We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer time Changi airport

Sweden
Level Contributor
48 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer time Changi airport

Hello,

I have read some posts about it, but since they recently opened a new terminal and I don't understand the different transfer rules depending on airline, I'm asking.

We are looking at a flight that would give us 1 hour 15 min to transit. We land in terminal 3, and have the connecting flight at terminal 4. We will only have cabing bags, but our flights won't be booked in the same booking as one is with Qatar and one with Air asia. Is this time enough?

Jon

10 replies to this topic
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer time Changi airport

It would be very risky. You would have to do an online check in to be able to make it, but to do a web check in for international flights you cannot need a visa for your destination. Otherwise you need to get your documents checked at the check in counters before you can go to the gate.

Even if you can use the web check in so you already have your next boarding passes at hand, from T3 you need to get the skytrain to T2, then board a bus to T4. Even though this process is pretty smooth, I don't think you have enough time for that.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,356 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer time Changi airport

The gap is probably not enough.

On separate tickets, you will need to clear Immigration, take the SkyTrain to T2 then take the shuttle bus go to T4 to check in at Air Asia counter. The shuttle bus frequency is 10/20mins depending on the time and the journey takes 10mins. I would allow 30 minutes at least to deplane and get through Immigration.

Edited: 9:06 am, June 11, 2018
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,356 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer time Changi airport

What is your nationality?

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,299 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer time Changi airport

hi Jon E

This is unprotected connection to a budget carrier. Its not doable with 1.15, sorry.

Sweden
Level Contributor
48 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer time Changi airport

Thanks everyone for replying.

We are Swedish, so we don't need any visa to our final destination, Bali. I don't understand why we would need to clear immigration, we are not staying in Singapore and we don't have any bags. With an online check-in we will have boarding passes.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,299 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer time Changi airport

<<. I don't understand why we would need to clear immigration, we are not staying in Singapore >>

AA is budget carrier and in this case you go through passport control in order to connect to them landside.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Sweden
Level Contributor
48 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer time Changi airport

Okey, I have only done that when connecting to a domestic flight before. It must be specific Singapore rules. But then I guess we won't risk this transit, if we need to clear immigration I agree it won't be enough time.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,299 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer time Changi airport

YES, and AA will close the landside check-in 45 min prior to departure ( 60 min for passengers with luggage).

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer time Changi airport

This isn't s specific Singapore rule by the way. In every airport, if you are connecting to a carrier that does not codeshare with your first flight, you will have to go through immigration and check in at the airline counter again. Even with online checkin, you still have to go to the checkin counter for passport verification. The only exception to this rule is if your connecting flight is a full service carrier and has a transfer counter at the airside of the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,057 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer time Changi airport

Sorry Teebs, but that isnt true that the rule you cite is true at every airport.You can connect like this without bags in UK airports (as the OP notes they had no hold luggage) and lot of Europe does this as well and no that isnt because of Schengen agreements, Document checks get done by some airlines at the gate for boarding and in those case you can do as the OP planned. There is no rule no this, each airport and airline sets things up based on local rules and how they want to operate. There are a few common formats but none that are the general rule.

Jon E, I think you have made assumptions that the way some European airports and airlines operate that that is how the general rules work. The way Singapore does operate is common around the world, its just not how a lot of European airline operators work, so this is not merely a Singapore thing. The majority of budget airlines dont pay to have an airside presence or airside trasnsfer operations and so without bags you have to do the whole immigration thing.

By the way, the transfer was utterly unsafe even if you could have stayed airside, you have done the classic process which is set up the gap based on the length of the transfer process and therefore make the immediate assumption that none of the other things that can go wrong were going to, you need to make the transfer safe by leaving a gap large enough to cover a variety of other issues incouding reachduling of the flights between now and flying, delays on the day both in the air and on the ground - a four hour delay for a plane going tech is not unreasonable and a budget line wont have spares to use and the one hour and fifteen minutes you planned simply doesnt handle any of those even if you could do an airside transfer.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Reply to: Transfer time Changi airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted