We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sentosa Island or downtown?

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Sentosa Island or downtown?

We plan to visit Singapore in February. ( 2 adults and 2 children 12/14 years) .Friends have recommended the Rasa Sentosa, on Sentosa Island. They tended to travel to town by taxi to eat/shop. We wondered if its a bit far from the action? We need a good swimming pool, and places to eat out at night. We want to see the usual tourist attractions, plus some relaxing by the pool !! We thought about the Shangri la in the city. Any advice ?

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sentosa Island or downtown?

oops- sorry to post this twice.....

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
597 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sentosa Island or downtown?

Personally, I'd advise you to take the Shangri La (just outside the shopping belt of Orchard Road). It has an excellent pool and even better rooms and service. Most foreign dignitaries stay here, also because it is partly secluded. Them kids will love the pool and "garden" area...

The hotel has a free shuttle to bring you to the center of Orchard Road (aka Oxford Street, London).

Otherwise, it is a 10 min walk to the edge of Orchard Road.

And since the zoo, bird park, Marina area, old city area (Raffles City) all require a taxi ride (regardless of whether from Sentosa or ShangriLa), then it won't make much difference.

The only thing you would forgo would be the beach. Rasa and surroundings have a wonderful wonderful beach.

But as many others have mentioned, the island is a bit of a jail.

I'd suggest you take a taxi into Sentosa for the day, see all the attractions (e.g. Underwater World) and then go to the public beach (where there are showers and a food court) and leave Sentosa after the Musical Fountain show.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,305 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sentosa Island or downtown?

Totally agree with Alexiusp. Spend a night at the Rasa Sentosa if you can't get it out of your mind - but 2 days in Sentosa is way more than sufficient.

Also the Shangri-La in Singapore is a must. Afterall it's the flagship property of the Shangri-La group. Experience for yourself what all the oohs and the aahs are about.

Have fun holidaying!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,610 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sentosa Island or downtown?

For your teenagers, it might be better to be in the city simply coz of easy convenience to other attractions and accessiblity to public transport. Sentosa is good for a whole day and that is enough as it is a tiny island. Mind you, the beach is not what most people imagine it to be, afterall, Singapore is one of the busiest port in the world ! It doesnt really have a nice beach to hang out (most will head towards Bintan which only a 45 mins ferry ride away or head to Malaysian coasts - 2 hours drive and up).

Shangri la is a very nice hotel and the location is good esp. if you like to be a little away from the crowd. Good service and food helps :)

Depending on your budget, we can all recommend some other hotels. For families, I also like Goodwood Park (right on Scotts Road, 5 mins or less to Orchard), Intercontinental Hotel and the Regent. These are more reasonable in prices, my favorite is still the Four Seasons ! Good luck !

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sentosa Island or downtown?

Wow- thanks everyone for your excellent advice. I think that we may stay downtown rather than Sentosa. Cant wait to go. !!

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sentosa Island or downtown?

Following your excellent advice we will not stay at Rasa Sentosa- so is my choice if the Shangrila a good one ( should it be the Oriental ? or somewhere else? ) It sounds trivial but a nice pool is very important to keep the teenagers happy!! Any thoughts ?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
597 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sentosa Island or downtown?

I am assuming that you are not too concerned about costs, because the Shangri La is almost as expensive as the grand ole Raffles Hotel and the 6star (I don't believe it too...) Ritz.

The quote you might have gotten for Rasa Sentosa will NOT apply for the Orchard Road Shangri La...unless you got a magical deal.

Anyway, as I said earlier, the Shangri La has a free form pool (not square), fountains and is landscaped in a tropical garden.

Them kids will love it.

compared to any other town hotel, NO CONTEST!!!

Please go to the shangri La website for pics of the pool.

And please report back after your trip. We'd love to hear from you.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,305 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sentosa Island or downtown?

Absolutely!! Hands up in total agreement with Alexiusp!

Here we go again JonesAD ... the Shangri-La once more ;)