We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Time to Visit Singapore

toronto
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Best Time to Visit Singapore

When is the best time to visit Singapore? Weather, Crowds, etc.? I am told July is the best time for shopping bargains.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Time to Visit Singapore

The weather, the crowds and the shopping are much the same all year round. We have been December, January, February, May and June and there is really no difference. Singapore is expensive for shopping and there are very little bargains to be had.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Oklahoma city, OK
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Time to Visit Singapore

Weather is cooler in December; it can be bloody hot and humid in midsummer. Despite the tourist hype there is something to seeing Singapore lit up during the holidays.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Time to Visit Singapore

Agree. Weather does not differ much at all throughout the year. It is almost always crowded - but sometimes can be a bit more crowded, such as shopping around CNY can be very crowded.

Singapore also just became host of a F1 race - this year end of Sept. Already people are having trouble finding hotels around that time (and a week or so before and after) - and hotel rates also seem to be increased at that time. I would avoid F1 times.

Shopping is relatively expensive compared to other SE Asia nations and you will not necessary find a lot of bargains in the malls. But, you may find some interesting stuff in the more "ethnic" areas of Singapore (Chinatown, Little India, Arab Street), but they won't be super cheap - but maybe some things you cannot find in Toronto - though I think Toronto has a lot of Chinese and Indians - so who knows.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Chinatown
Chinatown
11,174 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Little India
Little India
3,455 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Arab Street
Arab Street
2,029 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Time to Visit Singapore

As far as shopping bargains, I think habby1 may be referring to the Great Singapore Sale. It's scheduled for 23 May - 20 July this year. See http://www.greatsingaporesale.com.sg.

Singapore weather and crowds are pretty much the same year-round (except for the F1 this year, as previously mentioned). But I would avoid Nov-Jan, as you can get weeks of non-stop rain during this time.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Texas
Level Contributor
898 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Time to Visit Singapore

BanaPona, do you know the exact date of F1 race?

Is it on the weekend; 26-28 of Sept08?

I am also having trouble finding hotels...

Thanks!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Time to Visit Singapore

Yep - http://www.singaporegp.sg/

Texas
Level Contributor
898 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Time to Visit Singapore

Thanks, BanaPona! I will change our itinerary and see how it goes

8. Re: Best Time to Visit Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, September 19, 2009