We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2010 F1 accommodation

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
2010 F1 accommodation

I loved Singapore in November so much that I have to go back.

I'm thinking of going to the F1 in September 2010 by myself as my wife will be doing other things. Can anyone suggest a budget accommodation that is not dormitory style backpackers for me please.

All I need is within walking distance form MRT , comfortable and with clean non-smoking rooms.

Thanks, Ken.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
115 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2010 F1 accommodation

I've been to both F1. In 2008 I stayed at Sentosa R & S and this year I stayed at the Fragrance Emerald . Both times I had tickets for the Turn 1 stand. The hotel was perhaps 10 mins. walk to the Gate 1 shuttle bus which is very convenient. The hotel was fairly basic but reasonably clean and the staff were OK. A lot of racefans were staying here

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2010 F1 accommodation

I am planning to go myself for the 2010 race and have been looking into it for a while. As your aware hotel prices will be more during this time. I haven't been looking for budget accomadation so cant help with specifics. However, there are some points worth considering.

I would make some sort of cancellable reservation now or before the tickets go on sale if you come across a god deal, this will give you some flexibility closer to the time if prices drop or you would like a better place.

The course covers a large area and is open from 3pm with re-entry permitted. You may want to book a hotel closer to a gate if your after general access/walkabout tickets, or if your getting a grandstand seat, getting one close to its recommend exit, to permit you leave and return as many times as you like (to get some food, return to your hotel for a shower or rest, shelter from the rain - the whole course is uncovered and umbrellas are not allowed). T1,T2,3 and the Pitgrandstands are quite a trek on foot from anywhere, so you will have to rely on the shuttle you out of town from the Marina area and mall to an MRT station, and then get a train back.

Alot of hotels are not advertising rates yet. Not budget I know, but the Mairina Sands and Sentosa developments are due to dump thousand of new hotel rooms on the market, hopfully in time for the race, which should put a downward price pressure on rooms in general. I dont normally stay at budget accomadation but had eyed up the Link hotel. A recent review has changed my mind but it is still a big cut above basic budget hotels. Curently around S$130 per night from the hotel website. Other budget places walking distance from the course are Hotel 81 Belcoolen, Hotel Bencoolen, Summer view and the Ibis. The Franrance chain are basic motel type accomodation, good value but locations are normally of the beaten track a little. May be a consideration for your wife if she is doing other things whilst you are attending the race.

May be you can indicate your budget and the standard of accomadation you are normlly used to.

Edited: 8:40 am, December 24, 2009
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2010 F1 accommodation

Good information and advice so far, thanks. My wife will not be going to Singapore at all so I'll be by myself for the whole trip. Usually we stay at 3 star places but on this occasion I'm prepared to "rough" it a bit so nothing flash is required. I have never been to an F1 race before so don't know really what to expect especially in the viewing aspect. I know you can get grandstand seats at a premium price but at other vantage points can you actually see racing, or are the cars gone in a flash and all you get is noise ?

Ken.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2010 F1 accommodation

I have been 4 F1GP's previously, but this will be the first one in Singapore. Everyone has their own preferance. Mine is to position myself at a corner so I can see cars approaching, and slowing down to a speed where their more than a blur. Preferably with a view of a big screen or hire a hand held Kangaroo device. Sound, smells and feeling those low frequencies, engine notes, as well as the view are all part of the experience. You'll need to decide if you'd like a fixed seat in a grandstand or stand for the event (alot cheaper) but with the ability to view from varoius points (normally I go for a covered stand to keep out of the elements but in Singapore, only hospitality suites are covered. What I am looking forward to in Singapore is to be able to pop in an out of the circuit during the day catching the support races and all the practice and qualifying. The other GP I have attened where not street circuits so there was nothing outside the circuit within walking distance, and if you drove out there would be a big traffic jam to get back in for the main race.

Back on topic, the hotels I mention before will all fit the bill.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2010 F1 accommodation

Cheers Mankster, thanks for your advice. Does anybody know or can give information on how much hotel costs would increase because of the F1 ?

Am I best to book something now or wait. I did hear that there were some very good deals going close to the event because hotel rooms were not full as expected.

Ken.

Moruya, Australia
Level Contributor
252 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2010 F1 accommodation

G'day Buick54,

My wife and I are planning to see the 2010 event and have already reserved a junior suite at the YMCA @1 Orchard Rd. By staying here we can take advantage of shopping along Orchard Rd. as well as being within an easy walk from the circuit.

By the way, I like your handle, I used to own a 54 Chev, but always wanted a Skylark.

Cheers,

Rob

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2010 F1 accommodation

Thanks Rob. I'll check out YMCA. Skylark eh ? If you're talking 1954 Skylark then that's big $$$$

Ken.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2010 F1 accommodation

Firstly there is an additional 30% tax on trackside hotels and 20% for other 'Tourist' hotels for the 3 days that the race is run over. I am not certain if this means that the tax does does not apply to hostals and guesthouses. So you can expect prices to be higher than they normally would be even if the hotel is not at full occupancy just before the race.

In 2008 Hotels prices were initially very high and then as it appeared that rooms were going to be empty prices halved in the few weeks before the race. This upset a lot of guests you have paid in advannce at a higher rate. So for 2009, a group of the popular hotels including all the trackside ones together with the race organisers deviced a and publisied a scheme to atteact early bookings, by promising those who booked early that they would benifit from any price reduction that may happen before the race and they would hence always pay the the lowest rate. Rates in general were lower than in 2008. However the rates offered by the hotels that took part in this scheme did not drop like they did in 2008 when there were empty rooms in the weeks before the race. Rates of some other hotels that did not take part in the scheme did drop however - I remember that the Royal Plaza on Scotts, a big Orchard road 5*, could be had for S$345 per night inclusive of taxes with breakfast for the race period, just a few weeks before the race. I suspect thae scheme will return for 2010 once tickets go on sale. With 2 years of experience under their belts, I think prices will be more stable for the 2010. Alot of hotels are showing no rooms available for the race dates - these obviously aren't full they just haven't released prices yet. Others some distance away from the race are charging excessive premiums compared to their normal rates. If your here for a few days eitherside of the race you may want to consider staying at a lesser hotel for the 3 race days and a nicer one for the others.

My strategy is to make a refundable booking now, and see what happens when tickets go on sale other hotels release rooms. At the moment for a 5 night stay I have a booking for the Ibis for just under S$1000. I am not too familiar with more budget accomadation than the Ibis but obviously there are cheaper places like the Fragrance chain. I have spotted that some of the serviced apartments that normally require a 7 night stay can be had for less than a week. A room at the new Citadines Mount Sofia (walk to Orchard Road or Bugis MRT) is S$1200 for 5nights. For those after a trackside 5* it may be woth waiting to see how the 2500 new rooms in the Marina Sands Hotel affect prices before booking. Once again, you may want to have look at the course map and the locations of the entry/exit gates before deciding which stand and hotel you want to get. For example the Marina Grandstand is the most ecomincal seated grandstand but is best accessed from West, or the Singapore River (the River boats/taxi will bring you right there if you have a hotel in Clark Quay area) or Raffles Place MRT would be the most accessible station. It would be quite a trek on foot if you were ataying in the Orchard Road or Bugis areas.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
115 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2010 F1 accommodation

Some very good observations Mankster on accommadation.

As for ticket entries I hope I can help. For viewing , Turn 1 is the best, but you pay for it. Blocks A3-A6 are the best. The problem is getting a good high seat. I don't know how its "rigged" but the day after the tickets were released all I could get was 4th row up from the bottom which is pretty poor for photography. Paradoxically, the general admission tickets give access to some great corners for photography, but not much of a race overview. GA is fantastic value but you have to fight for your spot. The Padang also has the best and cheapest food. Access to this area is from Gate 4 ( at the end of Coleman St.)between City Hall and St. AndrewsCathedral. City Hall MRT is handy.There is plenty of table seating and shady areas here as well. With a GA ticket, access within the track is limited and entry to other zones is by ticket check.

In 2008, I stayed at the Sentosa resort and Spa. A hotel bus shuttle took me to Vivo City and I caught the MRT to Kallang for the Gate 1 bus shuttle. I wanted to stay 5* for personal reasons and this hotel was a bargain compared to the City and Orchard Rd. 5*s.

In 2009, I was on a more stringent budget and google Earth led me to the Fragrance Emerald. For the price ( 6 nights $A675) I was delighted. Its accessability to my gate at the track was brilliant, the neighbororhood was "interesting"and there is plenty of cheap food and drink around here.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2010 F1 accommodation

Hi wwroam, How often were the shuttles from Gate1? Regular or do they wait for enough people to show? Scramble to get one from the gate/MRT or were things organised? I am considering a T1/2 GS but I would like to pop in and out of the circuit and back again a few times during the day (I know Padang or Stamford GS would be more convenient, but I would prefer the better view from T1/2).