We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing, tour advice please

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Sightseeing, tour advice please

I am meeting my mother in law (aged 72 - fairly agile but can't walk for hours) in Singapore for a three days and trying to plan some sightseeing but need some advice :

1. Would we be better off booking a guided Singapore City Tour which covers the Civic District, Chinatown, Thian Hock Keng Temple and handicraft centre, Marina Bay - Merlion stop, National Orchid Garden and Little India. Hotel Pick up and drop off. 4 hours - about AU$35.00 or should we get a Hop On Hop Off bus pass for around AU$25.00that's valid for 24 hours with no guide/information and just go around ourselves?

2. Sentosa Island. I have found a half day Sentosa Island tour which includes a hotel pick up, Cable Car from Mt Faber to the Island, Underwater world via dolphin lagoon, Images of Singapore, Songs of the Sea show and coach return to hotel. 7 hours AU$62.00. Is this worthwhile or would it be better to just get there ourselves and do/see each activity ? Are there any other activities not included in the tour that should not be missed?

3. Gardens by the Bay - is it worth going early in the morning before the heat or later in the afternoon to stay for the Light Show ?

4. Where are the best markets (not food) - Bugis Street or China Town and when is the best time of day/night to go (ie less crowded).

5. Where is the best place to see Singapore at night (skyline views). Any suggestions for a night river cruise.

Anything else that should be seen? All suggestions and advice would be appreciated. Thanks

1. Re: Sightseeing, tour advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 pm, November 06, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing, tour advice please

1. take the hop on hop off bus so u will be in the bus rather than walking on guided tour

2. Sentosa is easily doable by yourself. If u fancy the cable car take taxi to Mt Faber. Plenty of attractions in Sentosa, many are kiddish. Fort Siloso and images of Singapore are some historical stuffs. Free transportation within the island. U can rest in between walks.

3. Depends what u fancy. If heat gets u down do it in the morning.

4. Bugis market sell mostly cheesy stuffs. For a bit of ethnicity Chinatown is better.

5. For night view u can go to MBS observation deck at $20 entrance fee.

for night cruise I suggest taking the two hour chinese junk dinner cruise that depart from marina south pier.

Edited: 8:45 pm, November 03, 2013
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,751 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing, tour advice please

post # 1 - duplicate posting

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing, tour advice please

Thanks very much

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,508 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing, tour advice please

I'll dive onto Question 2 as well - Sentosa has a lot on it. A half day tour is not going to do it justice.

Roughly speaking you have USS which takes most of a day - its a theme park on the island with all the pros and cons. You have the rest of the integrated resort development - Crane Dance, Maritime Museum, SEA Aquarium, Water Cove etc which is probably another day's worth of activity if you do it all and then the rest of Sentosa is a collection of attractions and activities that could potentially fill 2 more days.

Now as a collection of varied individual attractions its not necessary to visit all of these things by any stretch of the imagination - however I'd suggest that a full day visit and filling that is really the minimum for a decent run at the island. A lot depends upon what on the island you want to do....

www.sentosa.com.sg is the website and it gives a list of the primary attractions, you will want to follow links of to Resort World Sentosa to get the options there in detail.

My visits tend to be in the day to 2 days length....Images of SIngapore, Merlion, Underwater World (though the SEA may overtake that in future visits), FOrt SIloso, Butterfly Park....that fills a day and was my must see run for years. More than a day in a 3 day stopover is probably investing too much time on Sentosa itself, you'll miss out on other things in Singapore too much...the eternal problem of the 3 day stopover in a country where the must see things take a week to clear.

As to the package - first things first, a lot of packages have filler they get cheap or they put way to much in so you rush round and do not get the full experience - it makes the overall price look attractive and if its all things you want to do then grab the package, but if it drags you to places you do not want to go its a false economy in terms of your money and in a 3 day stopover your time.

I tend to DIY on Sentosa, a taxi is about 10-12SGD for the group from the city centre hotels, the MRT 2SGD per person, SAEx bus is 5SGD. FOr Sentosa most package basically give you a bunch of tickets and let you go anyway. The package you cite would be 26SGD for the cable car (and that would let you do a circuit not just be one way delivery, 10SGD for Images, 30SGD for Underwater World and 12SGD for Songs of the Sea....total of 68SGD, plus 5-10SGD for transport and entry is 75SGDish...thats around 64AUD...so DIY is much the same price for the package.

DIY you get to visit other things that you want when you want and if you want to match the Sentosa PLay Pass's offerings can actually save money by using that package as i have gone by list prices. FOr me the package misses two icons - Fort SIloso and the Merlion. Now your interest in those may vary but for me they are essentials. It also visits the older aquarium for the

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sightseeing, tour advice please

Great advice. Will probably go the DIY option so we are not rushed around as you say. Will do a bit more looking around too. Thanks - much appreciated

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,508 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sightseeing, tour advice please

To go over so e of the other questions....

River cruise - I'm a fan of the bumboat ride...I time it to start at Merlion Park around 15mins before sunset and so get to go arose the bay and up river in the goth and then come back as the sun goes down. It gives a good set of photos in day time but gives views of the bay, the Merlion the quays and the city financial skyline at night.

Also conspicuously absent in your initial list are any of the wildlife parks, the major museums and food options. The food as an attraction is in my opinion a must due to the unique blends of food cultures that have crystallised in Singapore. The other two are significant attractions and should at east be considered even if time limitation and preferences in a 3 day stopover push you to other things.....better to have considered and rejected than to have been unaware of the option.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sightseeing, tour advice please

Thanks myrm. Great tip on the bumboat ride. Will definitely be seeing some of the museums - thought we could go around the whole city on on the Hop on Hop Off bus routes first and see which ones we find enough time to visit. Similarly, will be exploring the various food options as we go through Chinatown, Little India etc, depending where we find ourselves - definitely not going to be eating western fast food. Will probably have to give the wildlife parks a miss - wish we had longer as there appears to be so much to see and do and obviously can't fit it all in 3 days. I grew up in South Africa so have been lucky enough to go to many game reserves/wildlife parks so look forward to seeing different/new things. Thanks very much for your feedback.

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sightseeing, tour advice please

hello, you may consider MRT as an extremely good alternate option to the hop on hop off bus. It is safe, fast, reliable and cheap. It will bring you to almost every places you planned to visit.

MRT runs more frequently ans has more flexible operating hours than a hop on hop off bus. Also using the MRT is an immersing experience, in a hop on hop off bus you're just with other tourists :p

Port Pirie, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sightseeing, tour advice please

Thanks. Was just a bit concerned that MRT may be too crowded and busy for mother-in-law. Will try it and see how she goes.