We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Zoo & Night Safari - is this the same ZOO?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore Zoo & Night Safari - is this the same ZOO?

Hi Guys,

I’m travelling to Singapore from 31 December to 4 January with my wife and 10 month old son.

Trying to put my itinerary together I have noticed the Singapore Zoo and Night Safari is the same Zoo. I intended to visit both earlier but would like to know if it is the same Zoo but advertised for day and night viewing separately?

Is it worth visiting both?

If yes is it possible to do in a single day?

If no which one should I visit leaving the other.

Appreciate all the assistance...

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,866 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore Zoo & Night Safari - is this the same ZOO?

hello, the Zoo and the Night Safari are 2 distinct attractions; they are next to each other. The zoo is open during daytime while the Night Safari opens on evening.

The Zoo is great. The Night Safari is good too but offers a different experience: it is a night zoo and you must take your time to really enjoy it.

Technically you can do the zoo followed by the night safari in the same day. Though this may be a tiring day and your kid may be too young to enjoy the night safari.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,534 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore Zoo & Night Safari - is this the same ZOO?

Hi Rahul D,

No, they are 2 separate attractions although they are located adjacent to each other. The Night Safari showcases nocturnal animals. Imo, yes, it is worth going to both as they provide different experiences. The night zoo with its subdued lightings, ambience and natural setting requires patience and stamina from visitors to wait for the animals to venture out from their hiding places. However, seeing that you have your 10-month old son with you, then you may want to consider just visiting the day zoo only.

My $0.02. Hope this helps.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore Zoo & Night Safari - is this the same ZOO?

Why Not do Singapore Zoo & The New River Safari instead :D

The River Safari Amazon River Quest (Boat Ride) will open before Ur intend Arrival date.

This is a Preview of the Amazon River Quest Ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWdL7vdOURY

River Safari:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI4k4LaB9Lo

They both are next to each other :D.......So is the Night Safari :D

U can google Map walk around the area :D Just search using Singapore Zoo :D.....

I am biased, dun like to see Animal in darkness enclosure :D

Happy Holiday

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore Zoo & Night Safari - is this the same ZOO?

Another write up of the River Quest Preview:

…wordpress.com/2013/…

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,363 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore Zoo & Night Safari - is this the same ZOO?

<<Trying to put my itinerary together I have noticed the Singapore Zoo and Night Safari is the same Zoo>>

I'm not sure where you noticed this- as it is incorrect. Whoever told you this was wrong.

The set up is this. THere is an organisation called WRS (Wildlife Reserves Singapore, if I remember the full title correctly). They own and run the main parks in Singapore - so thats the Zoo, Night Safari, Bird Park and River Safari as their main attractions.

WRS owns a large chunk of land by the Upper Selatar Reservoir where three of the parks are located (Zoo, River Safari and Night Safari. While the parks sit next to each other on one large plot of land and share an access road (Mandai Lake Road) and the entrances cluster next to each other the attractions themselves are separate entities as far as a visitor is concerned.

That means different sections of land, different tickets, different collections and different routes.

THe Night Safari is most certainly NOT simply access to the Zoo at nighttime.

Both are well worth visiting, they are both on my must see list each time I hit Singapore.

As to both in one day - a lot of people do and some get away with it because they are fitter than average and more tolerant of being tired. However, both seeing posts and reviews here and watching people physically at the Night Safari a lot end up either suffering for it or not seeing one or other attraction well. its very hard work to put the two together.

THe zoo really needs a full day to get the best out of it. Its a large attraction, with a lot to see and do. Thats quite hard work on its own if its a hot day. That is not the problem in itself - but what that means is if you wish to get the most out of the visit then by the time you get to the end of the day you are likely to be pretty tired and tired is a very bad way to visit the Night Safari. That said the zoo is much easier to visit casually, its got good sightlines and you can easily see everything plus it has a range of shows and feeding talks plus a dedicated children's area (Kidzworld).

THe Night Safari is not a casual visit attraction, you need to wait out the animals quietly and patiently as nocturnal animals are more skittish than many. They are also often well camoflagued and so difficult to see in the low light levels - and physical tiredness does affect how well your eyes accomodate at night. Go to fast and you will miss a lot as well. Some people avoid the tiredness issues by doing a short day at the zoo, and this clearly works but for me personally that means I'd waste my money on the zoo - but for people on very short visits it might be a good option. A better idea that uses exactly the same concept of a shorter day to avoiid tiredness at the Night Safari is to visit the smaller River Safari in the afternoon which opened earlier this year and that attraction seems to fit the time slot unlike the zoo.

I see this all the time, groups wandering round and looking for 5 seconds at a cage, saying 'can't see anything' and moving on - and this must leave those people with a very poor impression - I mean if you don't see anything its just a walk in the brush. Note the Night Safari opens at 7.30 in the evening and if I walk in then I tend to end up leaving after 10.30pm just to do a circuit on foot and on the tram but not seeing the Amphitheatre show.

All these add up to the fact that if you do the zoo in full and then the Night Safari afterwards its a very long day especially for a 10 month old, with enormous potential to tire you out, that tiredness directly affects how well you can enjoy the second park of the day and so whether its worth spending the time and money.

I would suggest that for you, with a 10month old the Zoo is the better option. I always recommend doing the Zoo and Night Safari on separate days for anyone. I would even think about whether the Night Safari will work for you at all - it depends entirely on how your 10 month old handles late nights and how you intend to handle the tram ride with a stroller or similar. If you are wanting to do two parks (a day zoo and night zoo) then from reports so far the River Safari and Night Safari combine best for giving you that experience without either exhausting you or lowering value for money.

Asia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore Zoo & Night Safari - is this the same ZOO?

Welcome to Singapore

It is good to visit both day zoo and night safari.

You'll see different animals in the day zoo and night safari

You may start your day zoo after 12pm. Thereafter to night safari which is just next to it.

Tickets are available 2 in 1 at special price upon arrival at zoo entrance

Enjoy your trip

Josephine

Washington
Level Contributor
165 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore Zoo & Night Safari - is this the same ZOO?

I have visited the night zoo. It is an experience that you do not get in other locations. If you bring a camera, then make sure you know how do take pictures in low light. Flashes are not allowed. With that being said, your child will likely be too young to take away what the night zoo has to offer. Finally, try and avoid the night zoo on Friday or Saturday because of the crowds.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore Zoo & Night Safari - is this the same ZOO?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Me: I like your suggestion to explore the Zoo and river quest.

Myra: I agree it might be too much for us with our son and overall experience might be effected trying to do everything and not completely enjoying anything.

Singapore Nancy: I may leave the night zoo to an add on and may attempt to visit only if time allows.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore Zoo & Night Safari - is this the same ZOO?

Happy Holiday :D

10. Re: Singapore Zoo & Night Safari - is this the same ZOO?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 01, 2014