We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

move in checklist to S'pore

PHILIPPINES
2 posts
Save Topic
move in checklist to S'pore

Hi! In a couple of months, I am looking forward to move in to Singapore...hoping to stay for a couple of years for additional studies. Have made a few brief visits this year...I find the locals quite friendly and polite, not to mention the country quite culturally interesting as called " melting pot " of the Orient, is it?

Anyway,would greatly appreciate on some pointers for new migrants...what are the things to watch out for....accommodation, medical and the do's and don't- so called " ethics " in dealing with the locals, the parameters of sinagaporean laws...plus others.

Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: move in checklist to S'pore

Do not bring chewing gums as it is ban here.

Malaysia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: move in checklist to S'pore

Chewing gum is no longer banned in Singapore but its sale is limited.

Generally, as long as you are law-abiding, Singapore is great. Spitting is an offence so don't spit in the street. It's an anti-social habit but it's sad that the only way to stop Singaporeans from spitting is to make it a fineable offence!

Taxis are all metered and the taxi drivers take the most direct route to your destination. Taxi drivers will tell you if they are deviating from the most direct route - usually because of traffic jams. Public transport - buses, MRT and taxis are fast, reliable, clean and safe.

Have a great time in Singapore.

Singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: move in checklist to S'pore

Hi Lisa, please don't get our friend 395 into trouble. NO CHEWING GUMs. Sale only with prescriptions proving you've got gum problem, etc. And no-spitting law is for healthier living. Oh com'on, Singapore and Malaysia and most of the asian countries to have the same spitting problem, so tell us yours. Please be nice OK.

Hi 395,

Singapore is a city country easy to fit in. Should easily find yourself comfortable settling in. Singapore like any other country in the world has her fair share of scam cases, especially with those here for studies. Be careful about the people arranging the lodging or courses for you, be it those in your country or those on my end. Best to deal with merchants direct and not through any middle man.

There's no difference between a tourist and a local. All things cost the same. Just do whatever you did during your previous visits and enjoy your stay. The only advantage if you stay longer, especially staying in a neighbourhood towns, you will get to know more about the different races and their unique cultures.

Laws are never complicated, just don't do things that are anti-social, like littering (fine$$), spitting(fine$$), vandalism(fine$$, jail and caned), jay walking (fine$$) etc. Don't bring in anything perishable, raw food, plants, own medication (unless with prescription), cigerettes (not more than 20sticks), etc. Please read more on our customs websites. Tough laws ensure safe environment for everyone. I love to go out at night to grab supper and felt perfectly safe.

Medical support is very good but pretty expensive. A consultation with no antibiotic should cost around S$20 in a neighbourhood clinic, more if in town. Pharmacies are everywhere with most drugs available for common symptons and cheaper. Rest assure no need to bring anything else from your homeland, unless prescribed of course.

Accommodation: Singapore is a very small country. Its not necessary to say where exactly is the best place to stay. You just need at most an hour to get from the most remote location like Woodlandsto to town. Price should be about S$300 -S$400, approximately US$200, per month to rent a room, cheaper if your willing to share. To get to town on public transport generally cost less than S$2 in total with transfers. Every neighbourhood town there will be a food centres, markets, parks, clinics, or even recreational/entertainment centres.

Nothing special to note when interacting with the local. Perhaps a few minor ones like never to touch an indian's head; be careful when handling food because muslims take only halal food; and only happen in neighbourhoods, never stare at anyone, as such rude and anti-social behavior is unacceptable and will normally ends with a fight. I think that's all.

If you need anything that is uniquely Philippines, try Lucky Plaza, our Little Philippines.

If you use computers (laptops) for your studies, you in luck. Free wireless highspeed internet surfing easily available at all Mcdonalds, Delifrance Cafe, or your own room in the neghbourhood you are staying when other users set their transmissions to unsecure mode.

We welcome you and please enjoy all that we have and find yourself at home.

Best regards.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
805 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: move in checklist to S'pore

I'm so jealous! Just returned from Singapore, and I have never felt so safe in South East Asia. I'd love to live there. It's a great country, yes, it's strict in its laws, but the result is a clean, courteous, SAFE place. Do not even think of having anything to do with drugs, the penalty is death, and fair enough I say. Singapore has pride in itself and justly so. Try the igougo website too, there are very good forums there, and the local resident I emailed was very helpful. (www.igugo.com). Best of luck!

dhaka, Bangladesh
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: move in checklist to S'pore

hye every one, i m very new to your forum, i was checking for weather of singapoer as i m going there for a short visit from Dhaka, Bangladesh. Well i will go to singapore alone on 12th januray at afternoon from malaysia and will stay for one day. As i m going there alone and i have never been there so i m quite afraid. So is there anyone to say something how could i make this one day a memorable in singapore, i would really like to know a good hotel not so expensive and places where should i go and if i got any friend to visit your beautiful country it would be just great for me.

pls inform me as i going out for malayisa tomorrow night.

dhaka, Bangladesh
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: move in checklist to S'pore

hye everyone, i m just writing to your forum, i m going to your country in this thurstday and will be there for two days as i have never been there and as a lonely traveller i would really like know about your country specials hotels not costly, places to visit and good shops for markething, more than that if i get someone to visit your contry it would be perfect for me.

i would be very happy if any one is there to help me.

pls reply soon.

azim

PHILIPPINES
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: move in checklist to S'pore

Hi Sincerely,

Quite an informative briefings you got there! Anyway, got abit curious about topic in looking for school and accommodation.

I had the chance to inquire on one of the prestigious private school and was amazed to be informed that on top of the registration fee, there is a so-called " student protection insurance fee " - an insurance supposedly to insure student's tuition fees should the school close down ( quite a substantial amount ) which the school collect from incoming students. Is this a normal practice for private school in Singapore?

The accommodation will be a tough search. I hope to find something in my 2 weeks of stay prior to school commencement.

What are fun things to do or places to visits on weekends for newcomers like us? Had made several visits on theme parks, think have quite enough of those.

Singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: move in checklist to S'pore

Hi Azim,

Sorry for the late reply. Hope you are still there. Don't really know what's your budget... but did a quick search on the hotel deals below SG$100, and the results...

1) Robertson Quay Hotel, please book online for SG$80++ with continental b/fast included. Pool. Great location with less 5mins walk to Clark Quay (one of our pub-bing area), 5mins walk to Chinatown and short walk away to train station and bus stops. pls visit : http://www.robertsonquayhotel.com.sg

2) The inn at temple street, a boutique hotel, online booking for only SG$78++ room only. Located in the heart of chinatown. Tel: (65) 6221-5333. Online booking not required for the rate. pls visit : http://www.theinn.com.sg

3) Or if our 'little india', Serangoon area is your choice, Madras Hotel (motel) is offering SG$60nett with b/fast. Tel : 6392 7889. Online booking not required for the rate.

pls visit : http://www.madrassingapore.com

These are the more proper ones. For more selections, pls visit yahoo, click on 'directory', key in 'Singapore lodging', click search, then select category ' Singapore >Lodging', then select category 'Hotels'.

I may be able to offer more info on how to get around the city from your hotel.

Things to do. For pay attractions, we have Zoo, Bird Park, Sentosa, lots of Museums, Water themepark, Science Center, Omni Theater, Japanese Garden, Chinese Garden, etc.

For cheaper alternative, join in for our national pastime: Window-shopping! Shopaholics can easily keep themselves busy for a few days at the Orchard Road. Start from Orchard Hotel and ends at Plaza Singapura.

Or try walking around the Marina area. Start from: City Hall Train station, visit the Raffles Hotel, then Raffle City for shopping, then follow The Link mall to Suntec City for shopping again, then walk through Marina Square to the Esplanade for splendid habour view, follow the Elizabeth walk to The Fullerton Hotel (Our old GPO), then to Funan Center (our cyber mall), then back to City Hall train station. Should end in 10hrs time.

Or for a more cultural tour, visti our Chinatown, Little India, Peranakan Place or Malay Village. Also visit one of our Chinese Temples or Indian Temples.

But if you have something specific to look for, let me know. Enjoy.

Best regards.

Singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: move in checklist to S'pore

Hi 395,

Sorry for the late reply. It sounded really weird that they're collecting the fees that you mentioned. Think you should try asking some other schools. Just which Insurance Agency would cover for a school that is about to closedown? Could it be for some other reasons that even the staffs don't even know what?

And as for accommodation part, 2 weeks is more than enough to find a place to stay. Our Classified Ads Section in our news paper are always full of ads of rooms to let. Just find somewhere affordable to stay first, then slowly adjust or continue to look for a better place thereafter, if necessary.

For weekends, locals mostly like to visit their own favourite place to eat, then shopping. Singaporean will travel from coast to coast just for food, their fave food. Some will go to East Coast Parkway for cycling, rollerblading, picnic, BBQs, short stay in a chalet, seafood, fishing or just to get away from the hectic city life. Some will visit nature reserved like Sungei Buloh, Labrador park, Bukit Timah Hill, etc. Those can afford to splurge will check into one of the fancy swanky hotels that offers weekend packages with spa or food. The tech savvy guys will shop for a day at either Sim Lim Square or Funan Centre.

My weekends: Have afternoon tea at Hyatt at S$25 with chocolate fountain and wide selection of tea; Or have breakfast early at Raffles Hotel's Empire Cafe and walk around the marina area to the Esplanade.

For sporty weekend, there will be a swimming pool and/or sports complex in your neighbourhood. Use them for a dollar or two.

Regards.