We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore with teen+Wedding Anniversary dinner

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore with teen+Wedding Anniversary dinner

Hi,

We are stopping over on Wednesday 8th August for 3 nights on our way from Melbourne to the UK. We will be staying at Swissotel the Stamford, landing at 9.05pm, and departing at 11.15pm on the Saturday. We will have a 14yr old son with us.

Perhaps someone can help me with a few questions.

Any idea what time we are likely to get to the hotel, and where should we go within the hotel or close by to have a drink and feel as if our first night is more than just a bed in a hotel room? What is the cheapest (and most expensive) thing to drink - and how expensive are soft drinks for our son?

Our wedding anniversary is on 9th August (22 amazing years!) and we are considering Equinox Restaurant for a special meal, however the hotel informs us that there is a special set menu at $218 per person plus an extra $30 each for a window seat. This includes 2 alcoholic drinks (a la carte - a possibility for our son - is only available in the main body of the restaurant.). Does anyone know if this is worth it (we are prepared to pay if it is likely to be fantastic) or can anyone suggest any other Restaurants in the hotel or elsewhere, or perhaps something with added value like the Restaurant Tram is in Melbourne because you get a tour of the city too? Any other recommendations for the other 2 evenings - perhaps Little India or China Town or somewhere close to Swissotel the Stamford?

We'd also appreciate ideas for places to visit which our 14yr old son will enjoy - we'll have almost 3 full days with the late flight onwards. I'd like to include a visit to Changi as my uncle was a p.o.w there, and my mum always wanted to visit, but at nearly 80yrs old that's impossible now. Can anyone recommend the best company that does this trip, and any suggestions for other places to combine with this during the day.

We'll give Sentosa Island a miss, as we visited it on a similar stopover 7 years ago.

Thanks to anyone who can help - we are so excited to be visiting beautiful Singapore for a second time.

Indie Singapore
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
Let's Go Bike Singapore
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours
Monster Day Tours
Walking Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Singapore Urban Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,655 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore with teen+Wedding Anniversary dinner

Hey Blue steel (BS as a short cut did'nt seem to work - LOL)

You should be at your hotle by about 10.30 - 11..00

can't help on where to go in that area, but soft drinks are cheap- about S$1.00 for a coke.

Tiger beer bottle (about a pint) wil start at S$5.00 and go up - depending on where you drink.

Wine and spirits are expensive compared to Oz & Uk. (esp from a 'bottle shop')

Dinner - can't say if it is worth it - but if I change that to £££ then I would have to say VERY expensive even by UK standards.

What about East Coast Sea Food - it's great - my 15 yo son loved it. Do a search on here and get a feel for what people say. 3 of us pigged out including wine & beer for S$208.00

As to trips - easy way is to get a taxi and not bother with a tour company. Out to Changi would cost about s$12 - 15 each way plus wait time.

Your son... welllllll, I 'stiched' mine up.

We went to Sentosa to Under water World (used the cable car during a thunder storm). After the walk around looking at fish etc we were 'waiting' for the rain to stop before we left. Teegage boys do'nt DO waiting very well. After 5 minutes we started to sing 'happy birthday' - much to his confusion. We then told him that he was to go swimming with the sharks at 5.00pm. It was a late birthday prezzie.

He was 'gob smacked' by the experience. It talekd non stop for 2 hours about it. Your son would love it - esp. if it is a suprise.

You can book and pay online which helps to keep the secret.

The rest of Sentosa is ........ not our 'cup of tea'

Singapore Zoo is also great - even for teeage boys.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore with teen+Wedding Anniversary dinner

not a good day to have a dinner at the equinox because it happens to be singapore's national day, and the parade + fireworks show can be seen clearly from the equinox, so i think it would be fully booked by now.

sentosa has changed quite a lot from 7 years ago...it might be a good time to visit it again..

what are you actually looking to get out of your trip? shopping? cultural discovery? foodie trip?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore with teen+Wedding Anniversary dinner

Thanks so much Esorlegin and Archenemy for your prompt replies.

I love the idea about swimming with the sharks as my son has always been a keen swimmer. Is there any danger involved (not that I'm an overprotective mum or anything!!)?

Seems we might find it difficult to find a nice place place for Dinner on 9th, but I will look up the Seafood Place you mentioned, Archenemy.

Any recommendations for China Town or Little India?

Daytime, I think we are just looking to do something different to our normal everyday activiities, so we are probably pretty open to any ideas for activities - though our son is very much into computer and x-box, so a bit of 'technology' shopping might go down well.

We have my neice's wedding to attend in the UK and I haven't found a summer dress yet (winter here in Oz) so I might like to do some specific clothes shopping - plus, what are the chances of having something made in Singapore? Is it like Bangkok where they can whip something up for you? Not that I'd want to add to the 'sweat shop' trade if there is such a thing!

Has anyone ever tried the Dinner at the night safari?

Or perhaps a great River Cruise Dinner? Do I sound a bit desperate now? Maybe we should just go with the flow. I really need to find a good site to look up these type of activities - any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore with teen+Wedding Anniversary dinner

Sorry, esorlegin - it was you who mentioned the Seafood place - wish we could see the rest of the posts when we reply!

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,655 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore with teen+Wedding Anniversary dinner

Hey

Sharks - a minimal risk - but not from the fishes. No more dangerous than crossing the road.

They give good instruction and u'r son would be accompanied by his trainer.

Clothing - yes, it is possible to get things made up. Do a search on TA for tailors/dressmakers. Also for clothes shops.

electronics - sometimes cheaper in the UK than is SIN. Don't know about Oz prices.

Have a look at these UK sites to get a feel for prices www.amazon.co.uk or www.Argos.co.uk - both have low prices.

I did buy some games for my nephew at 'Mustafa' near little India - about 1/3 cheaper than the UK.

China Town - try Maxwell Road food Court for a great dining experience - don't expect anything but plastic chairs etc...BUT, the food is great. Your son will love this place - feed him up for a few bucks.

For food & Restaurants do a search on here - lots of posts.

6. Re: Singapore with teen+Wedding Anniversary dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 06, 2009