We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra time at Changi Airport

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Extra time at Changi Airport

Hi All

Getting very excited as we fly to Singapore next Friday. Upon arrival we will be anxious to grab a taxi, get to our hotel and start exploring for the next 7 days, however, our return flight home isn't until 10.25pm. Having read a number of posts on TA, is it worth going back to the airport early (say round 6pm or earlier) to have a look around and explore?

Thanks for any suggestions

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,926 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra time at Changi Airport

Normally the airline check-in starts 2 hours prior to departure, until then you do not have access to the airside.

Exceptions: Check-in early for hassle-free enjoyment of Changi's facilities, services and shopping!

Please check here:

changiairport.com/passenger-guide/departure/…

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra time at Changi Airport

Hello most interesting things are within the transit area after passport control so you need to check-in first. Therefore you need to check if your airline provides early check-in to check-in your luggage and collect your boarding pass.

Edited: 9:33 am, June 07, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
730 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra time at Changi Airport

yup, interesting thing is beyond that area where your passport is stamped. otherwise if you want to get some local food mixes or sachets for you to cook curry chicken, laksa, chicken rice etc, u can get them from Terminal 3 NTUC (public area open to everyone). they should have the food mixtures. i bought them @ 7 eleven in Terminal 2. kind of expensive... last min purchase so i cant choose.

some airlines counter open only 2 hours before check in. some is earlier so you have to check with the airline.

Also if you mentioned 6pm to the airport... is that a weekday or weekend. 6pm is like the traffic jam time in Singapore because offices close at 5-6pm

I always like to go into the transit mall and shop. The shu uemura stuffs, makeup etc are cheaper in the transit mall than shopping malls. plus there's many other things to check out or chill out in the airport.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra time at Changi Airport

Thanks everyone as I didn't know early check-in was available. We are flying with Qantas (Terminal 1) so we can do it. Hopefully, will also have access to Qantas Club.

It will be a Friday night, so thanks for the tip on traffic. We are staying at the Swissotel MC, what time would you suggest we leave to avoid the traffic? Earlier or later?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extra time at Changi Airport

There may be traffic around your hotel area but once you get on the highway the journey will be brisk. Give yourself 30 min for the taxi ride. If you dont have much luggage you can consider taking the MRT but that will take 1hour. Changi airport is worth exploring for tax free shopping.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extra time at Changi Airport

There may be traffic around your hotel area but once you get on the highway the journey will be brisk. Give yourself 30 min for the taxi ride. If you dont have much luggage you can consider taking the MRT but that will take 1hour. Changi airport is worth exploring for tax free shopping.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,926 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extra time at Changi Airport

post # 6 - duplicate posting

8. Re: Extra time at Changi Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:11 am, June 08, 2013
Singapore
Level Contributor
160 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extra time at Changi Airport

I recommend you going to the Orchid and Koi Garden at Terminal 2. inside transit.

you will be able to transfer between Terminal inside transit.

read more details from

changiairport.com/at-changi/…nature-trail

Enjoy your holiday in Singapore

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Extra time at Changi Airport

The airport does have some interesting things. But I would not cut short my sightseeing in the city just to go early to the airport. If you have a day planned with activities on your last day, go with that and just check in normally. Even with Friday evening traffic 30 minutes by cab is safe from City Hall.