We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lau Pa Sat

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,850 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Lau Pa Sat

Please note that Lau Pa Sat will be closed for renovation from 1 September 2013. Renovation works are expected to last 2 months. However, it is business as usual for the satay stalls at Boon Tat Street. ;)

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lau Pa Sat

Thank Nancy for the update. It's good to hear Lau Pa Sat will go under renovation: the place does worth a visit with its large white painted iron roof.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lau Pa Sat

Ohhh.. I have not been to LPS in a while. Did not like it after they turned the whole place into an ugly large food court. They should actually turn the place into what Food Republic looks like. :-(

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lau Pa Sat

Oh, that was one place on our list to go to. Will have to go to other hawker centers instead, there seems to be plenty around.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,850 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lau Pa Sat

Hi huow,

Imo, it is time for Lau Pa Sat to be given a makeover. It is rather grimy at the moment. Recent developments in the area such as the new Marina Bay Financial Centre has given Lau Pa Sat a run for its money. And with the opening up of new hotels in the area such as The Westin and the Soffitel So which are located just across the road, a new and rejuvenated Lau Pa Sat will only attract more visitors.

My only hope is that once upgrading is completed, the landlord will not increase rental or else hawkers will pass it on to their customers in the form of increases in food prices. :(

@c_bnewcastle,

What about coming our way again once upgrading works on the Lau Pa Sat are completed ? ;)

As for me, I will have to give up my usual lunch spot and walk over to the Amoy St Hawker Centre for lunch. :(

*sigh*

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lau Pa Sat

Hi SingaporeNancy

LPS has always been a favourite of ourS for satay when in Singapore but I've just been reading about Satay by the Bay. We will have limited nights on our next visit so I was after your opinion - is it worth trying Satay by the Bay or sticking with our old favourite LPS ? We aren't there until December so fingers crossed the renos will be done by then.

Thanks in advance !

TT

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,850 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lau Pa Sat

Hi ToddlerTales,

The upgrading works at LPS will probably have been completed by the time you get here. So you may still want to visit your favourite satay haunt to see LPS after the facelift ? ;)

If you do decide to visit Satay By The Bay, then you will be eating amidst the lust settings of GBB and the Marina Barrage. Imo, sometimes the ambiance plays a part in enhancing the flavor of the food. But that is very subjective. I cannot comment on the food other than the satay from the Malay stalls but for me they are just ok. And the location ensures that you are paying a premium for the food as, to me, they are rather price-y. But do visit SBB if only you want to eat in a new and different venue and to tick your box. There is a complimentary shuttle from the Marina Bay Mrt station from 6 pm to 12 am on week nights.

My current favourite satay stall is at Golden Mile Hawker Centre. Besides beef, mutton and chicken, they do have liver and tripe satay. And of course the many sop tulang stalls there. Eating the red sop tulang with bread is akin to eating chili crab with mantou, very messy but finger licking good. Imo, of course. ;o))

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lau Pa Sat

I was at Satay at the bay 2 weeks ago. It's fine if you are at that end of the Gardens and for the view. Food and choice is not as good as LPS. No point in making the trip to Satay By the Bay just for the Satay.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,850 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lau Pa Sat

Oh.. btw, note in my post #1, I did mention that the upgrading works to LPS do not affect the operation of the satay stalls on Boon Tat Street. It is still business as usual.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lau Pa Sat

Thanks so much guys, probably safe to say we'll be heading back to LPS. I just hate to think there was even better satay out there and I was missing out on it !

If I could just find somewhere on Boon Tat St to sell me an icy cold glass of white wine, it would pretty much be my idea of heaven.

Thank you f.or taking the time to reply Mankster and SingaporeNancy.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,850 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lau Pa Sat

Hi TT,

How about BYO, wine, glasses and cork puller? :o))

Not sure what this family ended up doing..

tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g294265-i1748-k…