We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using a debit card to book a hotel. Is it safe?

Manila, Philippines
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Using a debit card to book a hotel. Is it safe?

Hi guys!

I am planning to book 2 rooms for a party of 4 in Capri by Fraser, however I just wanted to clarify if using a debit card will be safe?

I'm coming from the Philippines and I've done some research on how debit cards are usually put on hold for days along with a certain amount.

1. How much do I need to have in my debit card if I'm booking two rooms worth roughly around SGD 700?

2. I worry that a large amount will be put on hold, but we plan to pay the full amount in cash upon on arrival, so will I need to have a large amount of money in my debit card anyway?

3. I've heard once your debit card is put on hold, you might not be able to use it immediately?

4. Do I need to clarify with my bank if they accept the use of a debit card for reservations abroad as I've also heard that the card could be blocked as it would be deemed suspicious? The same goes for withdrawals abroad. The card could be blocked if used abroad. Is this true?

Clarifications would be most appreciated as I'd really want the trip to be an enjoyable one and most preferably hassle free. Thanks!

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,800 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using a debit card to book a hotel. Is it safe?

1) I guess $700

2)Yes, they authorise your card to ensure you have means to pay. They don't hold your money, your bank reduces your available balance by the authorised amount. If the transaction is not completed or cancelled,that balance is made available again.

3) Yes, see 2)

4) Yes

Edited: 6:05 pm, January 22, 2013
Manila, Philippines
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Using a debit card to book a hotel. Is it safe?

Thank you for the quick reply!

So does that mean that if we plan to pay the $700 in cash upon arrival we STILL need an additional $700 in the debit card?

The hotel mentioned they needed a debit/credit card for guarantee purposes and we could choose to pay in cash upon arrival. So how does that work?

I assume they won't minus the amount if we pay in full cash right? But once the transaction is paid in full at the hotel upon arrival, will the hold on the card be immediately released?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,800 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using a debit card to book a hotel. Is it safe?

If its just to guarantee a room then they normally wouldn't authorise the whole amount. For credit cards it is a small amount like $1 to ensure the card details are valid. When you check in they need your card again as deposit, normally they authorise ( but don't charge) 1 night + may be something extra for mini bar charges.

It's up to your bank when they make avialble any monies back to you, not the retailer/hotel.

Edited: 6:57 pm, January 22, 2013
Manila, Philippines
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Using a debit card to book a hotel. Is it safe?

Ooh I see.

So just to clarify, you mean that they'll still need to authorise the card for 1 night + extras even if the rooms are paid for in full by cash?

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Using a debit card to book a hotel. Is it safe?

no the hotel will only take a pre-authorisation if you are planning to make payment only upon check-out. if you already have made plans to make full payment upon check-in then there is no further need for any authorisation from your card. hope it helps =)

London, United...
Level Contributor
875 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using a debit card to book a hotel. Is it safe?

Pau,

A word of caution. You have asked if there might be any problems.

Personally I'd steer clear of using a debit card when making a hotel booking. If there is any "misunderstanding" you may find that they take all of the cost as an advance payment and you will probably have some difficulty sorting it out, particularly if you need to cancel. It is far better to use a credit card, and take a print out of the booking and any cancel conditions - then you can take any problems up with your credit card provider.

Good luck.

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using a debit card to book a hotel. Is it safe?

Two Quick points:

1. Unless Manila is different to most other countries, then a debit card is still attached to either mastercard or Visa. This means it operates exactly the same as a credit card, except you are using you own deposited money, not credit. You are still covered by all the advantages of Credit Cards security etc.

2. You need to be aware that some (quite a few) hotels will still 'hold' up to $100USD/night from your credit card, even if you have paid in full. This happened to us on our recent Singapore trip at both Moevenpick Sentosa Hotel and also Oasia Hotel Singapore.

Have a great trip

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
bandung
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Using a debit card to book a hotel. Is it safe?

I'd booked a room at Mövenpick Heritage Hotel for august. Does the hotel take cash deposit? As I would rather not use credit cards.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using a debit card to book a hotel. Is it safe?

U can email for the Official Reply:

hotel.sentosa@moevenpick.com

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
24,461 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using a debit card to book a hotel. Is it safe?

Hello annulare,

Yes, The Moevenpick Heritage Sentosa Hotel does take a cash deposit. I left Aust$ as a deposit for incidentals on check-in (placed in an envelope, sealed and signed for, given a receipt).

Mentioned in this post