We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Tour of Cebu City

singapore
Level Contributor
736 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Tour of Cebu City

Hi

I am working out a walking tour based on my hotel location, Please advise if I am on the right path. The details are as follows:

Walk out of Crown Regency and walk straight down Osmena Boulevarde until I get to Plaza Independencia. Will I be passing the following sights on the way to Plaza Independencia :

1. Magellan's Cross

2. Sto Nino Basilica

3. Sto Nino Basilica Museum and

4. Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral

When I reach Plaza Independencia, is Fort San Pedro nearby.

At Plaza Independiencia, I should turn left then turn right at Legaspi Extension then walk down to Pier 1. Are the following sights close to Pier 1:

1. Casa Gorordo

2. Heritage of Cebu Monument

3. Yap San Diego

Please also advise if Carbon Market is within walking distance from Crown Regency and whether it can be included in the above walking tour.

All information and advice are greatly appreciated.

Sandy

Happy Juanderer Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
Planet Action Adventure Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Cebu Exclusive Holiday
Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Tour of Cebu City

bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/cebu_tour.h…

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,645 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Tour of Cebu City

For a Singaporean who is used to walk a lot yes those places can be reached by foot but I must say that Cebu City is NOT like Singapore where roads are built with pathways for pedestrians and even for bicycle riders.

A friendly suggestion from me is to take a taxi to those places. There are plenty of taxis and what you will pay to reach those would even be less than the flagdown rate of Singaporean taxis. Take advantage of cheap taxi rates in Cebu City.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,752 posts
1,934 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Tour of Cebu City

Why not hire Tripadvisor recommended private driver Danny Noy who can arrange a city tour for you. We did this and found it a time efficient way to explore the city. His prices are very reasonable. 5 hour car hire including driver and fuel cost around 1500 Php from memory.

Tommo

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
601 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking Tour of Cebu City

All your above sites are relatively near each other, but from your hotel, it is 1.5-2km walking distance. It is more advisable to take a taxi which will cost you equivalent to 2 sing dollars to any of those sites. Either you start at casa gorordo where yap sandiego and jesuit museum are close by, or at sto nino where the magellan cross is next door, and carbon market and the cathedral is nearby. Try plotting using google maps. I wouldnt rely on the estimated time though, the actual time is longer than their estimates.

Edited: 9:20 pm, September 14, 2013
singapore
Level Contributor
736 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking Tour of Cebu City

Hi All

Thank you for your information and your prompt response.

Sandy

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,211 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking Tour of Cebu City

If the idea is to walk for exercise while visiting the sights/sites, then it is is a good idea to walk from Crown Regency to the sites and back again. It is a walk I would be happy to do!

If you want to cut down the walking, my suggestion is to catch a taxi to Pier 1 then follow my walking tour, in the link above, then catch a taxi back to Crown regency when the tour is finished.

To answer your questions above

- The only site on Osmena is The Sto Niño Basilica. It's "main" entrance is on Osmena although it has several entrances as the site takes up a city block.

- The Sto Niño Basilica museum is on the same site as the Sto Niño Basilica.

- The Magellan's Cross is beside the Sto Niño Basilica. Although it is more true to say that the Sto Niño Basilica is beside the cross as the cross was there 44 years before the Sto Niño Basilica and is the reason the Sto Niño Basilica is built where it is.

- Plaza Independencia is the space in front of Fort San Pedro. Pier 1 is beside Fort San Pedro.

- Plaza Independencia and Fort San Pedro are so close to Magellan's Cross that you would only walk any way, except if it is raining. When I was running tours of the city, we mostly would walk from Fort San Pedro to Magellan's Cross, as it is only one block.

- Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral is on Legaspi Street, one street over from Osmena.

- It is a short walk from the Cathedral to Heritage of Cebu, if you walk along Mabini Street.

- When you are at Heritage of Cebu, the Sandiego Yap ancestral house is across the road and the Casa Gorordo is around the corner.

- The beginning of the Carbon Markets is out of the way by about 100 metres, when travelling between Plaza Independencia and Magellan's Cross

Edited: 9:22 am, September 15, 2013
singapore
Level Contributor
736 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking Tour of Cebu City

Thank you Big_Jim _Cebu for the detailed answers to my questions.

2 more questions - Is Pier 1 the place to board the Oceanjet Ferry from Cebu to Tagbilaran. What is the cost of the taxi ride from Crown Regency to Pier 1 please.

Regards

Sandy

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,211 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking Tour of Cebu City

Pier 1 is the usual place to catch the OceanJet. However, Pier 1 is under renovation at the moment. I asked when they expected completion and was told November.

In the meantime, OceanJet is operating from pier 3.

Expect about P80 from Crown regency to pier 3 in a taxi.

By the way,

- OceanJet has a promo at the moment. Something like P840 for a return trip, if you return within 5 days and an extra P300 discount if you buy the ticket at least 1 day in advance.

- My favourite is still Supercat. They operate from pier 4.

singapore
Level Contributor
736 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking Tour of Cebu City

Thank you Big_Jim_Cebu. Appreciate your prompt response to my queries.

Sandy

10. Re: Walking Tour of Cebu City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 18, 2014