We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP on hotel!

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
HELP on hotel!

I will be staying in Singapore from October 28-30 this year after a 6-night stay in Bali. It's my second trip to Singapore. I stayed at the Swissotel Stamford on my first trip using the Stopover Package. I must admit I was a bit disappointed because the room seemed a bit old and worn out. Maybe it's also because it was a smoking room. The view uptop was great, though.

My first pick for this trip is the Gallery Hotel. Seems quite funky and unique and fit for a 2-night trip since I'm sure I'll be out on the streets more than I will be inside the hotel.

Then I also came to consider the Ritz for its fabulous Marina views. I've never stayed there, so I figured it might be worth the money.. even just for the bathroom view. Anyone know what the difference between the MArina Bay and the Deluxe Marina Bay is? Do all the rooms have a bathroom tub overlooking the marina?

What other hotels would you recommend? I'm not looking for $300-400 hotels, but more like between $200 and $300. max. The interior, decor isn't that much important. I'm looking for more of a special experience like the marina bay view. I don't know much about the other hotels. Can anyone help me out?

I also don't have a specific area I want to stay in as long as it's not too out of the way. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP on hotel!

By the way, the overall facility of the hotel isn't so much important as the room itself. I've always felt that I never use much of the overall facility including the gym, sauna, restaurant, etc. I think it would be more so in a city like Singapore where there's great food and lots of places to hang out nearby. The Shangri-La looks nice and has nice reviews. Does it have great views like the Ritz? I'm looking for a unique 'room' view or experience since it would be very nice to return to a room with a great view after a tired day of sightseeing or walking around the city. Where would you go? The Ritz? The Gallery? or The Shangri-La?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP on hotel!

If you're looking for that unique experience, then Gallery Hotel would probably be your best bet. It's totally avant-garde and it's roof-top pool is one of its kind - very interesting.

The other hotel i'd recommend is the Scarlet Hotel. It's quite a newly established boutique hotel with impressive suites. Check out their photo gallery at www.thescarlet.com. You'd be awed ...

Frankly I didn't know there was a Deluxe Marina Bay area. Maybe it's a term coined by the Ritz-Carlton to differentiate between its rooms? Consider the Oriental as well - newly refurbished and according to de_last_one, it's absolutely fantastic. Check out the Fullerton Hotel if you have the time too ... offers a different kind of a night view. Perhaps not as "wow" as the Ritz-Carlton but pleasant enough.

I wouldn't say that the Shangri-La has very much of a view to speak of. In fact it's nicely nestled in a quite residential area off Orchard. The reason it gets rave reviews is because it is almost like a resort in itself - totally romantic etc. Depends on what your priorities are, I'm sure you'd be able to find that perfect hotel.

Cheers ...

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP on hotel!

For an excellent view and a nice 5* hotel, yes I would definitely recommend Oriental as Checkers had already mentioned. The hotel group that it belongs to is top notched and its hotels are known for quality and service. Definitely your best bet for a view (and the view has a blend of a lit-up city and seaview - very pretty combination). This hotel is comparable with the Ritz.

Ritz used to be an excellent hotel when it first opened and for a few years after that. Nowadays, for the price you are paying, it is over-rated (prices have steadily been going up as well). The difference in the rooms (deluxe marina view v marina view) is the size of the rooms (though my deluxe rooms were always on a higher floor) and yes, all the marina view rooms I had been in have a tub that overlooks the water. The view of this hotel angel is not as pretty as that from the Oriental as this angle show mainly the marina (and marina south area).

As for Fullerton, another nice hotel, rooms are as you would expect from a luxury property, all feel nice and new. But the suites are excellent, two levels (bedroom upstairs with private bath, lower level has a sitting area with sofas and a half bath, nicely decorated in warm beige and white colors ). It is spacious. The highlight of this hotel is its history (building). The restaurants are good (but for SIN standard, it is pricey) and location isnt bad (close to Boat Quay and Singapore River).

For your situation (after a trip from Bali), I figure a swanky, chic and newly reopened hotel with a nice spa is a good choice and the view is a bonus !!! To top it off, the location is another plus, close to tons of shopping and dining. It is also pretty much a walking area so dont worry about getting around. Lots of walkways, underground tunnels with shops etc.

Good Luck.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP on hotel!

Oceanspray,

Have you been to a minimalist hotel before ? Tons around nowadays esp. in Europe and the Gallery Hotel in SIN is like it.

Usually the rooms are not very large but everything you find in it are very modern and Hi-Tec. Glass (washbasins) and metal (fixtures) are the usual as well as plastic (trash bins or lights).

Have yet to see Gallery for myself, the reviews are pretty good for this hotel so it is worth a try I think.

I had recommended the Oriental mainly 'coz besides a trip from Bali, you are from Seoul so a view of the water with colorful lights from the city seems like a nice touch before returning to the sprawling and busy city of Seoul. Boy, do I miss a good gal-bi and kim chi !!! In this summer weather, a bim bi ba isnt a bad idea !!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP on hotel!

sorry I had forgotten to mentioned that in a marina room at the Ritz, you get a view from your room as well, not limited to the bathroom alone.

The beds are raised quite high so when you wake up in the morning, open the blinds and you will find yourself staring at the view from your bed.

Swissotel has quite a number of people disappointed after their stay, the hotel needs a make over like all the hotels near it. Though even the Raffles Plaza (renovated) is a little disappointing for being a brandname and for a 5* property. They are raising their prices, not due to their service or quality, it is the location. It is definitely a prime spot.

Anyway, good luck with your next stay, dont forget your feedback after the trip ! Have a wonderful vacation

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP on hotel!

de_last_one and checkers...

I can't thank you two enough for the detailed reply you offered, esp. de_last_one. I know how it can be frustrating for you to comment on similar topics, such as hotel. I've read through the ones posted.

No, I can't say I've been to a minimalist style hotel. I did check out the Scarlett, too, but see it has some negative reviews re: service? I guess you can't always trust feedback, but since it's my first time in either of the two, I figured I'd take the safe way out and pick The Gallery over The Scarlett.

I guess The Gallery, The Ritz and The Oriental are my final choices..(haha, still 3). I have read reviews that the Ritz is being overrated these days, esp for its price, but I just can't seem to get over the wonderful photos they have of the marina. I will definitely check out the Oriental and see what they have to offer. From de_last_one's reply, it seems like The Oriental has it all! ^^

I was originally going to go with the Gallery since it's reasonably priced and quite funky and unique. But I couldn't get the marina view out of my head, so started looking again.

de_last_one..so you've been to Seoul? I actually live a little down south in Anyang. Of course Seoul is pretty close by, so I don't really consider it a separate city or anything. Yes, I'd love to experience a wonderful view since I don't get it here at my apartment.

Finalizing on my travel options is always hard.. It took me weeks to choose a hotel in Bali and now this. :)

By the way, I was originally considering staying at the Sentoa Resort and Spa because I'd never been to Sentosa. I have a day and a half.. But I liked the Gallery and the Ritz, so figured I could just rest the first evening and then head over to Sentosa early the next morning and come back out late afternoon. Does that sound plausible?

Sorry for the such long post. thanks again you two!

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP on hotel!

BTW, The Fullerton 2-level suite sounds lovely. Can't imagine how much it would cost to have a 2-level suite at a nice hotel like that. Will at least check it out. :)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP on hotel!

Seoul is a very busy city and unfortunately never been there as a tourist. Love the food :) From what I had remembered, yes, everyone lives in apartment which is why I had recommended Oriental (and pricing at S$205, it is DEFINITELY worth it), you can book this from this website. It does include all taxes and usually breakfast:

http://www.asiabesthotel.com/HotelsSearch.php

For that price, it is almost unbeatable in terms of location, view and type of hotel.

As for Sentosa, your plan sounds good. Have a good time !

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP on hotel!

PS. forgot to tell you about the other hotel : Grand Copthorne Waterfront. For what you pay, it is a good deal. The view is not like the Oriental or the Ritz but you do get a closer look at the Singapore River area. It (the view) is still not bad for a water front property. You can take their ferry service to the Quay (quite a fun ride and the cool night breeze really makes you feel like you are on an island).

Just another option. Not in the same class as the Oriental or Ritz but if you dont want to stay at the Gallery and dont want to pay too much, this is a good alternative.

Still would recommend the Oriental :)

Swindon, Wilts, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP on hotel!

Oceanspray

My wife and I stayed at the Oriental a couple years ago absolutely fabulous with a deluxe marina view.

The room was a fair size, huge bed with marbled bathroom separate shower and bath tub, great view of the marina.

I understand that the hotel has now had a refurb' which one only can imagine what it is like now.

Try and get a club room on the top two floors, it might be slightly outside your budget, if not you cannot go wrong with the deluxe marina view!