We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trying to decide between Bangkok and Singapore

new york
Level Contributor
23 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
trying to decide between Bangkok and Singapore

trying to check if my budget for Bangkok & Singapore should be more or less the same ?

- me & wife interested in food...so, both sounds good

- bangkok meal prices in a moderately priced restaurant is about $30 for a couple including beer...what is it like in Singapore ?

- my 12 year old son can buy video games in Bangkok for $5...spend an hour in a video-game arcade for $3...what is it like in Singapore ?

Thanks in advance.

Sandy

Eastern Shore of...
Level Contributor
781 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trying to decide between Bangkok and Singapore

$30 for meal in Bangkok is pretty expensive for food. In Singapore, outside the fabulous hawker markets, it would be the average.

Singapore is quite a bit more expensive, in general, than Bangkok. The taxes make it so. Beers are very expensive, but great if you like English varieties. Bangkok has better bargain shopping if you like the open air type Asian markets. If you want a pristine, mega-shopping venue, then Singapore is more on your agenda.

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: trying to decide between Bangkok and Singapore

Sandy,

Simple answer.........Bangkok is cheaper for just about everything!

Singapore has "cleaned up" all the copy stuff whereas it's everywhere in Bangkok but Singapore has more up market malls with upmarket prices. Food is a bit cheaper in Bangkok but beer/drink is much cheaper.

We've been to Bangkok over a dozen times in the last 10 years and Singapore twice(third time this Christmas)

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,376 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trying to decide between Bangkok and Singapore

If pricing is the factor then its Bangkok. Even the Hotel accommodation is a lot cheaper (much cheaper than India).

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trying to decide between Bangkok and Singapore

hi sandy,

if you eat at food courts in Singapore then food are cheap (and good!).

The main difference would be accomodation: more expensive in Singapore than Bangkok for the same quality.

you may find a good mid-range hotel for 60 USD in Bangkok.

It would be a budget hotel in Singapore.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
730 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trying to decide between Bangkok and Singapore

i guess everything at bangkok is cheap. thats why singaporeans like to go there to buy things etc.

food wise, variety is quite different in my opinion.

if u are coming now, u will see christmas decoration along orchard road. i am not sure abt bangkok.

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: trying to decide between Bangkok and Singapore

Last Christmas Bangkok had amazing decorations considering it's not mainly a Christian country,We're coming to Singapore this time so will be able to compare.

7. Re: trying to decide between Bangkok and Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, September 13, 2009