We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with 5yo

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
283 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay with 5yo

Hi, I'll be travelling with my 5yo daughter and looking at spending 4 nights in Singapore followed by 5 nights on bintan island probably in early Dec. I have questions about both parts of our trip.

1 - Singapore. We want to do the regular sightseeing that is good for children - sentosa island, zoo, river safari and maybe even legoland in malaysia, but also want to spend time in town so don't want to stay on sentosa. Have narrowed it down to marina mandarin or Novotel Clarke quay. Which is best area and hotel? Also happy to hear other suggestions than those two hotels.

2 - is bintan island worth going to? As someone from Australia who is used to gorgeous beaches, will we be disappointed? Also looking for some culture and different way of living, is this possible on bintan or is it all just resorts?

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay with 5yo

Both Hotel are great but marina mandarin with a Nice swimming pool is connected to Marina Square Mall next door & also the Revamped Suntec City mall is just opposite :D Both hotel are also about 7min walk to the nearest MRT station :D.......Novotel Clarke Quay is right connect to the Liang Court Shopping Next door :D......a Big Kopitiam Food Court at the Mall + McDonald & other food options + Japanese Supermarket below got a Sushi takeaway counter (nice sushi)......

if U stay at marina mandarin, U only need to short walk to the Singapore Flyer (10min) for Ur Day trip to Legoland :D Remember to book in advance.

http://legoland.wtstravel.com.sg/

http://www.legoland.com.my/plan/bus-services/

U can also walk from Marina Mandarin to City Hall , Bugis etc.....

And have U also consider bringing Ur Daughter to Singapore Science Centre? it a Nice educational place to go. And also the rather amazing SEA Aquarium?

===> U should check out Top Questions about Singapore - under this Link:

Visiting > What to see/do in Singapore

===> Soon 9 day also not enuff :D........

2 - is bintan island worth going to? As someone from Australia who is used to gorgeous beaches, will we be disappointed?

===> Compare to Melbourne - where I knew like the back of my hand; Not worth the effort.

===> If U like a Short trip, U can consider checking this Link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294262-i1747-k607…

Enjoy

Edited: 7:47 am, August 28, 2013
Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay with 5yo

Hello, you may also consider Swissotel Merchant Court: like Novotel it is located in Clarke Quay by the river, has an outdoor pool and is located closer to the mrt station than the Novotel is. Stayed there once and it was ok. Schonefeld may give you more up-to-date info as I believe it is one of his favorite hotels in Singapore.

There are also Swissotel the Stamford and the Fairmont very well located at City Hall right above an mrt station. Both hotels share the same outdoor pool.

Near the Marina Mandarin you may check the Pan Pacific Singapore. Also nearby and more expensive options are the Mandarin Oriental, the Ritz-Carlton, the iconic Marina Bay Sands, the Fullerton. The Fullerton has an outdoor pool by the river and a mrt station is right outside.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay with 5yo

Bintan are mostly resorts, for Bintan the nicer resorts for relaxation and better beaches include Angsana and Banyan tree.. with kids u may want to check out Club Med Bintan.. I recall some aussies posted here before that they enjoyed Bintan.. I like it (been there 3X), convenient enough by ferry.. but I think 5 nights may be a bit long..

u may also want to check out Nikoi island which is further up Bintan..

alternatively u can fly to the many beach desitinations like in Thailand, Malaysia or Indonesia..

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay with 5yo

Beware Stayed at the Swiss hotel merchant court 2012, had great room overlooking the pool and river, but you can hear the music thumping away at 3-4 in the morning from Clarke Quay. Going back next year but staying at pan pacific marina bay hopefully it will be quiter

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
283 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay with 5yo

Hi Me Only,

thanks so much for your detailed reply! Ok so it sounds like Novotel does not have a pool, that would definitely eliminate that from contention for us. We definitely need a pool. I am liking the sound of the location of Marina Mandarin so along with a great pool that one is looking like the winner at the moment.

I have just had a quick look at the top attractions as per your suggestion - Marina Bay is listed as number one which also confirms that a hotel here is a good choice... I have a lot of reading to do in those links, I think you are right we will run out of time...

Hmm interesting that you think Bintan is maybe not worth a visit for us. One of the reasons I am thinking to travel to Singapore is so we can have a beach break at the end without having to fly anywhere. Is there anywhere else close enough to SIN that we don't have to fly, that we might like more than Bintan? The link to the article you posted is not working... but I think it will all be places to fly to.

Perhaps we will just have to extend our Singapore time and forgo the beach this time. Will the weather be nice enough for us to lounge around the pool a lot??

Thanks again very much, it helps me out a lot!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
283 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay with 5yo

Hi huow

Thank you for your suggestion of the Swissotel, Fairmont & Stamford, definitely being right on top of a train station is very appealing! I will check those ones out also.

The Pan Pacific and the other Marina Bay hotels do look lovely! The Marina Mandarin seems to be more within our price range though... looking to spend less than SGD300 per night :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
283 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay with 5yo

Hi raraS2u

Thank you for your reply, we were thinking of staying at Club Med on Bintan, the prices I have been offered are very attractive as they are all inclusive and I am sure my daughter will love it, will check out Angsana and Banyan tree also though. Perhaps we should extend our Singapore stay and only stay at Bintan for 3 nights...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
283 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay with 5yo

Hi streaky2, oooh that is definitely something to consider, we would prefer somewhere more peaceful, thanks for the warning. I guess this may be the case for any hotel in Clarke Quay area if it is very lively at night?

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay with 5yo

At Swissotel Merchant Court you may hear the sound from the bars and restaurants if you are staying in a room riverside. When I stayed at the SMC my room was on the overside facing an avenue and thus did have a quiet stay.

Forgot to mention the Calrton in City Hall. It has a pool and is a few steps away from the Fairmont and Swissotel the Stamford and thus from the mrt station. The Calrton is less expensive than these 2 hotels too.

If you want to save more you may check the brand new V Hotel Bencoolen with a small pool. It is well located with mrt stations nearby and sightseeing at walking distance (bugis market, arab street, little india). Don't be confused with V Hotel Lavender: V Hotel Bencoolen has better location.

Edited: 9:13 am, August 28, 2013
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,179 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay with 5yo

Stayed at Bintan last year at the Banyan Tree - the island seemed basically just resorts for where a tourist might g and the Banyan Tree was in a gated compound witht the Angsana and a golf course place.

The hotel was luxurious and had for me good enough beaches - we arent talking Maldives quality here, but there are lightyears ahead of Singapore's. I was as happy with them as Egyptian beaches, it looked better than the one I went to in Cairns (my only Aussie comparison), compared to Oman the water wasnt as clear but the sand was much better. A good beach but not a great worldbeating beach.

Since you are in SIngapoore the one at the Banyan Tree would fit a few days at the end of a city holiday to relax (which is what we did), but it wouldnt be where I would select first up specifically for a beach holiday and the ferry transfer does make it very easy.

If you need to save a bit on the SIngapore side to upgrade from Club Med to Banyan Tree then look to something like the Carlton - cheaper than the Pan Pacific or the Fairmont or the Swissotel but in near enough the same location. There are a couple of other hotels in the same sort of area that also fit that bill.