We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetstar, Asia Air, World's first ''budget'' alliance

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,113 posts
Save Topic
Jetstar, Asia Air, World's first ''budget'' alliance

Which can only be good news for Singapore's future business success. No details are relased as yet, but it's ''hot off the press'' doubtless more to follow.

With promises of flight prices being slashed Singapore can look forwards to a boom in revenue. Lets hope for all our sakes Singapore maintains it's high standards, whilst earning all this extra dosh. Alan.

www.channelnewsasia.com/business/index.htm

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jetstar, Asia Air, World's first ''budget'' alliance

I am glad they left Tiger out for the moment.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jetstar, Asia Air, World's first ''budget'' alliance

It's more for Jetstar Australia and Air Asia Malaysia.

Jetstar Asia (based in Singapore) has a different management team from Jetstar Australia. They only share the "Jetstar" name.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,113 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetstar, Asia Air, World's first ''budget'' alliance

''It's more for Jetstar Australia and Air Asia Malaysia''.

Exactly Kevin-sg, and it's these carriers that will be bringing more people, and their hard earned INTO Singapore.

It must be a great time to be a Singaporean just now, jobs created all over the place, I wish the UK were having half the success Singapore is having. Alan.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jetstar, Asia Air, World's first ''budget'' alliance

I would not be holding my breath for lower prices.... higher profits, maybe!!

At this stage, this looks like an "alliance" for acqusition of aircrafts. No mention of code-sharing, joint services, etc.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jetstar, Asia Air, World's first ''budget'' alliance

Alan.... hmmm... I don't quite get u there... it is more beneficial for Australia and Malaysia in terms of airline operations. It will not involve Singapore. The alliance is more about sharing of airline engineering, maintenance and ground handling svcs. There are no code share flights. Air Asia X flies direct from KL to some Australian cities and same goes for Jetstar Australia operations to KL.

<< ...it's these carriers that will be bringing more people, and their hard earned INTO Singapore. >> Like I said, it will not be an increase of flights. The alliance is sharing maintenance and ground handling. The 2 airlines have direct flights between the 2 countries and they are not routed thru Singapore.

Aren't they reviving Blackpool in some way or another?

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,113 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jetstar, Asia Air, World's first ''budget'' alliance

Kevin of course it will ''involve'', (benefit) Singapore, in as much as cheaper fares, as is suggested by the merger, will encourage more people to fly to Singapore for their holidays.

The more people that come to Singapore, the more money is brought to the Island's economy, the better for Singaporean jobs, hotels, restaurants, hawkers, and all recreational facilities etc.

That's what I meant by ''Good news for Singapore''

Don't know about Blackpool, I live in Whitby. Alan.

Moruya, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jetstar, Asia Air, World's first ''budget'' alliance

All these benefits come with a big compromise in SAFETY.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,113 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jetstar, Asia Air, World's first ''budget'' alliance

Quote from moruya2;

''All these benefits come with a big compromise in SAFETY''.

With respect that's a pretty wild accusation that there is ''Big compromise in SAFETY''.

There is little if any proof that ''budget airlines'' per-se are any less safe, OK SOME Indonesian airlines have a pretty dismal record, but Australia is not Indonesia.

Certainly Australia takes air safety very seriously, and has an enviable record. Every flight, car journey, boat trip or even a walk down the street carries some element of risk, but there is no reason to believe any ''Jet-Star'' associated airline is any less safe than any other. Alan. imho.

budgetairlineguide.com/budget-airlines-safety

…howstuffworks.com/personal-finance/budgetin…

Edited: 4:47 pm, January 06, 2010
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jetstar, Asia Air, World's first ''budget'' alliance

I agree with pojaya. How will the airfares be cheaper when the competition is being taken out of the market?

With this agreement it will mean only 2 carriers will compete with cheap airfares: Jetstar/Asia Air and Tiger.

10. Re: Jetstar, Asia Air, World's first ''budget'' alliance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 06, 2010