We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast help

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
196 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast help

Hi we are coming to Singapore for 4 days and 3 nights. I don't want grief about indulging in the culture std as we will be, however our 7 year old doesn't eat eggs and is used to the same weetabix, or toast.

The reviews of the breakfast at our hotel are awful. We are likely to wake early due to jet lag, what would you do for breakfast please? She won't eat eggs either, sorry to ask.

As I can't bring food into the country I'm at a bit of a loss. Is there somewhere to get cereal bars or biscuits to carry through til later on

Edited: 10:55 am, June 11, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
8 replies to this topic
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast help

You can get cereal bars and biscuits at every supermarket in Singapore. You can also find fast food outlets nearly everywhere where there is a shopping centre. Where are you staying by the way?

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast help

If your 7yr old eats toast then hit any of the huge number of toast based breakfast places...be that a chain like Toastbox or Ya Kun Kaya an independant place. Just get the toast, no eggs unless you have a 'set' (like in McDs where you have just the burger or have it as a meal, in Singapore you have either just the toast or extras in a set). Thats one of my standards for breakfast in Singapore as my wife loves the thick toast with peanut butter for breakfast.

Failing that, hit a supermarket nearby and get some cereal that they will eat. Without you naming the hotel its hard to make specific recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
25,115 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast help

I carry in muesli/cereal bars or breakfast cereal in my checked-in luggage into Singapore. Never had a problem bringing it in, packed securely in a plastic Tupperware container. Not a lot, just enough cereal for my first mornings breakfast as sometimes my flight lands at night. I pop to a nearby supermarket on arrival and get a little carton of milk and a banana or some fruit/berries, and I have a small plastic bowl, plate and spoon packed. Then when I wake at odd times such as 5am I can make a coffee and Special K cereal/fruit, or a muesli bar and some grapes. One time I even brought in a tiny carton of long-life semi-skimmed milk, securely wrapped in my luggage. Popped that into the hotel room fridge on arrival.

Where did you read that you can’t bring a little bit of food into Singapore?

If you say which hotel you will be staying at we can help you with the location of a nearby supermarket too.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
196 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast help

Sorry I'm staying at York hotel but the bad reviews are not my opinion as I haven't eaten there and I didn't like to be rude.

I read i can't take any food in or off the airplane on the forum? I wish I could remember where but it was 3 months ago and that people got fined for doing so

Mentioned in this post
York Hotel
York Hotel
1,438 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
25,115 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast help

I can’t take food from the plane meals and bring it into Australia. I have to throw the fresh fruit/apple etc away. But what’s a different thing and country. People can get fined for bringing in prohibited food items into some countries.

If you pack a little bit of cereal or cereal bars in your checked-in luggage you can bring it into Singapore. I do it all the time.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast help

I am sure your hotel breakfast will have toast and cereal. Hard to get that wrong, no matter how bad the reviews are. Youn daughter could eat there and you could eat later when heading out.

Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast help

There is a supermarket just 300m down the road (towards Orchard Road) in Paragon Mall. And another one a across Orchard road in basement of Takashimaya. You can easliy get fresh or UHT milk and also cereal or Weetabix. Also at Paragon (on the road side opp Mt Elizabeth Hospital) there is ToastBox where they serve coffee and toast and some other local food. I am sure you will be able to find something your daughter likes (for breakfast) around Orchard road area

Mentioned in this post
Orchard Road
Orchard Road
11,291 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Takashimaya Singapore
Takashimaya Singapore
617 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
The Elizabeth Hotel by Far East Hospitality
The Elizabeth Hotel by...
1,631 Reviews