We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Prix 2018

Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Prix 2018

Hi, my gf and I have just booked a last minute holiday and as luck would have it we are in Singapore for the GP. Being armchair fans usually which tickets would you reccomend?

11 replies to this topic
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,228 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Prix 2018

Have a look at the F1 thread under ‘Top Question’ on the right of the screen on the main Singapore forum page.

Singapore
Level Contributor
466 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Prix 2018

Depends on your budget and how much of the GP you actually want to see.

Singapore GP is unique as is Monaco as it's all about the atmosphere off the circuit as well as on. You'll never be so close to a GP car at full pelt.

Check out what acts are on too and if there's a particular act you want to see plan around that.

Practice days and qualifying are less crowded and gives you a better chance to get some good photos.

Have you ever been to a GP before? That could also influence if you want to take it easy or go hardcore e.g grandstand vs walkabout

Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Prix 2018

Thanks for the reply’s, we haven’t been to a gp before and trying to stick to a budget so zone 1 seats are out of the question, just trying to get a feel if it’s worth spending more to go to Stamford, Empress or Esplanade stands over the Bay. Understand the scenic view from the Bay is great but not sure about the actual view for the race ...

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,228 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Prix 2018

If it’s the Bay View you like, I would go for the Esplande Grandstand rather than Bay Grandstand. Much better view of the cars. Go for a seat closer to the Bay to allow you to see down the straight. A lower row like 10, so you are under the footbridge over the track or that spoils your view of T16.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294…

Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Prix 2018

Mankster, thanks for your replies. I had read your in depth report previously and have based my research on it, just stuck between the bay side or Stamford really... from a racing point of view which would offer better seats?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,228 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Prix 2018

T7 is the main overtaking spot. From Stamford you can see the start of the overtake on the big screen and then see completion as the cars come around T7. It’s a short straight in front of Stamford so the cars are not in view for very long. This is pretty much the problem in all Street circuits.

Esplande gives a longer views of the cars, also from close quarters when they are not travelling too fast, but little chance of racing action.

Part of the going to a Grand Prix at a Street circuit is taking in the Atmosphere and and back drop and sights that make the GP ( as sightlines of the track are never gong to be good)). So I would probably pick the Esplande for the overall experience and Stamford for the racing if going for Zone 4.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
320 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Prix 2018

Hi Mankster, we have booked seats in the Connaught grandstand, hoping we can catch some overtaking action into turn 14. Is this a good choice?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,228 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Prix 2018

Seems to be the spot at the end of the race when some cars are running out of tires.

Edited: 3:05 pm, August 18, 2018
Cardiff
Level Contributor
320 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Prix 2018

Thx Mankster, looking forward to some good racing.

We will be staying in The Orchard Hotel, is that far from the Track - not sure about distances on the maps! What is the easiest way to get to the track and in particular our grandstand at Connaught?

Do you have some must try place to eat as I am a big foodie and love Asian cuisine. Suggestions for breakfast, lunch and dinner are welcome.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,228 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Prix 2018

Walk to Orchard MRT and then it’s 3 stops to City Hall.Your gate is right outside the station. Take the escalators up. Or it’s about 40min by foot.

Within the circuit, the Glutton Bay Food Centre is where you want to go. The food courts at the Raffles City Mall and Marina Sqaure Mall are also easy to get to from within the circuit in between track sessions. The food concessions set up within the circuit are predictably much more expensive and not as tasty ( but still amongst the best food I have had at Grand Prixs)

The food court in malls sell Hawker food from individual stalls, ( not fast food) plenty to choose from in Orchard Road. Lau Pa Sat food centre is an easy walk after the Grand Prix, and is open till the small hours including Satay outdoors.

Reply to: Grand Prix 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted