We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Singapore

Boston
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Singapore

My husband is in Singapore for 10 days on business. Of course, I would like him to bring home a few "trinkets". Can anyone give me an idea of what I should be having him look for? I know he was at a high end mall last night, though he didn't shop. I'm sure the Polo store there is more expensive then here. Any tips would be appreciated! Otherwise my daughter and I will end up with SIngapore Tshirts!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Singapore

U got to get him to shop around Chinatown for the beautiful jeweled handbags or evening bags !!!

If not try :

store.museumshop.com.sg/default.php…

for your daughter, the incense (for the room) ?

I absolutely adore the peranakan stuff eg. teapot, powder jar (i used them in the bathrooms as cotton ball and Q-tip holders)

Quite a few other stuff to look for at the musuem shop or :

can.com.sg/neocan/…passion_for_peranakan.html

Note : peranakan jewelry is a unique blend of Malay and Chinese design and influenced by the Dutch or Portuguese

Or :

RISIS Orchid & Peranakan Collections

The Orchid, Singapore's national flower, has been lovingly handcrafted to produce the Risis orchid. These are real orchids, dipped in 22K gold and made into pins, earrings and pendants. Besides this collection, also choose from the wide selection of the Peranakan collection, which range from ornate sets of brooches to unique name cardholders with designs inspired by the Peranakan culture, which is a fusion of Chinese, Malay and European influences. Its range of merchandise is available at Suntec City Mall and National Orchid Garden.

or :

Unique Cutlery

A unique combination at Doc Cheng's (at Raffles Hotel) is a pair of chopsticks cleverly inserted into a bowl. You'll also find coconut utensil from perforated skimmers to big stir-fry spoons.

or :

Singapore Sling Products

The famous Singapore Sling has been captured on coasters, T-shirts and posters at the Raffles Hotel Museum Shop. There are also lots of other Raffles Hotel souvenirs such as fridge magnets, key chains and reproduction of luggage stickers from the 1960s.

Not so much Singaporean but since SIN has a huge chinese population, there is a bit more Chinese culture around :

Chinese Operatic Items

What about something totally different - Chinese operatic items? As the main supplier of operatic items, Eng Tiang Huat (at River Valley Road) is the place to visit if you want a gift that is different. Merchandise available range from hats to ladies' embroidered vests and from bamboo flutes to Chinese fiddles (Erhu).

Good Luck !

Boston
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Singapore

Thanks for the great ideas! I will be sure to forward this on to him.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Singapore

There are also some books about SIN and novels etc. Btw, just got myself another book and this is the best one about SIN (historical novel) I had come across so far if u like to read - The Singapore Grip. I cant put the book down !!!

Boston
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Singapore

Hey, De Last One,

1)Took your advice, staying at Grand Hyatt… very nice indeed!

2)Had dinner last night at Raffles Steakhouse…very good, I needed a good steak.

3)Quit giving my wife those expensive ideas (just kidding).

4)Can I get some good T shirts at the airport on the way home? (not much of a shopper here).

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Singapore

lol, Bos5, so nilnod is your wife ? if only I had known I will give her addresses of the local designers esp. the one I love - Allan Chai !

Glad u like grand hyatt, it is definitely way better than Marriott (my company or rather ex coz I no longer work, cant even make me stay at marriott anymore). Raffles Grill does a good job with steak even for a bostonian standard :)

Now, dont forget to give Mezza9 a go coz it is one of my favorite restaurant in SIN.

As for Tees, u can easily grab some at the SIN store that sells local stuff and souvenirs but dont expect the nicer stuff, just the usual ones u can find in Chinatown but for souvenirs (secretaries, receptionists, etc) they make good :)

Since u r not a big shopper, across the street from your hotel is the biggest in town DFS so grab a couple of christian dior lipstick for wife or a gucci bag :)

But seriously, u r not far from the museum, there is a good place to go for a look around as well as shop. Will u be in town for the weekend ? I assumed so since it is a 10 day trip so check out Chinatown for a good meal and buy something for wife. One shop I do enjoy browsing and always end up buying something is right there by the Hindu Temple (worth a look and photo op). The moment u walk out of the temple, walk less than 50 steps and u r at this shop that has Chinese antiques and reproduction stuff. But they carry very pretty evening hand sewn beaded bags (that cost US$250 at least in the city !!!) that I am sure your wife and daughter will love and they cost only US$26 each. They also carry silk scarf that is worth buying and who knows, something for your library !

I will be in SIN next week and this time I am going to grab one of his business card so I can finally name names lol !

Well, good luck !

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Singapore

We have just returned from Singapore with our 19 year old daughter and although there are shops everywhere the sizing is difficult as they really make for small frame slim people. Plus prices are really not any cheaper. (compared to Australia)

However, we did think the shoes and bags were lovely and cheaper in fact at Terminal two there is a good bag and shoe shop Charles & Keith quite cheap. Plus there is always duty free perfume.

Some of the gold Singapore orchids in brooches or on a necklace are lovely but not for the young.

Raffles has lots of lovely shops but very expensive - however there maybe a nice make up purse or mobile phone holders were nice and not too pricey.

Good luck.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Singapore

Bos,

forgot to say, if u r into prints and antique maps or any other wall art, SIN has a fantastic store (even London and NYC cant compare in prices or choices !) that is always a must whenever my spouse or I visit SIN. They carry a good range of Thomas Allom's prints that I was hunting all over London for and of all places, find more here than anywhere else ! Of course I can special order the ones in London but what I am always amazed at this store is what is on offer. It is truly a great store :

http://www.aoto.com.sg/index.htm

U will have a good time browsing around this shop and in this mall, they have some cool shops u can pick a thing or two for wife and daughter (indian bangles or bracelet, philippine workmanship for cool ethnic jewelry etc)

Good Luck

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in Singapore

u can get nice knick knacks from arab street like crafty stuff and rattan stuff too or handicraft stuff like beads

Boston
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in Singapore

Hi dlo,

Thanks for all your advise. So much of it is right on the money!

Tonight we hade dinner at the "East Coast Park"...seafood. I had a tough time with the food but the Tiger beer was good.

Starting to collect input on what to do this weekend,so far... maybe take that cable car ride to the resort island, maybe the zoo, that night safrari watch, and Chinatown are on our list. (I've got to go back and check your ideas)

The food is killing me, lunches in the office are terrible, good thing I've got access to the Grand Club here at the Hyatt, breakfast is good.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in Singapore

where is your office ? if it is around the CBD area, I can recommend some darn good places !

I will skip Sentosa if I were u, nothing there for u really, even the cable car ride is not going to be worth your while. U will be better off checking out ethnic neighborhoods or Pulau Ubin etc. Zoo and Night safari are better investment.

If u need any other recommendations just drop a line here :) Otherwise I will be on that SQ flight direct from Newark to SIN this weekend so will be out of service for a while :)

But u r lucky, SIN forum is a good site that has a lot of good contributors who are regulars or are residents. Their knowledge is invaluable esp. for food suggestions !!! But they are definitely better than me for shopping, I only based mine on what I liked to do when I lived there.

Good Luck and enjoy the rest of your trip. When will u return to Boston ? The weather around us is miserable, it is 16 right now and dropping to 8 tonight, this whole week is like that. Cant wait till I get to SIN and the warmth !!!