We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sony PSP and digital cameras

australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
sony PSP and digital cameras

hi we are visiting singapore in october and my son wants to buy a psp and we want a digital camera, anyone have any suggestions on where to shop and are the prices cheaper than Australia??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sony PSP and digital cameras

I am in singapore at the moment and I just had a look at the PSP and they are about $500 singapore dollars so no they are not cheaper than in aussie.

Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sony PSP and digital cameras

Hi Mark, any particular brand of digital camera that you are looking at?

australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sony PSP and digital cameras

hi, I am not really sure what brand of camera as am new to all this, but someting compact, at least 5 megapixels and with rechargable batteries, simple to use, and a large memory card, any suggestions??

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
597 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sony PSP and digital cameras

if you go to reputable outlets that sell items with worldwide warranty, you might not necessarily get a price that much lower than in your home country. maybe you would save a little bit because our goods and service tax is "only" 5% (vs 17.5% VAT in the UK). otherwise, the base price for good brands will be roughly the same. no bigname company makes digital cameras in singapore.

on the other hand, you can get very cheap no-name digital cameras, i saw a 5 megapixel camera for S$99. But its a local brand...no international warranty.

Then there are a few shops that sell parallel imports of big name brands, with NO warranties, and manuals in Arabic or Spanish. Cheap, yeah, but...

Anyway, here is a rough guide...

sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/cat.php?id=188

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sony PSP and digital cameras

I found this to be a good source of information for someone who is starting out in the world of digital photography:

www.shortcourses.com/choosing/contents.htm

As another poster has pointed out I would agree the prices in Singapore would be generally lower than those in Australia, and especially so if you get a GST refund on your way home.

If you have the time you might want to check out the models and prices in a few stores close to your hotel and shortlist 3 or 4 models you like. Then venture into Mustafa's (while you're taking in the sights, sounds and aromas in Little India), compare prices and make a decision.

Good luck.

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: sony PSP and digital cameras

Just did a quick check and you can get a PSP with bonus pack (includes case, earphones) for about SG$450. This comes up to about AU$350 I think. This is from a little electronics shop that I happened to pass by today so if you work off this number you probably shouldn't include a GST refund when doing a price comparison. Good luck!

KJU
Western Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sony PSP and digital cameras

I may be biased but Canon make excellent digital cameras. When buying a digital camera the lens quality is very important. Canon cameras have excellent lenses. Megapixels become insignificant if a camera has an inferior quality lens. I have 3 canon digital cameras (1 SLR for my serious stuff, ixus and a cheaper one for the kids to use) all are really good. The Ixus is so compact and easy to fit in our pocket-I take mine everywhere and takes great shots. Good luck and enjoy the world of digital photography.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sony PSP and digital cameras

Hi,

The best place (prices) to shop for electronic stuff in Singapore is Paris Silk:

http://www.parisilk.com/

Staff are knowledgeable and can give you information over the phone. Now that they have an email address, you could try to write to them and ask them for info/differences on which camera is better, etc.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,610 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sony PSP and digital cameras

I have to agree with Jade coz I had been a regular customer at Parisilk in Holland Village since 1985. They do have more than most shops and prices are usually better.

Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: sony PSP and digital cameras

Hi Mark, just in case you're still interested to gather more information on camera prices, perhaps you can try mailing to alanfoto@singnet.com.sg and see what kind of competetive prices they can offer you. Cheers!