We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public holiday 1st May - what should we do?

Tasmania
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Public holiday 1st May - what should we do?

I and my family (my husband and 7-year-old son) will be in Singapore for a week, from the 27th April to the 4th May. We were planning to go to the SEA Aquarium and Adventure Cove waterpark on the 1st May, but I've just noticed that the RWS website lists both that day and Monday the 29th of April as peak days, at least for the Aquarium. And then I found out about the Labour day public holiday. Monday the 29th also seems to be a peak day at USS, which was the day we planned to go there.

I can rearrange our visits to Sentosa to fall on other days, but can anyone tell me whether there are places other than Sentosa that are best avoided on the 29th and the 1st? We are also planning to go to the zoo, the bird park, Gardens by the Bay, and the night safari. (And would it be advisable to go to the Night Safari on the Sunday night? Other forum posts have suggested that that night may be less busy.)

Thank you very much in advance for your help and recommendations.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public holiday 1st May - what should we do?

Weekend and public holidays ( 1st May) tend to be busier. I would avoid Universal Stufios ( longer lines) and possible the Adventure Cove water park (larger crowds in a small place). I would worry too much about the the rest, there are weekends every week of the year and everyone still enjoys themselves and manages fine after all. Visit at opening times, when crowds are less.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public holiday 1st May - what should we do?

Thanks very much, Mankster, that was very reassuring. I guess we will visit Sentosa on Monday and Tuesday, then, and perhaps do the zoo or the bird park on the public holiday Wednesday. And we will make sure to be up nice and early, particularly on the 1st May! :) Thanks again.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,004 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public holiday 1st May - what should we do?

Hi Miss Brooke

If U & Ur family are interested, U can also check out the Istana during it Open House Day on 1 May 2013. More details below:

istana.gov.sg/content/…openhouse.html

Tasmania
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public holiday 1st May - what should we do?

Thanks very much for the tip, Me^Only. That might very well be worth doing. So far our itinerary is pretty light on cultural/historical sights!

Bay Area
Level Contributor
594 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public holiday 1st May - what should we do?

@MissBrooke - We too were planning to visit Singapore in same time frame. Pls. share as to where you found that Apr 29th is a peak day. I tried to check for the calendar in rwsentosa website and did not find anything. Ticket pricing also did not change for Apr 29th. Pls. advise. Thanks much

Tasmania
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public holiday 1st May - what should we do?

Hi, ppxyz. I'm not entirely sure that April 29th is a peak day for all of Singapore, but certainly Resorts World Sentosa think it will be busy. As far as I'm aware, there is no peak/non-peak days listing for USS, but when I looked at ticket prices for that day, the express pass was listed as SGD50, rather than the usual SGD30. Also, there is a listing for peak days for the SEA aquarium and typoon theatre (sorry, can't provide a link at the moment as I am replying from my phone), and both the 29th and the 1st are listed there as peak days, with extra charges for the typhoon theatre, where it is usually included. Not sure why the 29th should be more busy than a usual Monday, though; perhaps an expert here might know the answer?

PS. Your itinerary thread has been very helpful. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Bay Area
Level Contributor
594 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public holiday 1st May - what should we do?

Thanks @Missbrooke. Will check it out. Did not strike me to check out the express pass part. Yes that definitely is an indication that it is a peak day if charged at SGD50.

@Missbrokke - are you planning to book all tickets online now or will you book as you get closer to the date? thanks

Request TA members to let us know as to why Apr 29th would be a peak day being a Monday? I can understand for May 1st (being labor day).

Thanks TA members in advance

Tasmania
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public holiday 1st May - what should we do?

Ppxyz, I'm not planning to book tickets now. I was thinking of going to USS on the Tuesday, and I might book that online a bit closer to the day. But on Labour Day, I'm not quite sure what we'll do. Maybe the bird park? Or maybe the zoo (I've read that there's enough space at these parks for crowds to spread out)? If we do go to the zoo that day, I will most likely book ahead, as we wanted to take our son to breakfast with the orangutans.

I too would be interested to know why Monday April 29th might be a peak day at Resorts World. Thanks in advance to anyone who might know the answer.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
594 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public holiday 1st May - what should we do?

@MissBrooke - Emailed resorts world Sentosa. Though they confirmed that Apr 29th is a peak day they have not told why. Here is the response I got.

===========

Thank you for your interest at Resorts World Sentosa.

Please be advised that as of the moment, we do not have specific dates for the peak express tickets since this are subject to demand and seasonality of your visit. As per checking, April 29 would be considered peak date even if it falls on a monday.

Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

==========================================

Tasmania
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public holiday 1st May - what should we do?

Thanks for that, ppxyz. It's good to have confirmation that it is a peak day, although it would be nice to know why! :) We'll try to avoid Sentosa that day.