We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Sands Resort (Downtown East) information needed please

Wodonga, Australia
Level Contributor
252 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Sands Resort (Downtown East) information needed please

I have been lokoing at this resort to stay in for a night or 2 when we stopover early 2008. There don't seem to be any recent reviews I can find. Can anyone let me know their experiences at this resort and what the rooms are like. The other option we are considering is Grand Mercure Roxy. The attraction is that it is close to the airport and near the beach as well as the price.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Sands Resort (Downtown East) information needed please

Hi. I have not stayed at any of these (live in Singas). I am unsure if you have been here before, but I think you should not have any illusions about a "Beach Resort" here - especially Downtown East.

The closest to a beach scene here would be Sentosa, but as an Aussie it may not live up to your standards.

Some good news - Singapore is small, so most hotels are pretty close to the airport really. Also, "beach" and coast areas are also very close to wherever you stay. In fact, you can easily reach Sentosa via the MRT here.

Wodonga, Australia
Level Contributor
252 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Sands Resort (Downtown East) information needed please

Thanks BanaPona,

If most Hotels are fairly close to airport our other choice is Novotel Clarke Quay.Our flight arrives late evening. Would it be too far to travel here? We didn't want to be travelling too far after a long flight?

You information is very helpful.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Sands Resort (Downtown East) information needed please

Hi Sunny;

I don't know that hotel, but I think the Quay area is much more interesting and near more uniquely Singaporean stuff.

You should be at your hotel from the airport in about 15-20 minutes.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Sands Resort (Downtown East) information needed please

Its not a problem travelling from airport to hotel anwhere in SG. would a travelling time of save 20min at most especially during the late night is a haasle for you?

Downtowm East is more like a holiday chalet and many local book for BBQ nigth out. Comes with compliementary (depending on package to season) entry to Escape Theme park (mini roller coaster, fun park ) and Wild WIld Wet, water park - things like wave pool, cycle ride, slides ride, etc..

Things are basic with fridge and TV, some with Xbox console.... more to soap up the local style of having night out.. There is no breakfast included, but no problem with food as iits more like a self contain type of resort... also open to public...

Novotel will be a good place. depending on what time you arrive, don't be surprise you still find people hanging out there.... especially over the weekkends.. as this place is promoted by the SG Promotion Board udner the Uniquely SG 52wks promotion plan..... as reported, several weeks ago, it can pull in a crowd of 25k people.

Singapore
Level Contributor
137 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Sands Resort (Downtown East) information needed please

I've stayed at the resort many times - it's mostly for locals to hold barbeques and just have a relaxed weekend away from home, not so much for foreigners.

The resort is not so near the beach (you have to walk quite a distance) and anyway if you intend to stay near a beach, I recommend Sentosa. The beach is much better there than the beach at Costa Sands.

The resort is also far (in local terms!) from Orchard - about 30 minutes by taxi. Honestly speaking, I don't think it's worth your money to stay here. Nights will be so noisy with locals celebrating birthdays and whatnots, you won't be able to rest well.

The resort pool is also not that great, as they probably want to push you to buy tickets to the better pool at Wild Wild Wet.

I recommend Grand Mercure Roxy - although that is at East Coast, and still quite a distance from the main shopping area.

Are you looking for a beach hotel / resort? Sentosa is your best bet, although it's more expensive than the hotels on mainland.

-Noshi.

Wodonga, Australia
Level Contributor
252 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Sands Resort (Downtown East) information needed please

Thanks for all the great reply's. We are not so much into shopping or large crowds. If staying at Mercure Roxy, what are the attractions close by that we would have access to. It is only a stop over for a few days on way to Thailand but would like to see a bit of Singapore and have a view from our Hotel room. I think I will chose either Roxy or Novotel Clarke Quay. What do you suggest?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa Sands Resort (Downtown East) information needed please

Sunny58,

Go for Novotel Clarke Quay.... it's way better than Grand Mecure Roxy.

Like other posts have mentioned, Singapore is really small. It only takes 30mins (about S$20) by taxi to get from Novotel Clarke to the Airport. The location of Novotel Clarke Quay is great. It's by the Singapore River in the city and lots of restaurants around the area.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costa Sands Resort (Downtown East) information needed please

Novotel.....

The view is definitely much better here, on top of the that, you still have the night scene when Clark Quay comes to live... don't worry, request for room with view facing the SG river... Besides, they have schedule shuttle buses moving around the various common places...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costa Sands Resort (Downtown East) information needed please

Definitely not @ the coastal sands...... This are some houses meant for the locals..... the location is too far from trying to do anything in Singapore.... Novotel would be the best chioce for, but if budget is a big concern, you can also check out Summer View, Dickson Court, New Park.... All the 3 hotels mentioned have good location & walkable distances to the train station. I am not too sure about the amentities..... Hope it helps

10. Re: Costa Sands Resort (Downtown East) information needed please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 09, 2009