We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sentosa or other areas for family?

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sentosa or other areas for family?

Hello everyone!

We (me, hubby, 5 1/2yo and almost 7yo) are going to be in Singapore from 13th to 18th January.

I'm trying to decide where to stay. Sentosa or other area for the entire stay or split our time?

We will be taking the girls to Universal, Zoo and of course hubby and I would like to see some things too.

We travel a fair bit (Aussie expats) and recently spent 6 months in Bangkok so are good with getting around in taxis and trains. Our girls are pretty good and interested in seeing the sights. Our oldest is a real "foodie" so we'd like to be able to access a wide variety of foods.

Festive Hotel looks good because it has a family room with a loft area for the girls. But I'm concerned that we will only be able to access overpriced hotel food on Sentosa.

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted!

Thanks,

Shelly

Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sentosa or other areas for family?

Oops! Forgot to add that our budget is preferably 500SGD or under a night.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,631 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sentosa or other areas for family?

Hi Shelly1170,

Imo, stay in the city. It's not difficult to get to Sentosa from the city. You will have wider choice of hotels, food, shopping and sightseeing staying in the city. Our public transport is efficient and taxis are relatively inexpensive. Have a look at the link for a list of hotels suitable for family stay.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294262-c198410/Singa…

Good luck!

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sentosa or other areas for family?

Agree. Stay in town, visit Sentosa.

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sentosa or other areas for family?

Hello, with 5 nights you may consider staying at the same hotel for your whole stay. Staying in the city would be convenient if you plan to visit the city. Visiting Sentosa from the city is easy: mrt, taxi, cable car, sentosa shuttle...

You may check the following hotels and see if any suits your preferences and budget. All are well located and close to a mrt station so you can easily visit the city:

City Hall area: Swissotel the Stamford, Fairmont, Carlton, Residence@SRC, ...

Bugis area: RendezVous hotel, Intercontinental, V Hotel Lavender, ...

Clarke Quay area: Swissotel Merchant Court, Novotel Clarke Quay, Park Regis, Parkroyal on Pickering...

Marina Bay area: Pan Pacific, Marina Mandarin...

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,688 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sentosa or other areas for family?

I would not split the stay simply to see both Sentosa and the city more easily. Mostly because organising a yourselves to pack, check out, transfer, check in and unpack does take more time out of the holiday than transport on the days you want to be in the location away from where you are staying on a short stay such as yours.

Sentosa is a 10minute taxi ride from the city centre areas and under half an hour by MRT from City Hall MRT. Its not some remote island in the middle of nowhere, which some description give the impression of.

It is usually easier to stay in the City in general as to get a balanced selection of attractions seen most people are going spend less time on Sentosa than they do elsewhere. There is also a wider variety of hotels off the island and in terms of getting food from elsewhere other than the hotel for breakfast particularly the mainland wins hands down - and since hotels costs for food are such that I always go room only and eat wherever else I choose thats a consideration. Its also easier to get around to the rest of Singapore from the City areas generally.

That said if the hotel on Sentosa really attracts, go for it. While things are easier on the mainland, the difference is smaller than it ever has been. With the expansion of hotels in RWS and better transport links times to get off the island are shorter, there are more food options both in and out of hotels on Sentosa (though breakfast is outaside a hotel still seems a bit of an issue) and while the city still wins on convenience (in my opinion), the difference is smallish if you use a taxi, and doable if you use the boardwalk/monorail combined with the MRT. However, you still have to think in terms of having to get up and go whenever you leave Sentosa for any reason.

Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sentosa or other areas for family?

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. We have decided to stay in the City and just travel to Universal.

Now just to plan a rough itinerary...off to search the forums!

Cheers,

Shelly

7. Re: Sentosa or other areas for family?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 14, 2014