We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigarettes

India
6 posts
Save Topic
Cigarettes

I need to know if I can carry a few packets of cigarettes from India, for my own consumption. I am going on a 4 day holiday trip the coming week

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cigarettes

you shouldnt have any problems with the customs with a few packs.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cigarettes

By law you're only allowed one open pack of cigarettes for personal consumption and purchase the rest you need here. But I don't know ... there're some who seem to get away with it and others who are asked to keep the balance in the possession of the Customs people and collect them only on their return home.

Guess it really all depends on luck.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cigarettes

It might be my mistake then coz I had always thought it was one carton not one pack. Will ask my buds and confirm :)

India
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cigarettes

Thank you very much Checkers & De Last One. I would very much appreciate if you could please get back to me on confirmation on the same with your friend De Last One. Thanks once again.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cigarettes

The only information I can get from my friends are that duty free cigarettes are prohibited and only occassionally did they bring a carton in during long stints for work. They were not checked.

Their advice is that if you are bringing in a few packs, and if they ever check you, just say they are for personal consumption and you wont sure if they have that brand in SIN. The worst they can do is confisicate them. That is better than risking being fined for bringing in a carton.

Good Luck !

India
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cigarettes

Thnaks a ton De Last One. Let me take a few packets with me. Am leaving on Wednesday (21st) for a 4 day visit with family.

India
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cigarettes

Hi again De last one. One more query. I need to know approximately the charges if I take a cab one way to New Park Hotel (Near Mustaffa shopping centre) from the airport and is an amount of U.S.$375 worth is for a package for Airport transfer, Sentosa, Zoo, Night Safari, Jurong, etc. for a family of 3 (1 child of 8 yrs). Thank you once again.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cigarettes

Hi,

If you'd allow me to answer on behalf of de last one ... the cab fare from the airport should be about S$25 (give and take a little). And frankly speaking I think US$375 is way way too much for the attractions you've mentioned. I'd think it would be much cheaper if you do it all on your own.

If you purchase a 3-day Singapore Visitors Card at $45 per person online at www.thevisitorscard.com before 30Sep05, you'd get a 20% discount which works out to be $36 only. And this covers:

1. Cable car trip to and from Sentosa Island - $5.50 x 4 = $22

2. 1 Free Tram Ride worth S$4.00 with every full price admission adult ticket purchased at Zoo instead of S$18.00

3. 20% Discount on admission to Underwater World and Dolphin Lagoon - $25.60

and various other benefits you can find on their website.

Other expenses:

1. Sentosa admission charges - $9 x 3A + $6 x 1C = $33

2. A parkers special for the Zoo, Night Safari and Birdpark admission fees at $30 x 3A + $15 X 1C = $105

4. Airport Transfers - Approx $30 x 2ways = $60

Think all the above only works out to be approx $350 ... and all in Sing $. Less than 1/2 of what you've been quoted.

India
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cigarettes

Hi Checkers,

Thank you very much for the valuable information you have provided me with. I will go to the website you have mentioned and look to buy the card. Thanks a ton once again. I'd probably love to talk or meet you when I am in Singapore.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cigarettes

Totally agree with checkers :)

For these tourist attractions or any others in SIN, it is so easy to get to and since there are promotions around, it is better to do it yourself rather than get a deal with a travel agency.

Btw, get that card before Sep ends and you get a discount !

Have a great trip !

PS. the other card is Uniquely Singapore card, also special promotions with some of the attractions, this card is free so check it out visitsingapore.com/publish/…index.html