pool and a kid's pool !!!. These two hotels are walking distance to Botanic Gardens. If I were you, I will seriously consider this hotel, just the baby pool alone is a plus and having Tanglin Mall next door is extra !

For your price range, another good hotel with a pool is Merchant Court or Intercontinental hotel. MC is in Chinatown with the newest MRT line just opened in front of it. You can walk around easily or take the MRT anywhere. Intercontinental is right in Bugis Junction, the MRT stop is a couple of minutes walk and this hotel is linked to a shopping mall. Both hotels' restaurants are pretty good (esp. Intercontinental). Intercontinental has a kids' pool. MC has a slide in the pool (not sure how old your other kid is but kids love this).

I had noticed the special price for Marina Mandarin from asiabesthotel.com. I had not stayed here yet since they reopen after the big renovation (Oct) but from previously, their pool is pretty big (enough for swimming laps) and service is good. This may be another choice as it is linked to Marina shopping mall (huge) and linked by bridges to Suntec which is in turn linked to the City Hall MRT by underground passages (lined with shops of all kinds). City Hall MRT below Raffles City where you will find more shopping and dining options. Chimjes and Raffles Hotel are across on different sides. Also, this hotel's restaurants are pretty good. For your anniversary, you can get a couple's package for their spa treatment then end up at one of their restaurants for dinner :)

Sheraton Towers is right next to Newton MRT station, walking distance to Scotts Road (about 6 mins walk). It is a nice hotel with a nice pool. It is a little away from the main crowds. Right next door is Hotel Asia where they have a good Cantonese restaurant that serves good dim sum.

Hilton Hotel (i dont mention this hotel much but it is a good hotel !) is not in the midst of things but close enough to the main junciton of Orchard and Scotts. They have special buffet on a daily basis that are pretty good. They have kids menu, babysitting services (one of the better rates in town for only S$7 an hour !) and high chairs for the restaurants. They have a pool but I dont remember if there is a kids' pool

Royal Plaza on Scotts is in a great location along Scotts Road, nice hotel, walking distance to anywhere along Scotts or Orchard or Tanglin Road. Orchard MRT is right round the corner. Pool is ok (doesnt have the open feel like the others)

There may be a few other hotels but this list will keep going ! So I will just end here for others to chip in :)

Sentosa is fun for kids but to get around is not very convenient simply coz you have to get over the bridge to Singapore Island for the other attractions and dining options. Spend a full day there is enough.

Other activities with kids :

1) Zoo (bring along some swimming stuff and change of clothes coz there are two play area for kids with little pools to cool them off and they love it ! Even I had fun ! In one area it is a series of little pools resembling streams linked by rubberized floor so they can run around and go down the two baby slides into the main central pool. The other one has a bunch of structure that spews water out acting like cool mists)

2) Science Center, IMAX or Discovery Center

3) Big Splash or CN West Leisure Park (water themed park)

4) Harbor/ Boat Rides along Singapore River

5) Jurong Bird Park

Have fun and enjoy your vacation/anniversary !

PS. If you stay at the Traders, walk over to Botanic Gardens and dine in Au Jardin for a special dinner (pricey French restaurant but good food). Voted the most romantic spot in town.

There are tons of good restaurants in town so if you can list the type of cuisine you would prefer for the anniversary night, we can all suggest a few. I like the Italian restuarant in the Marina Mandarin - Bologna or Pontini at the Grand Copthrone Waterfront. After a good dinner, take the ferry (right off the hotel's jetty!) to Clark or Boat Quay. Or you can just dine in Boat Quay or the Esplanade and take the night harbor cruise :)

London
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay with 2 young children & romantic anniversary...

Wow - thanks for such detailed info. I'm just about to re-read it and then look at prices. I will be back with some more questions soon! With regards to Goodwood Park - the child policy was stipulated on a booking website (I think asia rooms) - However, on the others I tried (Asiabest and Marimari) it wasn't mentioned. I was also wandering whether an appartment would be more suitable. Marimari offer Goodwood appartments for 220 SD which sounded good to me - or are there any other alternatives for such a short period?

Anyhow, thanks again - will be in touch soon.

Regards

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay with 2 young children & romantic anniversary...

if you are looking for apartments, try this website :

valuestay.com.sg

Most apartments has a minimum of 7 nights but this site offers daily rate for certain properties.

Good luck :)

PS. Traders hotel has apartments as well (not sure what the ongoing rate is).

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay with 2 young children & romantic anniversary...

actually, goodwood apartments is not a bad idea coz it is right on the property but an annex so not linked to the hotel. You have to walk pass the car park to get to the hotel.

In these split level apartments, there is a little kitchenette for baby needs (warming milk, etc). Location is good, towards the end of Scotts Road.

Good Luck :)