We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast with Orangutans - suitable for 3 year old? USS?

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast with Orangutans - suitable for 3 year old? USS?

Namaste from India!

I am visiting Singapore with my 3 year next week and have the following 4 questions.

1. Will my 3 year old son enjoy "Breakfast with Orangutans"? He is not the bravest child in the universe :)

2. What rides do you suggest in Universal, Sentosa? We are staying overnight at Movenpick.

3. Planning to take him for a fire-station orientation on Saturday at Hill Street Fire station. Have any of you tried it? Is it worth doing? How do I get in touch with them in advance?

4. Finally, any less-known attraction that we would enjoy as a family? So far we have the zoo, Jurong, Night safari, Flyer, Marina Sands, Sentosa and Clarke Quay ride lined up (in a one week holiday).

Look forward to replies. Thank you very much in advance!

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,926 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast with Orangutans - suitable for 3 year old? USS?

1/ probably NOT.

2/ all MAJ)OR uss attractions/ rides do have height restriction ( children lower than 120 cm are not allowed). Some merry-go-round carousels are OK for 3 y/o though.............. but having in mind that the USS is fairly expensive attraction i would postpone your visit until your kid can fully enjoy it.

3/ no idea. Are you sure <<fire-station orientation>> is the best interesting activity for small child??? I suggest to switch it for Build-a-bear.

http://www.buildabear.com.sg/locations

4/ http://www.polw.com.sg/

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast with Orangutans - suitable for 3 year old? USS?

The zoo is generally a great option for families and young children. There is a kids play area with water park so be sure to bring swimming gear or an extra set of clothes for your child. The orangutans are jovial; it's hard to tell if your son will enjoy it or not. But the breakfast food should be a good distraction.

Children aged 3 years and below enjoy free admission to USS. And that's because there are minimum height restrictions on many of the rides. You can visit these shows with your child - Monster Rock and Waterworld. The rides you can go with your child are below. Be warned that waiting times for some of these rides may be up to an hour or more, because many families with young children are limited to going for these rides only.

- Lights, Camera, Action (simulated hurricane in NY harbour)

- Accelerator (spinning teacup ride)

- Treasure hunters (a short ride on a jeep that goes around a track)

- Dino soarin (merry go round)

- magic potion spin (ferris wheel)

- shrek 4d adventure (3d show with effects)

- king julien's beach party go round (merry go round)

Many young children have been on fire station visits and it is definitely suitable for your child. It is free, so if you have the time it is definitely worth it. The Central Fire Station at Hill Street in particular is over 100 years old. Attached next to it is the Civil Defence Heritage Gallery which is a showcase of the history of the local fire brigade. Admission is also free. You should be able to just walk in on Saturday at 9am, but just to be sure, you can make a booking by filling up the online form here scdf.gov.sg/content/scdf_internet/en/communi…

Besides the popular attractions, you can consider the Singapore Science Centre. It's abit of a trip though since it's near the western end of the island.

Edited: 7:59 pm, May 21, 2012
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast with Orangutans - suitable for 3 year old? USS?

Thank you Schonefeld for your inputs. The 2 sites you've mentioned sound interesting. Let me fit them into my schedule.

Thank you for the valuable tips on USS Accidental Tourist. I had planned 4 - 5 hours in USS. Given the peak season timings and the hot summer (though we are used to it, coming from South India!) I shall plan accordingly. Maybe a short nap in the hotel in the afternoon or something.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,926 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast with Orangutans - suitable for 3 year old? USS?

/Meera_Prashant,

you`re welcome.

happy planning and enjoy your vacation in SIN.

Alexandra, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast with Orangutans - suitable for 3 year old? USS?

Thanks for the Fire Station Orientation idea - I've never heard of it before. We're heading to Singapore next month and will definitely put it on our itinerary for Saturday morning - the kids think it's a great idea :-)

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast with Orangutans - suitable for 3 year old? USS?

Hmmmm... I'll see if I can add Central Fire Station / Civil Defence Heritage Gallery into the list of attractions on TA Singapore.

Edited: 10:48 am, May 22, 2012
goa
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast with Orangutans - suitable for 3 year old? USS?

hi, i have a 3 y.o as well and we are planning to go this June. I have the following questions please:

1. Did you do the b'fast with orangutan. how was it? did your kid enjoy that?

2. in the USS visit, how is it for the 3 y.o i mean what kind of ride restrictions are there for them?

3. which hotel would you recommend for the stay

Thanks

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,926 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast with Orangutans - suitable for 3 year old? USS?

ShivGoa,

If you have a PERSONAL question for the member or OP, please use PM. Otherwise if you seek the advice from TA community, please start your OWN topic instead of posting in the dead thread.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breakfast with Orangutans - suitable for 3 year old? USS?

Hi,

This might be a bit late, but it might help other posters...

You don't really get up close and personal with the orang utans. You can get to touch and carry a snake (a small one) but that's it. It's OK if your son isn't "brave" and might be better for him? My son is fearless and so he was a little disappointing. The food is not fantastic either.

i think the feeding timess of the animals (orang utan included) are great though! And if you son isn't that brave, you can do the feeding and he gets to see the animal up close as well.

Fire Station: I have done that. I think it's very cool and a great activity for a 3 year old. My son has been to two stations, three times. He will get to try the jets (water, so be prepared that he may get his feet wet - depending on his shoes. My son isn't bothered by that, but I know some other kids don't like that. You don't need to make an appointment, Just walk in.

I personally felt that the other fire stations are nicer. I've been to another one - twice. The other onces are more personal (less crowded, that's why) and they even gave our hats to the kids. And obligingly slid down the pole many times, among allowing my son to sit in whichever vehicle he wanted for almost as long as he liked.

Build a bear is also quite cool. And it doesn't have to be a bear. You can choose other animals!

Hope this helps.

Edited: 1:41 am, June 01, 2013
goa
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breakfast with Orangutans - suitable for 3 year old? USS?

hi

@schnoefield: first of all it is not a 'personal question. others having similar situation (3 y.o child , questions on the b'fast with orangutan) could stand to benefit too rather than by a PM which only i stand to benefit. Secondly, if this was a dead thread, it would have been indicated so by the administrator...

@ jade_du : your inputs are much appreciated.Thanx...:)