We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

singapore vs kl?

scotland
Level Contributor
176 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
singapore vs kl?

hi,

am getting married next year (end june) and plan to do a far east multi centre once-in-a-lifetime holiday. We are traveling from uk and definitely plan to do Bali for a week, Bangkok and koh samui.

The way our flights work we have to go via either KL or Singapore, and we plan to spend 3 nights in whichever one we choose.

If we go to KL we would stay at Shangri la, if its Singapore it would be mandarin oriental.

Singapore is the slightly more expensive option, but does involve one less flight. We will be doing business class (Malaysian for kl or British airways for Singapore).

In terms of what we would like to do- probably an easyish day to acclimatize followed by 2 days of shopping and sightseeing.

Both seem to be very exciting destinations and we are having a very hard time choosing, any help from fellow TA members would be appreciated. If money and time was no object we would do both, however that is not an option.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: singapore vs kl?

I think most people would agree that is a lot more to see and do in Singapore, and its easier to get around. KL will be cheaper for accommodation and shopping though.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: singapore vs kl?

If its a Honeymoon trip you may want to try the Fullerton Bay hotel ( the bay front rooms with or without the balcony jacuzzi) or the Ritz Carlton Millennia ( the corner Premier suits but any of the bay facing rooms are good) rather than the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore if you like the Marina Bay area

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
583 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: singapore vs kl?

I would plump for Singapore. Having lived in both places Singapore comes out tops. Both have good points but there is more to see in Singapore and of course the shopping . KL is cheaper though.

Thailand
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: singapore vs kl?

I would rather have the Malaysia business class experience. Shangrila KL is also good.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: singapore vs kl?

I would definitely vouch for Singapore. Not just because I live in Singapore. Singapore trumps KL for several reasons:

1. more things to do and see

2. better public transport system

3. cleaner

4. safer

KL is definitely cheaper but my concerns each time I go to KL revolve around security. Snatch thefts are quite rampant in Malaysia. Just in case you think my views are biased, I lived in Malaysia for 13 years as a Malaysian.

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: singapore vs kl?

hello, Singapore would be ideal for first time visitor in south east asia. As said above the city is compact and served by an efficient public transportation system: you will do and see more things and easily.

PS: just stayed at the Mandarin Oriental and was a bit disappointed by the experience. Rooms are comfortable but found service delivered by the staff very average.

Additionally to Mankster's hotel advices you may check the Marina Bay Sands for its wow factor (average service) or the Raffles for a charming stay in the old colonial past with great staff (check their website if they offer their package you stay 3 nights and pay only 2 nights at your staying date).

scotland
Level Contributor
176 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: singapore vs kl?

thanks for the replies and tips, we have ended up doing the kl option as it would have cost 2k more to visit Singapore instead of kl due to way flights would have worked out. Singapore looks wonderful and will visit for sure in the future.

8. Re: singapore vs kl?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 29, 2014