We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Sharks

Adelaide
Level Contributor
233 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Sharks

We are now visiting Oslab in mid July. Will we still see whale sharks there at this time.

Also I have hurt my shoulder and cannot snorkel as fast as I used to. My question is will I still see whalesharks if I stay in the boat or do you have to snorkel and try to keep up as I have read you do need to be a good swimmer. My partner will be snorkelling. .....and yes I would prefer to see them in the wild.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Sharks

You are virtually guaranteed to see the sharks in Oslob, as the local guides feed them to attract them.

Many people particularly local Filipinos just observe from the boats without swimming, so yes this is doable.

The rate for just the boat trip is less than what you pay to "swim" with them

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Sharks

The whale sharks at Oslob are considered domesticated.

If the boatmen feed them, they will be there.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
233 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Sharks

Do I need to be there at a specific time? When are the feedings and snorkel times.

Can we have a visit and go from Cebu city and back on the same day.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Sharks

Yes, you can do it as a day trip.

If you go by public transport, leave the city by 0400hrs. The whale sharks are only available in the morning.

Hong Kong, China
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Sharks

Going to see the Oslob whale sharks 'out-of-season' is even more ecologically unsound than seeing them 'in-season'. By July the whale sharks should have migrated somewhere else, and the fact that they haven't speaks volumes for the practice of feeding of them. If you want to see whale sharks in July go somewhere they should naturally be at that time.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Sharks

Scotty,

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

7. Re: Whale Sharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 03, 2014